Welcome to PatsFans.com

Study: Blacks Stricken From Juries in Southern States

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +270 / 11 / -11

Shocking evidence of racism in the red states.

Study: Blacks Stricken From Juries in Southern States - AOL News

Black Americans are being stricken from Southern juries -- especially in cases of capital punishment -- because they live in poor neighborhoods, chew gum or are thought to have "low intelligence," according to a new report.

The two-year study published today by the nonprofit Equal Justice Initiative found "shocking evidence of racial discrimination" in jury pool selection across eight Southern states.

For example, Alabama's Houston County is 27 percent black, but from 2005 to 2009 local prosecutors struck 80 percent of blacks qualified to serve on juries in capital punishment cases, leaving half of the juries all white and the rest with only one black member. The Houston County District Attorney's Office did not return calls for comment today.

2. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ever read "A Time to Kill" Patters? This reminds me of that book.

3. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +713 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I would be interested in knowing how the stats pan out in other states. They only studied a handful of southern states, so the study and its conclusions are incomplete. Even here in CT, racism is a pretty sizable part of the culture, especially if directed against Hispanics.

4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1. There's no control group so to draw any conclusions is based on a fallacy.

I would bet most prosecutors across the nation try to strike black jurors from a case involving an accused black man (though they could never actually admit it). But hey, it's a story about how racist people are so who cares how flawed it is? It has to be publicized!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  5. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Not only does this offer no statistical analysis, it also fails to consider possibilities other than racism. It may be wrong to strike blacks because they're black, but it isn't necessarily racist.

6. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 8 / -8

Wait, yes it is.

It may not be racist to strike an individual black juror because he's poor, or because you claim he's "too dumb" to be a juror, setting the stage for an encoded form of racism... but so far at least, you can still do that.

What you can't do is strike a black juror for being black.

That's cuz it's racist.

I'm thinking you mis-typed on this one.

PFnV

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +672 / 2 / -9

If I were a Black man on trial for murdering a White Woman I would love to have an all Black Jury.

If I were a White Man on trial for murdering a Black Women I would love to have an sll White Jury.

Thats America like it or not.

8. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

If I'm a defense attorney and my desired profile for a juror is a white soccer mom, I may try to get a black male potential juror out of the jury. That doesn't imply any judgment on the potential juror's race (or gender).

9. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think that's kind of the definition actually...

10. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

The definition of racism, yes.

But thinking that a certain profile of person is more likely to favor your client in a certain case doesn't mean that you think all people who don't fit that profile are inferior.

This is like saying that companies who target various demographics are racist, sexist, agist, etc.

What they're doing certainly may be viewed as wrong, and a subversion of the justice system, but that's not the same as beign racist.

11. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +713 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

Chicowalker is right. If I'm a defense attorney and my client is black, I would be striking off soccer moms left right and center.

12. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

Lawyers routinely strike out prospective jury members for all sorts of reasons. One that is primary is if a guy or gal listens to talk radio. Another is if they have the cognitive functions to have formed opinions about topics ahead of being picked for the jury, such as being in favor of capital punishment in a murder case. Or having discussed illegal immigration when an illegal immigrant is on the dock.

There's a race to the bottom for juries. Often, however, they are too stupid to adequately digest all the technical stuff being thrown their way in complex cases.

Since I'm gainfully employed in private industry, serving on a jury is the last thing I want to do. I'll let the unemployed types whose tv habits include Entertainment Tonight do the heavy lifting. Not.

Patters is overturning rocks, looking for racism and discrimination. He's a lot like my son looking for salamanders and bugs.