Welcome to PatsFans.com

Study: Many of homeless are vets

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

If not for tax cuts, we could probably do more to help these vets, but this actually started with Ronald Reagan who dramatically cut funding for mental health, turning thousands of mentally ill people onto the streets. But, hey, to paraphrase the righties, If I want to help the vets, do it yourself. The government shouldn't take my money to help others. Would you support a tax increase to help these people or would prefer gridlock and let these vets continue to suffer? Those are probably the options.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/08/homeless.veterans/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- More than 25 percent of the homeless population in the United States are military veterans, although they represent only 11 percent of the civilian adult population, according to a report to be released Thursday.

On any given night last year, nearly 196,000 veterans slept on the street, in a shelter or in transitional housing, the study by the Homelessness Research Institute found.

"Veterans make up a disproportionate share of homeless people," the report said.

"This is true despite the fact that veterans are better educated, more likely to be employed and have a lower poverty rate than the general population."

2. jack

jack 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Excellent thread topic!

And for those willing and able to donate or volunteer their services here's a couple of links.

Homeless veterans in N.H.
    http://www.harborhomes.org/vets/index.htm

N.H. foodbank.
    The foodbank is in need of donations
    http://www.nhfoodbank.org/

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +829 / 27 / -33

That is a very sad state of affairs for those who fought in wars, I have a couple of friends from Viet Nam who are out chasing butterflies and peeing their pants. When I see them they are still talking about how we got drunk in HS...it is a sad thing to see them. I give them a few bucks, and move on.. not sure what else I can do.

4. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Patters, I disagree that the tax cuts are the reason for so many military homeless (or so many homeless in general). There is a link to an article on the same page as the article you linked to that says homeless numbers are going down. This is a result of a change in POLICY (not throwing money at a problem) moving away from temporary shelters and toward more permanent housing.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/11/07/homeless.drop.ap/index.html

This would suggest to me that your knee-jerk reaction to raise taxes to solve any social ill is inappropriate. This is an example of better policy giving better results.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Why are they homeless :confused:

6. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

One of the many things that tax money should go to is Veteran affairs. There are five billion other programs that can be cut down.

7. jack

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For a variety of reasons.....Trauma-mental illness-substance abuse ,are just some of the causes ....

In reality the federal goverment does not fund enough on the veteran homeless issue....That's why public charity is needed....

On overall homeless I read that 1.5 million children are without homes...

So please donate to soup kitchens and shelters for the less fortunate americans...

8. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Excellent sentiment. And not just in money, though obviously that is helpful, but also time. I can say from personal experience that serving food to those in need on Thanksgiving is incredibly rewarding.

9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

No Veteran in America should be homeless, the hell with the Illegal Aliens, the hell with the Back Stabbing Iraqi Muslims, the Hell With the "Sex Nuts" the hell with Dafur, the hell with Al Gore's Spotted F-cking Owls, TAKE CARE OF OUR VETERANS YOU SLOBBERING SCUMMY POLITICIANS.

You politicinas that read this forum, do you know that you are the lowest form of rotten scum that God has ever created, f-ck you.
    :bricks:

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +597 / 24 / -19

Many of the vets are mentally ill, having suffered trauma in the battlefield. Many of these people are now on the streets. I'm all for shifting resources around to better help these vets (and other homeless), but the bottom line is that something has to be done. While the number of homeless has declined, the fact is that many of these people, homeless or not, are still suffering, still very troubled, and really not getting much help.

The problem of poverty in our country is a bipartisan issue. Both parties have failed on this matter:

http://www127.pair.com/critical/pop-02_new.jpg

I do agree with jack that it's important to give to the homeless, and I would hope especially at this time of the year that we all make a little extra effort in that regard.

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Imagine the wonderful comfortable life that these millionaires could give to some of the Homeless Veterans, The Hollywood Wife Swappers, George Soros, Uncle Teddy, Auntie Teeth Pelosi, Humpty Dumpty Sharpton, Jessie Jackoff, The Wretched Clintons, Mitt Romney, the guy that hid money in his freezer (what happened to him) Donald Sh!tface Trump, The Pope and yes the Whole Bush Family.

Those are the rat bastards that should be donating to the "soup kitchens".
    :bricks:

12. jack

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

People talk about eliminating social services to lower taxes...

Problem is people apparently do not donate enough to the needy(((((america's homeless vets)))))and ((((((1.5 million homeless children ))))))which is equivelant to 3 boston size cities full of homeless children..

This post is not a for higher taxes arguement.....This is how do you house americas homeless veterans ,children and residents without tax help if america's charitable donations are inadaquate?

13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

what!?!?!?!?!?!?! typical liberals...

don't you DARE tell me that my tax dollars have to pay for YOUR homeless problems...

:rolleyes:

14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey