PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Suggestion for all real Pats fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my suggestion. This week, go grab your 2001 season DVD and watch it. Make sure you focus in on Brady. Focus in in the line play of Light, Andruzzi, Woody, Compton and Robinson Randall.

Than come back here and post. Talk to me about the line play from then. Talk to me about Brady throwing these amazingly long passes to Troy Brown, David Patten and Charles Johnson. Then start making comparisons to Cassel and the line play of Light, Mankins, Koppen, Yates, and Kaczur.

Honestly, I wish Andruzzi was healthy, because he'd be better than Yates at RG

One thing I don't want to hear about is the WRs. The WRs aren't an issue right now. The O-line and the QB situation is.

Here is my suggestion. This week, go grab your 2001 season DVD and watch it. Make sure you focus in on Brady. Focus in in the line play of Light, Andruzzi, Woody, Compton and Robinson Randall.

Than come back here and post. Talk to me about the line play from then. Talk to me about Brady throwing these amazingly long passes to Troy Brown, David Patten and Charles Johnson. Then start making comparisons to Cassel and the line play of Light, Mankins, Koppen, Yates, and Kaczur.

One thing I don't want to hear about is the WRs. The WRs aren't an issue right now. The O-line and the QB situation is.

agreed. As I said in this thread;
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/137323-not-time-panic-yet.html

People need to look at Bradys 2001 season before burning Cassel at the stake. The TEAM has issues right now, but it's only week 3.

I for one, was defending the o-line all offseason. I felt they played pretty well last year, but so far this year, i'm not all that impressed. It's early, and I have faith that the team will improve.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/137323-not-time-panic-yet.html

People need to look at Bradys 2001 season before burning Cassel at the stake. The TEAM has issues right now, but it's only week 3.

I for one, was defending the o-line all offseason. I felt they played pretty well last year, but so far this year, i'm not all that impressed. It's early, and I have faith that the team will improve.

Heck, just go back to the 2005 season (granted, there the problem was more the D than the O). . . four weeks in, were you certain that the Patriots were going to right the ship?

Last edited:

I don't have to go back and look at old tape, I realize these things happen. Its been a looong time since we were given a good beat down,we were do. I'm not panicking after one game.
The way I look at it we got our really bad game of the year out of the way.

Last edited:
I don't think it is the O-line, in our system the QB sets the final protection. Remember the first play of 2006? Brady got claubered and fumbled the football which was returned for a TD?

Cassel has to learn how to set his protection and make his reads properly. But anyone who puts this loss on the offense shouldn't be allowed to post here anymore!

To blame one part of this team for one of its worst defeats in a very long time, really defeats what happened yesterday.. instead of blaming part of this team, blame the whole team.. from what I saw no one played well.. to maintain this win streak has been taxing, just like the undefeated streak... we still do not know much about this team, after our West Coast Road Trip will know a little more... I know this team is much better than the team that showed up yesterday.

Very true....it's early and we've had to make some big adjustments in the O area.
Yesterday, we got run over though. Our D was pathetic. We'll fill the holes and get better as the year progresses. Like most of the players say.....you gotta stay positive!

Our D was the reason for the loss.

I agree...it is the whole team...it'd hard for the O line to block all when a team is blitzing..and did Brady learn to do?? Find the area where they came from and hit a receiver there way in the open.... Will take Cassel time to learn that...but it was also teh D..who got fooled on a few formations...and when they kept using them..made them look silly. It happens when teams are desperate like the Fins..they needed to do something..and they found a solution to yesterday's game..Been a long time since something like yesterday happened...and 2 weeks to another game.. THAT is tough!!

I agree...it is the whole team...it'd hard for the O line to block all when a team is blitzing..and did Brady learn to do?? Find the area where they came from and hit a receiver there way in the open.... Will take Cassel time to learn that...but it was also teh D..who got fooled on a few formations...and when they kept using them..made them look silly. It happens when teams are desperate like the Fins..they needed to do something..and they found a solution to yesterday's game..Been a long time since something like yesterday happened...and 2 weeks to another game.. THAT is tough!!

yes it is going to be a long two weeks....but at least now the coaching staff can dissect yesterdays loss and determine what to do to get our team back on track.

GO PATS!!

matt cassel is scared in the pocket, no queston about it in my opinion.

I re watched the game, ( i have no idea why) , but it is true the o line has not played well since the jax playoff game.. The O line is not playing the same, they are getting beat off the ball.. And when the d failed like it did yesterday, matt cassel right now cant bring the team from behind, but he could manage the game from ahead or if its close.. But when the O line wont give you time, the happy feat happens and the rush of the throws occur.

Good post - I think you hit the real issue here, the O-Line. I've been saying for years that Brady takes them from above average to great. Now, without Brady and without their starting RG, and with their starting RT having a rough start to the year - they are struggling. As far as I'm concerned, all these short passes and dump offs have a lot less to do with Cassel's arm strength, and a lot more to do with the fact that the O-Line right now probably couldn't give Cassel enough time to let these downfield plays develop.

You know, reading the "chicken-Little" threads since yesterday reminds me of all the same sort of craptacular threads posted after we got blown up 31-zip by Buffalo. Brady didn't play like Brady then, either. No one played like the team on fire they became later, and that was on opening day! Fairweather fans were already writing the team off and preparing to hang themselves or leap off the Tobin bridge after that one single game.

To heck with that. It's one loss. We are now 2-1. There are 13 more games to play, and I am not willing or even considering writing off this team.

Respects,

Yates is an issue, but the bigger issue on that right side is the guy next to him, #77, Mr. Kazcur, he has to be the worst RT in football right now. Week in, week out, he's getting abused, that's one 4th round pick from Toledo that even the great Dante S can't do anything with. Unfortunately Wesley Britt never stepped up and he's the best we can do until the draft and FA rolls around.

Andruzzi is fully recovered. He's far from game shape though.

Good post - I think you hit the real issue here, the O-Line. I've been saying for years that Brady takes them from above average to great. Now, without Brady and without their starting RG, and with their starting RT having a rough start to the year - they are struggling. As far as I'm concerned, all these short passes and dump offs have a lot less to do with Cassel's arm strength, and a lot more to do with the fact that the O-Line right now probably couldn't give Cassel enough time to let these downfield plays develop.

That, right there, is what I think is really deciding the playcalling. I'm sure the coaches aren't anxious for another injured quarterback. Cassel's getting hit enough as it is.

Of course, I haven't had the opportunity to see the game yet, so I guess I shouldn't be commenting on it.

why are we still making comparisons to brady's first season with cassels?

besides the fact that not only was the pats completely differnt then, but so was the rest of the nfl and it's not even fair to compare.

cassel didnt lose the game yesturday, but he certainly played like crap. the ball was everywhere, and usually not where it was suppose to be.

I don't think it is the O-line, in our system the QB sets the final protection. Remember the first play of 2006? Brady got claubered and fumbled the football which was returned for a TD?

Cassel has to learn how to set his protection and make his reads properly. But anyone who puts this loss on the offense shouldn't be allowed to post here anymore!

This is not entirely true. Cassel is responsible for calling out the Mike or calling out max protect. Koppen is the responsible for the any adjustments in protection being passed to the O-linemen.

Also, please go back and watch yesterday's game and tell me how its Cassel's fault that Koppen and Yates were being pushed into the pocket. Explain how its Cassel's fault that he couldn't contain Joey Porter. Explain how its Cassel's fault that Mankins got beat by Philip Merling.

There is plenty of blame to go around for this loss. But it starts in the trenches. The D-line played horribly and the O-line was just as bad.

This is not entirely true. Cassel is responsible for calling out the Mike or calling out max protect. Koppen is the responsible for the any adjustments in protection being passed to the O-linemen.

Also, please go back and watch yesterday's game and tell me how its Cassel's fault that Koppen and Yates were being pushed into the pocket. Explain how its Cassel's fault that he couldn't contain Joey Porter. Explain how its Cassel's fault that Mankins got beat by Philip Merling.

There is plenty of blame to go around for this loss. But it starts in the trenches. The D-line played horribly and the O-line was just as bad.

I don't think I can stomach rewatching that game - at least for a few days. I will be honest I was at the game and I spent a good deal of the time watching how they covered Moss. Obviously on tv you don't always get a good view of the receivers down field, so I figured I would pay attention to that. And every single play they roled a safety over top of him.

I will take your word for it, I have no reason to doubt it. It was a horrible game all the way around with ST's being the lone exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes