Welcome to PatsFans.com

Study: Newspaper Sports Departments Mostly Male, White

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jun 28, 2008.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

An explanation of why I posted this here will be usefull. I would have loved to post this in the main forum ... but it's not Patriots related ... actually I think it is and that's the main reason I felt a need to post this.

We Patriot fans have endured a tortured 1/2 year with the Spygate crap and we had to endure the good ole' boy network of primadonna sports news people that are entrenched in their positions due to tenure and not necessarily due to skill and/or diversity. So, it was easy for them to pile on ... easy to speak with one voice when they mostly come from the same demographics is my point here.

Also ... how nice would it be to see more diversity in the sports media print world. Perhaps our own newspaper expert PressCoverage could offer something on this topic ... an insiders viewpoint. Ryan, ShawNasty, Tomasse ... yeah ... diversity would be great IMO. Can we replace those 3 blowhards with a woman or a minority ... a fresh perspective is appealing.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003821338

2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Sure. ESPN page 2 had a black woman who said rooting for the Celtics was like rooting for Hitler.

It's not that they're white or male, it's that they want to make ratings.
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -9

I'll admit that when it comes to sports, I'm a sexist. I don't care what color, but I do want to hear and read MEN giving me my sports reports. Even more, I MUST have men announcing the sports I watch.

Have any of you ever heard the woman one of the networds broadcasting NFL games had doing some of the anchor broadcasting? A freakn' woman!!

When a tremendous hit was laid upon the running back, she said "OH, he's nailed!!" but in a girly voice man! We can't have that. It's just not as good hearing a woman say that...at least to me;)
  4. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I love women sports announcers. Nascar's got a good one, Krista Voda...and Kirsten Gum used to be on one of the networks too...

I just don't think the OP's premise was valid. Women can be every bit as stupid as men.

The best commentator types in Boston currently are Mike Holley and Dale Arnold. A black guy and a white guy.
  5. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

I love Holley .. and there are times when he sees things different than some of the white blowhards on that station. I think diversity would be nice ... at least it offers up a different slant on things which enhances public opinion.
  6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm just not sure the other "blowhards" on the station are "blowhards" just because they're white.

There's nothing wrong with diversity, don't get me wrong--but Big O would be a loudmouth black or white.
  7. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

:rofl: .... :eat3: ... :rofl: