Welcome to PatsFans.com

Study Finds Trace of Thoughts in 'Vegetative' Patients

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Feb 4, 2010.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

This is interesting. Is science creating another inconvenient truth?

Study Finds Trace of Thoughts in Some 'Vegetative' Patients - AOL News

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 3 / -10

If that is true and I were in that "vegetative state" the message I would be trying to send would be "pull the f-cking plug"

Imagine the anguish and panic if you know whats going on and can't let anybody know.

The liberals think waterboarding is bad.

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +784 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

I agree with Harry. It would be worse to KNOW what was going on than it would be to be totally unaware.

Since they're claiming that some of the patients are able to respond maybe they could ask the patients themselves if they wanted their plugs pulled.

Now that would be a definative answer, wouldn't it?

4. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I'm exactly with this. Imagine being able to absorb and thoughtfully process everything around you but never,ever be able to react to any of it. Those poor souls must go insane, literally, at some point. Even then nobody KNOWS you're insane so nobody counsels you or medicates you, you just lay there going completely out of your mind. Based upon this study alone, at the very least doctors should begin to consider giving these people some pretty kickass drugs, regardless of how vegetative that person may appear.

Keep me perpetually pumped with some kind of awesome drug or kill me, there is no middle ground for me anyway.

5. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

When the subjects were asked about physical activities like tennis:

The brains of four of the 23 vegetative patients showed the same kind of brain response as healthy subjects would. One of the minimally conscious patients showed the same ability. Study Finds Trace of Thoughts in Some 'Vegetative' Patients - AOL News

People who have gone into cardiac arrest and lived to tell about it say they remember everything that went on while they were being revived. They say the dying can hear, even the dead at least for awhile after they acutually die. Read the whole article, it's worth the click.

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +461 / 12 / -14

The important part is that since they can 'answer' yes and no questions you can ask them what they want...... very important, we don't know how they feel not we can find out possibly.

7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +784 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Can you possibly fix that sentence so it's at least moderately understandable?

8. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I read a research paper which states that a damaged brain will be back after 100 years.

9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,053 / 15 / -9

Read the whole story in the Post today -- yeah, even the jump page. Although they're excited about the implications for communicating with those few who are only apparently vegetative, doctors also cautioned specifically that it's way too shaky a method to use to ask the question one day "do you want to die?" But think of whether you could ask if they're in pain, what hurts, do you remember your wife, she's here, etc.

They also brought up the schiavo case and talked about how much more extensive and longstanding her brain damage was... but I am very glad to see that whole thing not brought up again and I'm sort of sorry I did, because I know the inevitable's coming.

But if you can have someone think tennis to say yes and think wandering through the house to say no, you could painstakingly map a keyboard for them and let them do the Hawking thing... even more painstakingly in fact. After all, tennis and wandering in the house light up different brain areas, which is how they got their yes and no responses. But these folks have nothing but time. After a great deal of wandering through the house and playing tennis, with a yes/no choice for A-L or M-Z, etc. etc. etc., they could even express themselves, rather than choose from binary choices.

Then consider that one day we could parse more specific brainwave patterns, as opposed to just watching what areas of the brain are active... it's conceivable that a what-you-think-is-what-you-get keyboard could be arranged. Then at the very least, at long last they could communicate after months or years in "prison." What a redemption.

Of course I pray to God nobody I know is ever in that position, but it is amazing to think about.