PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stupidity from John Clayton

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Goodell said he considered a suspension, but he felt the draft choice penalty and the fines have a more lasting effect on the franchise. That's a fine premise, but spying affects the outcome of individual games. Taking Belichick out of one game could affect the Patriots' chances of making the playoffs. For example, he's still coaching Sunday's game against the Chargers, and if he wins, he will have a potential home field tie-breaker if the two teams finish with the same record.

Here's the problem with Goodell's decision. Whether by design or not, the Patriots had themselves covered for such a penalty because they are so good at what they do. They acquired the 49ers' first-round pick in a trade that enabled the 49ers to select Joe Staley. They have an additional third-round pick from the Raiders in a trade. They have enough draft choices to survive the loss of one first-round choice.

Initial reaction around the league was negative. At the very least, Belichick should have been suspended one or two games along with the draft choice penalties. Those two games could be the difference between the Patriots making the playoffs or not making the playoffs. They have a tough schedule, and it will be hard for them to win more than 11 games with the quality of opponents they'll face.

Umm . . . if you're arguing that the Pats will have trouble winning more than 11 games, then:

(A) you're already assuming the Pats are probably going to lose to San Diego anyways, so what difference would not having Belichick make?

(B) aren't you're also arguing that the JEST (or, even more improbably, the Bills or Dolphins) can do better in their 12 games against common opponents than the Patriots can?

About the only difference a suspension would have made is whether or not the Pats have a first-round bye, not whether they make the playoffs or not.

Thats why we lose a first round pick if we make the playoffs. Goodell pretty much knows that. How he doesn't makes me wonder? Did he forget how pathetic the rest of the division is?

Isn't the title of this thread redundant?

Yes,

perhaps Mr. peabody could use the WayBack Machine to step back in time and rewrite his column. Or maybe find a Proctologist to help unstick his head.....

Umm . . . if you're arguing that the Pats will have trouble winning more than 11 games, then:

(A) you're already assuming the Pats are probably going to lose to San Diego anyways, so what difference would not having Belichick make?

(B) aren't you're also arguing that the JEST (or, even more improbably, the Bills or Dolphins) can do better in their 12 games against common opponents than the Patriots can?

About the only difference a suspension would have made is whether or not the Pats have a first-round bye, not whether they make the playoffs or not.

If the Pats are so good, why cheat???

Man...the media isn't even trying to pretend that this is about "punishment for breaking the rules". They just don't want to see the Pats make the playoffs and win the SB. These guys are sad....

"Expect the Competition Committee to receive approval on using radio communication systems for defensive players. That eliminates the need for hand signals unless the equipment breaks down. The systems will cost owners several hundred thousand dollars. The last vote for the system failed by three votes. For what it's worth, Belichick voted against using radio communication on defense."

What a disgrace of a man. You guys got off easy. At least your 3 super bowls will now have a big asterisk next to them.

Wonder how you'll fare without cheating from now on. You may beat lesser teams but know this, when you face the Colts in Indy you'll realize how much harder we are to beat when you're not cheating. Brace yourselves.

"Expect the Competition Committee to receive approval on using radio communication systems for defensive players. That eliminates the need for hand signals unless the equipment breaks down. The systems will cost owners several hundred thousand dollars. The last vote for the system failed by three votes. For what it's worth, Belichick voted against using radio communication on defense."

What a disgrace of a man. You guys got off easy. At least your 3 super bowls will now have a big asterisk next to them.

Wonder how you'll fare without cheating from now on. You may beat lesser teams but know this, when you face the Colts in Indy you'll realize how much harder we are to beat when you're not cheating. Brace yourselves.

If you're this bored you should seriously think about taking up a hobby, like knitting or GFY.

Where'd Sean Salisbury go? At least someone was being supportive over at ESPN...now everything is quite negative.

Look at the Patriots schedule and tell me for sure they aren't going to win more than 11 games.... Yea I could see them losing 4 or maybe even five games on their schedule but I don't see any of the games on their schedule as a sure lose. and I could almost as easily see them only losing 1-2 games.

What's funny is Clayton still has the Patriots as his SB team but for some reason he thinks their only going to win 11 games?

Look at the Patriots schedule and tell me for sure they aren't going to win more than 11 games.... Yea I could see them losing 4 or maybe even five games on their schedule but I don't see any of the games on their schedule as a sure lose. and I could almost as easily see them only losing 1-2 games.

What's funny is Clayton still has the Patriots as his SB team but for some reason he thinks their only going to win 11 games?

These are all good points on this thread, but the thing is, Clayton reminds me of those bobbleheads. You know, great for the short attention span theatre crowd, but it's entertainment value wears off almost as soon as you've seen it.

So, you're saying the Pats aren't good, and now that they can't cheat, they'll lose and also not win the Super Bowl this year? Is that you're argument?

What will you say if they win the Super Bowl?

Once we win our 4th, him and the rest of the Wallyworld Doofin fans crawl back into the closest Sea World and hang with Flipper.

I'm braced!! Wish we played the Colts this weekend. Mm-m-m. GOD, I wish is was this Sunday!! But, that's OK. We got the Chargers. I'm looking forward to them.

You want to see how this team feels about being regarded as "cheaters"?? Tune in Sunday.

//

I'll say they didn't use the same method to cheat their way to a SB victory. I sure as heck can't say they won't or didn't cheat now can I?

I think the Pats are probably one of the top five most talented teams in the league with outstanding coaching, scouting, owner and FO. However since when does that guarantee victory? It doesn't, but add cheating to the mix and it sure as hell increases the chances doesn't it?? The sad part for Pat fans is the Pats probably won their SB's without cheating, but there's no way of knowing that now and the Pats will forever be remembered for this cheating incident not their ultimate success.

I have to say though coming here and trying to get through all the arrogance that consumes this board is now going to be less of an issue, cause lets face it thanks to BB Pats fans have lost their edge. Sure you can still talk all the trash you want, but everyone knows the Pats did cheat making the fans opinions here less then credible. It's part of the crime, you reap the benefits of success, you also suffer the consequence of the teams actions like cheating. Your no different then anyone else, it's just you have more on the line.....Three SB victories that are now tainted. Just because Pat fans don't think it effects their SB victories doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. This will blow over in the media, but good luck convincing any other football fan outside of NE the Pats are legit.

We don;t need to convince anybody, just like the Packers (gambling scandal), Steelers(Sterioids), and 49'ers and Broncos(Cap cheaters) did not have to.

They are all viewed as dynasties, and so are we ! Take it to bank - staight cash homey :D

Yeah motivation is a wonderful thing, too bad Bill couldn't convince the Pats of that every week or your team might not be in this position in the first place. See it's easy to motivate players when their trying to win something they've never won before, but it gets tougher with the more success you have. Success tends to make people lazy especially athletes.

hmmm success makes athletes lazy.........ok. let me just focus on the past 15 yrs for the #84 genious

1. Jordan and Bulls - 6 in 8
2. Shaq + Kobe Lakers of 90's - 3 straight
3. Pats - 3 in 6
4. Tiger........What a lazy athlete he is, just can't seem to win much
5. Roger Federer........um yep. another hasbeen who can't do much
6. Yankees of late 90's - 4 in 5.......yep lazy bones like Jeter, O'Neill
7. Jersey Devils + Red Wings - yep, another bunch of overpaid successful lazy hockey players who've only managed to win 6 of last 12 Stanley Cups

Care to respond ?

Change "cheat" to "vidoetape" and that is the question that has all Pats fans scratching their heads.

All teams steal signals. The Dolphins admitted it last year. The question is not cheating, it is videotaping.

The Pats are good. So why the videotaping? I dunno.

Technically, they didn't cheat! Nowhere in the Comissioners ruling did he say they cheated. Goddell did state the Patriots DID NOT receive a competitive advantage!

It is legal to video tape opposing coaches as long as its not within the confines of the team coaching area. They can do it from the stands, from a luxury box, they could do an audio tape (sound familiar Dolphins Fans) describing the sognals and down and distance.

Zach Thomas admitted the Dolphins had ana audio / video of all of Brady's audibles.

This ruling is hypocritical and the league is trying to use Belicheck and the Patriots as an example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye