Study from Virginia Tech: nearly 40% of players using lousy helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
NFL.com news: Study: Nearly 40 percent of players wore low-rated helmets

Also some interesting information. Riddell doesn't have an exclusive deal with the NFL. The players get to choose what helmets they want to wear from whichever company.

There were 16 different helmets tested.. Only 1 received a 5 star rating and 5 received 4 stars..

75% of the players wore Ridell helmets. And over half of them wore one that was given only 2 stars.. (Riddell VSR-4)..

Don't draft out of VT.

What seemed a little strange to me was that Riddell actually makes the only one that received 5 stars, and at the same time they make the one that receives only 1 star too!!

I'd think that there would be more of a 'middle' from the same manufacturer, rather then the edge of 2 extremes.

Hopefully this study produces more players switching over to the 5 star Riddell. I believe it's called the 'Revolution Speed,' or something to that nature.

Don't draft out of VT.

Why not? That is where the study was done by the acedemics and professors, it doesn't have anything at all to do with the VT football team.

edit: at least not any more than any other team

Last edited:
What seemed a little strange to me was that Riddell actually makes the only one that received 5 stars, and at the same time they make the one that receives only 1 star too!!

I'd think that there would be more of a 'middle' from the same manufacturer, rather then the edge of 2 extremes.

Hopefully this study produces more players switching over to the 5 star Riddell. I believe it's called the 'Revolution Speed,' or something to that nature.

One of the "issues" that players have had with a helmet like the Revolution is that it has a double shell, making the helmet bigger. This causes a change in weight that the neck carries and a change in their peripheral vision. They also have claimed it restricts their head movement. 2 of the "4 star" ones I know are the "old style" single shell, but neither are from Riddell.

One of the "issues" that players have had with a helmet like the Revolution is that it has a double shell, making the helmet bigger. This causes a change in weight that the neck carries and a change in their peripheral vision. They also have claimed it restricts their head movement. 2 of the "4 star" ones I know are the "old style" single shell, but neither are from Riddell.

Ah, I see. That's a good point then. Well, any improvement to the concussion area that comes from this study will be deemed good. It's nice to see someone taking a proactive approach to helping to combat it.

As you point out, hopefully at least those in the 38-40% can at least go with the 4 star single shell from now on.

From Riddell's viewpoint and sake, they need to continue to develop something with the same safety pluses, that aren't going to be so heavy and bigger. It's good to know that there are others out there who can still make a decent helmet though.

Excellent topic. The NFL and the faux NFLPA* should be all over this issue.

Excellent topic. The NFL and the faux NFLPA* should be all over this issue.

Exactly..

Now, what is interesting is that, supposedly, the VSR-4 helmet from Riddell was an "approved" helmet by the NFL and NFLPA. What I'd like to know is what standards they based the approval on.

If I am the NFL, I am all over this report and pulling every helmet that doesn't have a 4 star rating off the approval list. If the NFLPA* wants to argue that, let them. They'll be the ones who look like they don't care about the players.

Why not? That is where the study was done by the acedemics and professors, it doesn't have anything at all to do with the VT football team.

edit: at least not any more than any other team

Ahh...my bad. I thought the study was based on VT only.

Thanks for posting this link-a very informative read. I had figured that players got to choose their own helmet style since it's clear there are a number of different styles out there. Since the weight of the top-rated helmet seems to be an issue, I hope that the companies are working right now to alleviate that problem. I'm sure they are as concussions are so much in the public conscience now and should be. These guys sacrifice enough-brain injuries need to be prevented as much as possible.

I have found from personal use that I can't really tell the difference in weight between the schutt DNA And the VSR-4 are very little. The DNA is far more comfortable and offers much better vision for me.

I am waiting for the riddell revolution 360 to come out now as they claim it's better than the revolution speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes