Welcome to PatsFans.com

Stupid Entitlement Society

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, May 25, 2006.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-05-24-retiree-taxpayers_x.htm

Yeah, you Liberals keep whining about the debt - which I agree is too big - but SS and Medicare are 10 times the problem.

Program Liability per household
    Medicare $263,377
    Social Security $133,456
    Federal debt $42,538
    Military retirement benefits $25,443
    State-local debt $16,395
    Federal employee retirement benefits $14,256
    State-local retirement benefits $13,257
    Other federal $1,956
    Total $510,678
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2005
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

I may not be understanding the chart correctly, but what appears to missing is the time frame for each item. In other words, if I give the feds $42K that pays off my share of federal debt up to this point, but not in the future. If I give the feds $263K to pay my share of Medicare, does that mean that on average my Medicare costs are covered for life? Not that bad a deal if I live to my mid-80s.
  3. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Well that's kind of the problem. That number is a "good deal" except that the "good deal" for the individual will be paid for by ever increasing costs as we live longer and get more expensive medical treatments to be kept alive.
  4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The world's biggest pyramid scheme. And we all know that pyramid schemes are great ways to invest money, right..?
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Well, part of the answer is the drive for preventative health care and healthier living, a drive that I think has benefited most of us. But, still, medical costs are a problem, and I don't think there's a great solution. Health care, like defense, is just one of those things that has to be funded.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Actually it doesn't. Society may not have the right to kill people at a certain age but it's under no obligation to bankrupt itself to keep them alive when they're beyond wanting to be alive. Before you say it, I acknowledge that most in the country would agree with you so I'm S.O.L. But quit whining about the deficit when it's an order of magnitude less of a problem than entitlements.
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

I've said before I'm not particularly against deficit spending, but occasionally bring it up because the fact that the issue exists is embarrassing for many Bush supporters. I am against the reasons for the deficit. If we had a deficit so that we could take care of needy kids and old people, I'd be okay with that. But, a deficit to fund an improper war is another story altogether.