Welcome to PatsFans.com

Substitute Teacher shows "Brokeback" to 12 year olds!!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by FreeTedWilliams, May 14, 2007.

1. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +288 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/5/14/90143.shtml?s=ic

I can't see how anyone would think this is appropriate viewing for 12 year olds. I admit that I have not watched this movie, but the reviews from Mrs FTW were that the "love" scenes were very graphic and violent and certainly not fit for 12 year olds (hence the R rating).

Once again more proof that the government school system is very "broken" (pun intended).

2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

From the link:

Telling your kid to just run away if they ever hear words to that effect really ought to be on the first page of the Parenting 101 textbook. How it the world does somebody like that get a Master's Degree and a teaching certificate?

3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

That's $#%@'d up.

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Mrs. Buford needs to be let go and move on to another profession, what I find interesting is how it is polarized as a liberal vs. conservative issue in the blogs, while it is just an idiotic move by someone who should not be teaching or around kids. This is underreported on both sides of the aisle.

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

This teacher would be idiotic if the characters in the story were heterosexual, too. Sex scenes in a movie for a 12 year-old are insane. There must have been some PC agenda at work. And what teacher shows a Hollywood movie in class? Maybe a little more effort as far as the teaching thing goes, huh? Stupid, abusive, and lazy is no way to go through life.

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -11

The movie is quite sensitively done. I don't think it was graphic at all and there's maybe one scene that an adult would perceive as sexual. It's really a story about love that can't be realized; therein is its power. But, that said, I think any 12 year old would have found it tedious and dull, and I doubt if they would have even understood what the film was about. They would have seen it as an incredibly dull cowboy movie.

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

:rofl:

Sure, they'd only see it as a cowboy movie.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I guess I had seen some 'after school special' shizzz about homosexuality in the 8th grade, it goes along with sex education. I see no problem with showing kids that are entering the puberty/hormonal stage of life that something like this needs to be broght up and discussed. Being gay is not a choice, its genetic. Stop being afraid of gay people, they are human beings.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

The "R" rating & 12 years olds has nothing to do with our sentiment. Maybe we should show Scarface to that same class as a tool to exhibit the effects of immigration on our nation. I'm sure the 12 year olds would only see it as a cops and robbers movie. :D

10. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Only goes to show that every possible opinion, no matter how befuddling, is represented on the internet.

11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You are totally friggin clueless on this matter, Patters.
    You know I don't give a flying fu-k about the sexual preference of anyone. I do care about the innocence kids get to enjoy and we, as adults, should do all we can to preserve it as long as we can. Teenage years and adulthood are difficult enough- no need to rush it. Movies like this - that is, ANY R-rated movie - is out of bounds for a 12 year-old...PERIOD.

And Holy Diver, this has nothing to do with homosexuality, IMO. It has to do with foolish behavior of a teacher who should be fired. If a parent wants to watch an R-rated movie, that's one thing, and they'll suffer the consequences, but this is not the realm of the classroom of a 7th grade teacher.

12. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +514 / 13 / -12

#24 Jersey

Regardless of my feelings on people who are gay, it should not be in schools. I don't want schools to be pro gay or anti gay - it's none of their f*cking business. English, Math, Science, History. Thank you very much I will take the rest from there.

13. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

somehow treating gay people as human beings is befuddling to you?

great, I'm excited for the future.

14. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I see your point on the teacher overstepping her bounds, makes sense to me.

15. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

This thread is about a teacher showing a specific movie in a middle school class, not gay rights. There's a happy middle ground: treat gay people as human beings but don't show Brokeback Mountain to 12 year olds.

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  16. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +288 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

I tried to keep the gay thing out of this, because it really had nothing to do with what I thought was the inappropriatness (I think I just made up a new word, somebody check with Webster) of the teacher's actions.

I used to be a 7th grade teacher, and I would have never shown a movie in class, first off, most classes are 50 minutes or so, and secondly it is hard to justify as education. (Sadly many kids are shown movies weekly in lieu of getting an actual education these days).

I distinctly remember having to watch the entire "Roots" mini-series in Jr high, and they did send out permission slips for it. But you are heading down a slippery slope when you leave the eductation of your children to the Hollywood elites who take giant leaps away from the truth in movies they claims are "based on real events".

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

You're disagreeing with the (in)tolerant on this board. You're a homophobe, face it. :p

18. Real World

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

Call him a homophobe. He likes to label other people as such. :D

19. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

A point to consider is that this was an 8th grade class. Aren't those generally inhabited by 14 year olds? I seem to recall the plan back in my day was to graduate (grade 12) at age 18. Dial that back 4 grades to grade 8 and you get 14, not 12. So unless that's changed and America now graduates 16 year olds from High School I think the context is a bit different. I know I though of little else than sex at age 14 and so did about all of my male classmates. All I can say for sure about the females was that they most definitely weren't thinking about sex with me:D

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

"Hi Ho Silver", "Gettum Up Scout", "we'll head them off at the pass Tonto" "Ugh"
    :bricks: