PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stunningly OT: US - Russia Hockey Game - Best Ever

Fully agree. Great win, but these guys are pros. This wasn't the "Best Ever". In fact, this would rank behind the Sweden, Czechoslovakia and Finland games - - along with the USSR classic of the Lake Placid Olympics.

Doesn't even come within 3,000 miles of 1980.

Great stuff nonetheless, but be careful with the hyperbole.

Also: it wasn't for a medal, just seeding. AND it ended in a shootout. Great contest but hardly historic.

I thought it was an entertaining game, not a classic. Very impressed with Suter and McDonough who were rocks on the back end along with Quick who is so steady and doesn't allow many rebounds. The transition game is the key, we have strong two-way forwards with guys like Backes, Kesler, Brown and Callahan who can battle down low and on the boards but with the speed we have with Kessel, PArise and Kane we're dangerous off of turnovers. I'm a bit nervous about the Orpik/MArtin and Fowler/Carlson. I'm a big fan of Faulk and would love to see him involved

Dvr the game. Will watch later when I get home.

With that I think this should prove the US are serious gold medal contenders!

Especially after the pasting they dealt to Slovakia the other day.

This team is for real and should be appreciated even though it would be no "Miracle".

Only events which happened since I was born can possibly be in the running for the "greatest ever.". In fact, any event allegedly occurring before that most hallowed date in the history of the world never really happened. Irrelevant, old bastids just lie about them.

Ok, so did quick knock the net off its moorings deliberately on the tyutin goal? That's what the Russians are saying now.

The US hung on by a thread in the 2nd period in that game, down 3-2, with the puck in the US zone about 90% of the period. Craig was brilliant and the US somehow survived it. There was a real chance that the US could have been down like 8-2 at that point. The USSR outshot the US 12-2 in the period.

Unfortunately even though the game was played in upstate NY (this time zone) they showed it n tape delay so we knew the outcome...

12 years ago during the Olympics I was discussing it with my then first grader. I told him if you do really well and win, you get a gold medal. He replied " yeah I know we had one in school the other day" I asked him how and he said that one of his classmate's "Uncle Jimmy" brought it in and let the kids hold the medal.....He said the uncle was the hockey goalie and my wife and I sat there with our mouths open.....
Years later after watching "Miracle on Ice" he sort of appreciated it......

Sudden death, incredible shootout, US wins! Tremendous. If there is a replay of this game, don't miss it. I sure hope these teams meet in the medal round.

Best ever? Are you 16?

Also: it wasn't for a medal, just seeding. AND it ended in a shootout. Great contest but hardly historic.

Well, the Lake Placid game wasn't for a medal either. :)

I was 12 in 1980 and although today's game was awesome nothing will ever be like that for me. Watching the movie Miracle the first time my wife said what's wrong with you, you never get emotional over a movie.It was well done and took me back to it. Not a huge Al Michaels fan as an adult but that call stil can give me chills.

OSHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEY! Would love to beat Russia again to take the gold medal on their ice. After beating Canada in the knockout round first of course.

I'll say this...that is as good of a hockey game you're going to see because they ARE the best players in the world representing their countries and the history of a USA-Russia matchup will never disappoint, but "best-ever" is kind of a stretch. Hands down the Miracle on Ice was the best ever. End of discussion. As for those who think the disallowed goal call was a bad call, well too bad, that's the rule, and the right call was made.

Didn't watch...but the best hockey game ever is clearly the 2010 Olympics Men's Hockey Gold Medal game, and in 2nd the 2002 Men's Hockey Gold Medal game. :D :singing: :canadaflag: :first:

Didn't watch...but the best hockey game ever is clearly the 2010 Olympics Men's Hockey Gold Medal game, and in 2nd the 2002 Men's Hockey Gold Medal game. :D :singing: :canadaflag: :first:

:ban?: 10 char

Seriously I couldn't agree with you anymore.. to say any game is better than 1980 is crazy..

September 10th, 1972. в вашем лице!

Just kidding, I'm not Russian. Honorable mention to February 3rd, 2002 though.

;););)

The Canadians seem to win on smaller ice surfaces like 02' Salt Lake City and 10 in Vancouver..where slow and less skilled but big and physical has a big advantage. :D

This was a game for seeding and was decided by a shootout. How could this possibly be the best ever of anything?

Also, are such a horrible team that this would a HUGE upset? I don't think so.

1780729_807890649224898_698910946_n.jpg

September 10th, 1972. в вашем лице!

J.
I was thinking that after that game, the Russkies forfeited any right to complain about the Olympics.........ever.....

First time I ever screamed at a TV, though not the last time.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back