Welcome to PatsFans.com

Study New England Winters not what they used to be..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jan 15, 2008.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

A study by UNH about how winters are not as severe as they used to be, not much about global warming, but not conclusive as to why it is happening, they will study that next. Guess that 66 degree weather we had last week is a harbinger of the future..

http://www.wmur.com/news/15047323/detail.html

Even though New Hampshire just experienced its snowiest December on record and more snow was falling Monday, a new study shows that New England winters aren't packing the punch they used to.

Researchers at the University of New Hampshire said that examining climate data shows that the winter weather in New England has become warmer and could become more erratic.

"We see a lot of the colder weather migrating north," researcher Elizabeth Burakowski said. "The heavier snow totals are moving north. We're seeing less and less snowfall in the southern part of the region."

Burakowski said less snow is falling in the region, and snow is staying on the ground fewer days of the year. She studied New England's climate from the past 40 years, working closely with professor Cameron Wake.
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

This winter reminds me of the winters I experianced as a kid in the sixties. Only it would be like this Every year.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

I remember when Kennedy was elected, as I had a paper route, it snowed around christmas and the ground was still frozen with the same snow when he got inaugarated... do not ever remember a day where it was 66 degrees though.
  4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I remember the day of the inauguration it was snowing like mad, I watched it on tv. Thats when I learned that there were two Washintons the state,and D.C. And I don't ever remember it getting much above the forties even during the January thaw. When I think back to those says it seemed I was always walking in snow and it was Cooold.

One other thing that I remember thoses days thats pertinent. I grew up liveing on RT 5 this road was the major North/South RT before I 91 was built. Like I said it seemed to snow a lot more then, and after a few days the snow would turn BLACK for the exhaust of the tractor trailors that were constantly on the move. Hmm Black snow =soot from exhaust=the days when global warming wasn't ever heard of.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

My dad always told me that he used to have to walk 5 miles, through 6 feet of snow, without shoes, just so he could use a functioning toilet. :D
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Uphill both ways?
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +434 / 5 / -2

Wow, do you live in a cave or something (my dad did)? I thought everybody already knew that the only way people walked back then was uphill. Oh, uphill, while fending off bears with their notebooks. :D
  8. scott c

scott c Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Years ago up here in Maine you would need a extension for your power auger when ice fishing.....I still have them in my store.....but havent sold any in a few years.....you can easily make your fishing hole with a hand chisel right now......what does this say for warming?I dont know,but it does say not to overstock on auger blade extensions.....:D
  9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Boy they picked the wrong week to release that report, huh...?