Welcome to PatsFans.com

Study reveals rocketing sense of entitlement on U.S. campuses

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +372 / 4 / -2

Is anyone surprised by this? Afterall, we've been spouting diarea like "we're all unique" and "express yourself" to children, instead of instilling discipline and respect for authority. We don't keep score at little league games, or mark in red pen, cuz we don't want to hurt anyones feelings. We hand out subsidies, and make all kinds of excuses for anyone, and everyone who has one. We drug kids, even though we have absolutely no idea what the long term ramifications are, because we either don't want to parent, don't want to control, or dont want to have to deal with imperfect children. Welcome to the new America. :cool:

Cake, ice cream, and trophies for everyone! :bricks:

How college students think they are more special than EVER: Study reveals rocketing sense of entitlement on U.S. campuses

[​IMG]

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED:15:30 EST, 5 January 2013| UPDATED: 06:50 EST, 6 January 2013

Comments (81)

Books aside, if you asked a college freshman today who the Greatest Generation is, they might respond by pointing in a mirror. Young people's unprecedented level of self-infatuation was revealed in a new analysis of the American Freshman Survey, which has been asking students to rate themselves compared to their peers since 1966. Roughly 9 million young people have taken the survey over the last 47 years.

Self-love: New data suggests students today are convinced of their own greatness regardless of whether they've accomplished anything

Pyschologist Jean Twenge and her colleagues compiled the data and found that over the last four decades there's been a dramatic rise in the number of students who describe themselves as being 'above average' in the areas of academic ability, drive to achieve, mathematical ability, and self-confidence.

But in appraising the traits that are considered less invidualistic - co-operativeness, understanding others, and spirituality - the numbers either stayed at slightly decreased over the same period. Researchers also found a disconnect between the student's opinions of themselves and actual ability.

Read more: Study shows college students think they're more special than ever...even those that can't read or write and barely study | Mail Online
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +300 / 3 / -13

I've actually spoken with my 19 year old nephew and some of his friends about college and careers. I could not believe how much they believed they're entitled to good jobs...and even just a job.

I told them they're not entitled to sheeit and that they're just like I and the parents were at their age. But they seemed to believe they don't think they're like their parents in the sense that they don't think they need to work as hard as they have.

Who puts this crap in their minds? Anyone know?
  3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

My guess would be insular living in general -- coddling parents and schools, and expectations of instant gratification prompted by social media.
  4. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +300 / 3 / -13

The thought of a career and working 5 days/week, every week for about 45 years didn't even phase me. I WANTED to get a job and start working.

But I get the feeling that the thought of working 40-50 years and having to get their butts out of bad by 5 or 6am scares the poop outta them. God forbid they will no longer be able to sleep until noon!:rolleyes:

No wonder 50+ year olds are finding work faster than college grads!
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

This may be symptomatic of the great divide, my grandson and his friends do not attend college or aspire to attend college. They would all work 45+ hours per week if given the opportunity..

Although it is anecdotal, none of them fit this criteria.. this summer they all worked a couple of jobs, at one point this summer he worked 17 days in a row, and even now they all work at least two.. a group of them work for Case Shoveling out of Attleboro, and if given the opportunity will shovel all night at a National Grid location..

All of them are wrestling with next steps in this world.. but all are good kids.
  6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +300 / 3 / -13

Sounds like their parents instilled a solid work ethic in them...and that's a very good thing.

Sadly, I think they're the exception rather than the rule from my experience and from what hear & see in the media.
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

I have a few nieces and nephews all in college, most are entering the medical field.. spend time over the holidays with them, and none of them sound entitled..

Perhaps it has to do with blue collar, union parents that they have..

Not too familliar with the children of the investor class..
  8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +300 / 3 / -13

Darryl, stop with the bullsheeit class warfare comments. We don't have a class war going on.

My parents were blue collar....I and my siblings all are white collar...but the color of our "Collars" is irrelevant to anything. Please stop pretending it has any relevance to anything.

Work ethic has nada to do with "blue vs white" collar...and you know that's a fact, not an opinion.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +372 / 4 / -2

Some people wake up in the morning, and see the world in terms of left vs right, rich vs poor, majority vs minority, etc. Talk about a miserable way to live.
  10. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

Interesting. Do you have a link or source for that? I'd like to know more about it.
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +474 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Ummm, no, they're not. In fact, it's taking them considerably longer.

(But hey, don't let facts get in your way.......)

Record unemployment among older workers does not keep them out of the job market
  12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +474 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

See Post #11
  13. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

Yes, but I would like to know where PR got his info as well.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

His fertile imagination???
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +474 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

As would we all. :)

PR sometimes confuses fact with opinion. I sometimes think he believes they are one and the same.
  16. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I think that study probably appeals most to people who aren't college educated and perhaps have some regrets over their own lives. It's actually quite healthy that young people have strong egos and believe in themselves.
  17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +776 / 5 / -15

#87 Jersey

Remember the old days where one looked in the classifieds for a job. These kids start networking (they don't even know it) in high school. It continues in college and the information at their hands is huge in their pursuit of a job.

I could be wrong but I believe unemployment among the educated is way less than the non educated in this country ... many of these kids know they will have a job when they graduate.
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +300 / 3 / -13

#1, your quote was from 3 years ago
    #2. I was not referring to how fast UNEMPLOYED people find work. I was referring to all job seekers. So that includes people who are currently working and looking for another job.

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Trading Caps and Gowns for Mops; Why Go to College If There Are No Jobs? Chasing the American Dream

From Forbes...

Older Workers, There's Hope: Study Finds Employers Like You Better Than Millennials

Older Workers, There's Hope: Study Finds Employers Like You Better Than Millennials - Forbes

Again, we're referring to anyone looking for a job. Not unemployed people looking for a job.
  19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +300 / 3 / -13

And you only respond to my posts in an effort to discredit them rather than trying to have a healthy discussion. You've been doing that for years on end now...which to me is a sign of deep issues. But that's just my opinion.
  20. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -14

#61 Jersey

But much healthier for them to have a realistic sense of personal responsibility, and genuine humility. Don't confuse "ego" with confidence. I've seen too many young people whose sense of "self" appears drawn from media-driven values -- glib, over-assertive, demanding and impatient.