Welcome to PatsFans.com

Stupid Yank (is there another type?) cries in court

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by gomezcat, Feb 23, 2007.

1. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +821 / 7 / -2

3. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Damn! I was trying to be inflammatory, but then you know that. We just saw it on the news and it was unbelievable. How DID he get to be a Judge? The guy is a clown (allegedly). In all seriousness, I think someone needs to look at his conduct as it reflects really badly on the legal profession.

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +821 / 7 / -2

Judges in this country are appointed to life terms. Basically, once they get the job, they own the job. I think GAJ, PAtsfan and I (maybe Pujo too) once discussed how they should be elected. I'm of the mind that they should still be appointed, but only to a term, maybe 8 or 10 years, and elected thereafter. My reasoning is that their being elected would mean that the proper due diligence would tend to be done when initially putting them into power, as most voters would be clueless as to who a guy running would be, and probably wouldn't vote for them other than for name recognition. However, after that initial term, they would have a record, and could then be held accountable by the public. Having an 8-10 year term would help ensure that said judges wouldn't have to rule according to public perception, election. IF they had 4 years, then there would be less to scrutinize,and more to exploit.

5. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

NO to elections of judges, YES to appointments for a term (10 years would be good), with no reappointment allowed.

Not all judges are appointed for life as it is, though. Federal judges are, but this whack was NY state judge. I don't know how they do it in NY.

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +821 / 7 / -2

Why not an election of jugdes after their 10 year term? Also, why prohibit a judge from serving longer than 10 years if said person proves to be a worthy individual?

7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yeah, there's been a lot of blubbering by councel in high-profile courtrooms lately... Scooter Libby's lead attorney wailed during his closing arguments this week... what an embarrassment...

concerning this judge, i was digusted to see this ridiculous trial on every channel yesterday when looking for real news on the Libby trial or the IAEA's latest refutiation of claims against Iranian nuke "plans"... but i must note that this guy was so pretentious and bombastic in the five minutes i was able to stomache, that it seemed like he was drunk... i had to turn it off long before he reportedly blubbered, which really doesn't surprise me...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  8. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Because I don't think judges should answer to public opinion. The public is emotional and wants the results they want, without consideration of the law. Judges have to make rulings according to the law. Every time a judge makes a controvertial ruling, no matter how legally sound it is, they'd be putting their job on the line.

As for why a judge shouldn't be reappointed... it's much for the same reason. Once somebody's been in the position and made judicial decisions, I don't like the idea of them having to go through a process where their decisions are politically judged. I feel a lot less strongly about that than I do about the election of judges, though.

9. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Everyone in America, barring Mrs. Seidlin, is making fun of this clown. Besides crying in court, he also called the attorneys by where they're from. Like, "Texas, you're on the stand," or "I need your papers California." Also he would go on about his personal life, such as his time as a cab driver and where he went to vacation with his family. Clearly he loved the spotlight.

10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I don't know if judges should be elected, appointed, or picked by those clowns on American Idol. I just know that guy shouldn't be one.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +821 / 7 / -2

I see your point, but disagree. I think limiting their tenure without a chance of continuation would mean a much higher turnover, and thus a more radical set of rulings which would result is very inconsistent precedents being set. One of the benefits of the longer tenures is judicial consistentcy. I don't think their is a perfect scenario that would appease all concerns, or every prespective, but limitation without the opportunity of continuance would be a bad idea. To me anyway. It's an interesting discussion none the less.

12. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You might be right on the reappointment issue, though a maximum number of terms might still be a good idea to keep people from being too entrenched, in the same way that we limit Presidential terms (and should limit congressional ones, too). When someone's in a position of power for too long, they start to feel like they're king.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  13. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

It's one of the problems that we have with the appointment system in the UK; to say that some of our judges have lost touch with reality is an understatement. One judge actually congratulated a rapist on using a condom during his attack.
    That said, I think that I prefer them to be appointed, as it means that they at least have the correct tools to do the job from a legal perspective. Interestingly, there are few accusations of political bias levelled against our judges. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

Couldn't agree more! :) :rocker:

15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

The Judge (in the Smith whore story)
    Its very scary to think that someday you or someone in your family would have to go before a Sh!t Head A$s Hole like this Judge and have them pass a decision on you that would affect your life.

Does anybody know who appointed this Moron Bastard?

While I'm on it, looks like the old Freak Bag Anna Nicole is bigger news than Scooter Libby.

Watching the "sick exibitionist" Smith showing her gums and pushing her tits up makes you sort of understand why the Muslims want to behead us all.

What in the name of God did that Whore ever do to make her a household name outside of marrying that old babbling rich idiot?
    :bricks:

16. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

That's the point where the story stops being funny. It's a great point. The guy is (allegedly- I don't want to get Ian sued :D) a complete f*ckwit.

17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

Good point Harry, I'll try to find out, odds are it was a liberal. ;)

18. gomezcat

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Enough already. :violent: :D

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

It is what it is, the judicial system is overrun with them. :)

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +821 / 7 / -2

I could go along with that. Limiting the time, but permitting it to be a some what extended period. Say, two 10 year terms, or 20 years, maybe 30 years max. I think that would be far better than the current situation that permits some 50 year term for a 90-something year old judge who craps himself on the bench. :D