PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Suggs out for year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well. Can't really say that I care.

holy crap. i wonder how he did that in the off season no less.

Suggs is saying that he'll start the year on the PUP and be ready by October..

That is some wishful thinking on his part..

BTW, them drafting Courtney Upshaw was to replace the loss of Jarret Johnson. Losing Suggs puts them a pash rusher down..

holy crap. i wonder how he did that in the off season no less.

Reports are he did it either during a basketball game or at a conditioning test for the team..

All of a sudden the rookie Upshaw becomes a major factor in their defense without even getting to camp.

I would not want to rely on a rookie but that is what they are likely going to do

Latest report I heard is that he thinks he's back by October.

Can't help but be suspcious of a guy with already artificial muscles tearing his Achilles and then claiming he has has the ability to get back in half the normal time. Not sure what's going on there.

I don't root for injuries - even if its a douchebag like Suggs. Patriot fans would be wise to remember how we all felt in September of 2008...we don't want to wish that on any football fans or deprive the game of its best players.

A local Baltimore reporter was on Sirius NFL radio and he said that Suggs was injured playing basketball.

sounds like something that the nfl.com would accept identification as 'working out' just to not embarass the player. so I would give the radio guy 60-40 more likelihood of being the 'real' story.

that said; can anyone say 'Robert Edwards'. And he was done in at the pro-bowl. So I dont think you can blame the player for doing a different sport in the off-season. freak things happen.

bad for the nfl to lose a top talent and bad for the ravens. definitely weakens them; right when it looked like they were going to knock off the squeelers from the top AFCN perch consecutively/for a while.

IMO only helps the pats marginally (only one game & when ? Isn't it later in season when Ravens will have had time to adjust).

Although suggs has been a jerk about the whole camera-gate & brady-skirt thing; there are plenty of other loud-mouth jerks around the nfl and that is not an offense worth wishing injury on anyone. folks should tone that down.

(NOW, malicious intentional injuries [pollard & vilma] and conspiracy to committ murder [lewis]; that would be another story. But those would be about the only 3 guys in the nfl I personally could wish an injury on. )

Suggs is saying that he'll start the year on the PUP and be ready by October..

That is some wishful thinking on his part..

BTW, them drafting Courtney Upshaw was to replace the loss of Jarret Johnson. Losing Suggs puts them a pash rusher down..

October would seem impossible. November to me would seem to be the best case as 6 months is not impossible for ACL. December or January wouldn't seem out of the realm but still pretty optomistic.

A local Baltimore reporter was on Sirius NFL radio and he said that Suggs was injured playing basketball.

Yeah, Shefter's got it as playing basketball http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/198045755913666561, and Ravensinsider (Aaron Wilson) has it as working out. http://twitter.com/RavensInsider/statuses/198046019525677057 Both are usually pretty good with their info, although neither are perfect, so it should be interesting to see how the two positions are reconciled.

Last edited:
(only one game & when ? Isn't it later in season when Ravens will have had time to adjust).
ok, just looked at schedule. game 3. so they might not have fully adjusted; but still how many probowlers have sat out for Pats in various games throughout the years when we had IR lists out the azz. they have to deal with injuries same as the other 31 teams.

Doesn't matter whether Suggs was playing basketball or running drills. If he wasn't doing it with the team at the team facility under team supervision they don't have to pay him. It's considered a NFI. That's the risk all players who choose to train off site (or guys who train while tagged or tendered prior to signing said tender) assume.

That said, it's the team's choice how to treat it and it's a complicated one to make because of precedent and locker room dynamic and potential impact on future contract dealings, etc. The tough part for the Ravens is he's their best defensive player at this juncture (given Ray and Ed are aging aging out and dealing with injuries frequently) and while they did draft a player who can play the position the plan was to bring him along as Ray's successor and not rush him into a starting position but use him to upgrade the overall defense as an addition this season. And on top of all that, they are really tight against the cap, there are no clear cut replacement FA's at the position and they probably can't afford to trade for someone like Osi without cutting corners somewhere else...including not paying Suggs if he's out for the season.

Do we know when this happened? Did it happen in early April but they kept a wrap on it to avoid showing their hand in the draft?...or did it happen a day or two ago?

Never want to see a guy not play because of something like this. He's a competitor and makes our rivalry with the Ravens that much more entertaining. Don't like the guy, but he's a hell of a football player. Bummer.

adbrandt Andrew Brandt twitter
NFL player contract states to "not engage in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury"

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
As @Stephania_ESPN reports, average return from torn Achilles to play in NFL has been around 11 months based on 2006 study. Could be sooner.
32 minutes ago

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Unclear if Terrell Suggs tore Achilles playing basketball or in a conditioning test. Suggs thinks he could be back in October, per source.
about an hour ago

NFL Football Teams, Scores, Stats, News, Standings, Rumors - National Football League - ESPN

Implications..honestly, the only threat I see to the Pats this year is the Texans and the Steelers. The Ravens are already long in the tooth on defense, and I don't expect the offense to be significantly better either. And no I don't the Broncos are going anywhere also.

Implications..honestly, the only threat I see to the Pats this year is the Texans and the Steelers. The Ravens are already long in the tooth on defense, and I don't expect the offense to be significantly better either. And no I don't the Broncos are going anywhere also.

I kind of agree in that this injury benefits the Steelers more than the Patriots. And the Steelers have the stronger team (than the Ravens).

Terrible news for Baltimore, sorry to hear.

Personally, I hate to see injuries for the simple reason you want your team to have the opportunity to beat other teams at their best. Plus, as many posters noted here in '08, it seems like poor form to celebrate injuries, regardless of whether you believe in "karma".

For better or (often) worse, this seems like the most eventful offseason in recent memory.

I've gotta agree that you all are sitting in the catbird's seat entering the season. That said, every year there's so much turnover in the playoffs. Like last season, when the Texans finally evolved (shame about their injuries!) and the 49ers came out of nowhere. Who knows, the Bungles may build on last season and become the dominant team in the AFCN...

And every year you have to add "injuries" to your list of threats...just look what it did to Houston (and to a lesser extent Pitt) at the end of last season. Some years you're lucky in that regard, other seasons you're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back