Welcome to PatsFans.com

Subpoenas are in for White House

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Jun 13, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

go f^ck yourself, Karl...

BREAKING: Top White House Officials Subpoenaed Over Attorney Scandal

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/06/13/breaking-top-white-house-officials-subpoenaed/

Former White House counsel Harriet Miers and former top Karl Rove aide Sara Taylor, who served as White House political director before resigning last month, have been issued subpoenas over their connections to the U.S. attorney scandal.

UPDATE: These are the first subpoenas delivered to the White House regarding the attorney firings. The House Judiciary Committee issued the subpoena to Miers, and the Senate Judiciary Committee issued the subpoena to Taylor. Emails showing Taylor and Miers deeply involved in the Justice Department’s response to the scandal were released last night.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

It goes on and on, perhaps one of George's 9 new lawyers will file all kinds of appeals to stop this on some constitutional grounds.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +378 / 1 / -9

No Sh!t, Wow!!!
  4. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +132 / 7 / -13

What Attorney scandal the WH actions were perfectly legal.
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yes of course... subpeonas and hearings are routine... politicizing criminal investigations that have no merit? also normal... politicizing criminal investigations that do have merit? what's the big deal?
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I guess we'll see, won't we? In the meantime it's already forced some resignations, so there is indeed a scandal.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +378 / 1 / -9

Oh Boy
    We Got Him Now

:singing: :singing: :singing:
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -24

I guess the 9 new lawyers will show how legal it really was, eh!!!
  9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +378 / 1 / -9

Kill The Bastards
  10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +132 / 7 / -13

What statute do you feel was being violated?

The lawyers were/are presidential appointees and serve at the pleasure of the president and can be dismissed at any time with or without cause.
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

At the very least it seems like DOJ officials lied in sworn testimony to congress. Also a scandal doesn't have to involve anything illegal. If the President tried to nominate a child to his cabinet, it wouldn't be illegal, but you can bet it would be a scandal.
  12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +132 / 7 / -13

So basically it is a scandal not because anything was done wrong, but because the MSM or dems say it a scandal....
  13. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Go stand outside and take a poll. On the firings. And the possible lying to Congress. It's a scandal if people feel that it is.
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +321 / 4 / -2

It's a scandal if something illegal happened, i.e. laws were broken. The firings were sloppily handled, and the admin is getting what it deserves for being incompitent. However, this is clearly being politicized by the opposing party who has the means to, an the MSM who will capitalize on the 30%'s as much as can be. Again though, you get what you deserve, so I feel no pity for the WH. Politicians should be careful though, cuz as politics in this country go, and as the cyclicity of history has proven us, what comes around goes around.

And the american people are the ones who suffer. :mad:
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +321 / 4 / -2

And another thing, take a poll and it's a....nevermind, I almost forgot who I was replying to. Afterall, "majority rules".

Unless of course if you're a Massachusetts citizen waiting for a ballot question on Gay Marraige.
  16. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Are the Democrats politicizing it? Yeah? Do I care? No. I want to see the Administration punished for it and I don't care if it makes the Dems look good. They'll be the guilty party the next time around and the dance will continue.

As for Massachusetts and majority rules, you must have us confused with a Democracy. In fact we're a Republic, where a majority of our elected reps rule. Everything was by the book - to get a measure on the ballot takes 50 votes in two consecutive legislatures. I can see people being pissy if they didn't vote at all, but they voted and your side lost, fairly.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +321 / 4 / -2

Sure, it was a legitimately done, just like the tolls on the MassPike, and that "temporary" 5.95% state income tax. baaaaaaa.........

Like I said, you get what you deserve, and the WH gets no pity from me. I'm merely telling you what this is all about is all.
  18. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and, yes... it's routine that, now, 5 top officials would resign... because of course, everything was "perfectly legal"...

Breaking: Fifth Top Justice Official Linked To Attorney Scandal Resigns

Mike Elston, chief of staff to Deputy Attorney General Paul McNulty, has become the fifth Justice Department official to resign after being linked to the firings of several U.S. attorneys:

Elston’s resignation is effective at the end of next week. Reached Friday afternoon, he confirmed his plans to leave but would not say why.

Elston is a key figure in several recent Justice Department scandals:

– Last month, Elston admitted that at the direction of McNulty, he placed calls to four fired U.S. attorneys calls that three of the prosecutors say involved threats not to testify before Congress about their dismissals. Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) said that Elston’s calls were one of many examples in this scandal that have the “whiff of obstruction of justice.”

– Former Missouri U.S. Attorney Bradley Schlozman recently testified that he had consulted with Elson about filing controversial voter fraud indictments a week before the 2006 election. Former Justice Department officials have said that Schlozman’s call to Elston was “inappropriate” and may have been part of an effort to “pressure” Election Crimes chief Craig Donsanto into approving the indictments. [Link]

– Elston came under fire for allegedly politicizing the DoJ Honors Program, a highly selective program for entry-level DOJ lawyers. A group of anonymous Justice Department employees complained that “Elston rejected hundreds of potential applicants to the program last year seemingly based on their political backgrounds.” [Link]​
  19. PF1996

PF1996 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You write some of the dumbest things on this forum. A scandal doesn't require illegality, only impropriety. If President Bush was caught having an affair with his daughter's 25 year old boyfriend, it would be a scandal even though the affair itself isn't illegal because NO LAWS WERE BROKEN. Politicians politicize - it's the way they get dumb people like you to vote for them. However, whether or not "politicizing" is occuring is not relevant to the merits of the case. The fact that the most frequent "conservative" claim is that "it's being politicized" suggests that the case does have merit.
  20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

kinda hard to argue that one... RW? your move...