Welcome to PatsFans.com

STUDY: Bill O’Reilly Uses Derogatory Names ‘More Than Once Every Seven Seconds’

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Terry Glenn is a cowgirl, May 6, 2007.

1. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

A new study by Indiana University media researchers finds that Fox News host Bill O’Reilly calls “a person or a group a derogatory name once every 6.8 seconds, on average, or nearly nine times every minute during the editorials that open his program each night.”

The study documented six months worth, or 115 episodes, of O’Reilly’s “Talking Points Memo” editorials “using propaganda analysis techniques made popular after World War I.” Researchers found that O’Reilly “was prone to inject fear into his commentaries and quick to resort to name-calling. He also frequently assigned roles or attributes — such as ‘villians’ or downright ‘evil’ — to people and groups.

Some findings from the study:

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/05/02/oreilly-derogatory/
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The Think Progress link will be criticized, but the substance is such that this guy is practically deified all the while he makes mucho bucks at the expense of others.. amazing how many people accept what he says as gospel.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

The "Left Wing" wants people that don't agree with them to be "SILENT" (pie in the face syndrome) the "Left Wing" yearns for the good old days of Walter Cronkite and Rodent Rather but this is America, we are still free to hear the other side of the story, the liberals can't stand that.

Two of the "bad names" in that survey were "Conservative & Republican" :singing:
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Bill fires back

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270063,00.html

Calling People Names
    Friday, May 04, 2007

By Bill O'Reilly

E-MAIL STORY PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
    Did you know that I, your humble correspondent, call somebody a name every 6.8 seconds during my T-Points presentation each evening? Did you know that?! That's awful. I should be ashamed. I denigrate somebody nine times every minute. How could I?

That astounding analysis, if you want to call it that, comes from threeIndiana University researchers. I'm sure they're excellent folks.

But somehow, some way their research wound up in the hands of Media Matters, the smear internet site partly funded by enterprises connected to George Soros.

And guess what? Media Matters issued a press release about the terrible "Talking Points Memos." What the press release did not say however is that the Indiana researchers consider pretty much every description to be name calling. Quoting from the study, "The terms 'conservative,' 'liberal,' 'left,' 'right,' 'progressive,' 'traditional' or 'centrist' were treated as name calling if they were associated with a problem or social ill." Ah ha!

Now here's the back story: Last week we showed you this chart detailing where far left billionaire George Soros contributes money and how his propaganda machine works its way through the internet and into the mainstream media.

(Story continues below)

Advertise Here
    Advertisements
    RelatedColumn Archive
    Calling People NamesWill the Radical Left Doom the Democratic Party?Chaos in the Criminal Justice System Causing Great HarmBill Moyers, the Far Left and Blatant DishonestyRosie O'Donnell Out at ABCFull-page Talking Points Archive

Video
    Watch "Talking Points" Watch "Most Ridiculous" Show Info
    Airs M-F at 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. ET
    E-mail the Show: oreilly@foxnews.com Bill O'Reilly's Bio Talking Points Archive Interview Archive Signed Copies of 'The O'Reilly Factor' Book Soros and his gang were furious with that exposition. So we knew blow back was coming. Thus the Indiana Media Matters nonsense. By the way, did you know that Soros's Open Society Institute donated $5 million to Indiana University?

I'm also sure that was just a coincidence. Also sure that Soros is very disappointed he didn't get more bang for the buck this time around.

Most of the committed left press didn't mention the nutty Indiana paper, only those truly bought and paid for elements at NBC News and Rosie O'Donnell spit it out there:

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

ROSIE O'DONNELL: Go ahead Behar, what do you got?

JOY BEHAR: I said do you want to have a fight with O'Reilly because he calls people names every 6.8 seconds apparently. Bill O'Reilly on his show.

O'DONNELL: Yeah, there was an article in the paper, he insults someone or calls someone a name every 6.8 seconds.

BEHAR: Wow!

(END OF VIDEO CLIP)

The problem is Rosie that no newspaper we could find printed that propaganda. You and Behar got it from Media Matters, your daily source of deception.

So once again it's beyond a reasonable doubt that the radical left Soros has built a very smooth propaganda machine that has direct access to both the ABC and NBC television networks. Think about that. That is power.

Finally, let's add up the name calling tonight: Let's see there was "humble correspondent," "smear sites," "radical left," "committed left," "nutty," "deception," "Behar" and "Rosie." Wait --the last two were real names, so that's only six examples of name calling in three minutes.-- Far below my average. I must be slipping.

And that's "The Memo."

Most Ridiculous Item

The Queen of England, Elizabeth II has arrived in Virginia to mark the founding of the first English settlement in the new world, Jamestown, 400 years ago.

Now I like the Queen. I think the Queen has dignity, she's going to meet some of the Virginia Tech families and students while she's in the Commonwealth.

And I'm glad Virginia is getting some good press. They've had a real tough time over the last month. And there she is:

(VIDEOTAPE)

She does not, by the way, travel with her own toilet seat. That is not true. However they say Prince Charles does.

I don't want to get really into it, but I'm trying to -- not ridiculous, I'm happy, the colonists won, but we welcome Queen Elizabeth.

—You can catch Bill O'Reilly's "Talking Points Memo" and "Most Ridiculous Item" weeknights at 8 and 11 p.m. ET on the FOX News Channel and any time on foxnews.com/oreilly. Send your comments to: oreilly@foxnews.com
  5. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Wow, if calling someone a liberal, conservative, progressive, etc... is derogatory, this forum needs to be shut down immidiately! :D

There are morons, and then there are the walking dead. My guess is that the people who ran that study might be lacking in the pulse department. :D
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

My Jersey:

The people that ran that study were all Left Wingers that don't want O'Reilly to exist, they aren't used to being questioned or talked back to.
  7. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Hmmmmmm, I kinda like BOR :rocker:

...... and I think "thinkprogress" is for idiots.

Imagine that ;)

{....for the dumb folks.......... in other words. who really cares, it's all just propaganda}
  8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

why, exactly?... people can rail against Think Progress for it's political leanings, but they can hardly claim they're lying... They are a link-based site, not an op-ed community.... Everything it displays is backed by pdf documents, audio, video, or story links... You can form your own opinion from there as to whether or O'Reilly is unprofessional, Cheney lied, Bush flip-flopped or whatever the case may be...

Blaming Think Progress for amplifying Bush League embarrassments and scandals is really missing the entire point... or an attempt at trying to deny they ever happened...
    Last edited: May 8, 2007
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That sounds so democratic and all but as you can see it's already making the rounds in light speed and being portrayed on popular shows like Rosie as actual news from an actual legitamate study. Millions watch Rosie and they all think it was reported in the "paper" And so it spreads.
  10. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Absolutely FALSE. They are a POLITICAL blog. go see them. They are NOT a news site, and they are certainly not left LEANING. They are committed leftist secular progressives ;) {to use bill speak}.

The thing is, the whole study was done by 3 (undoubtedly leftist) journalism students or professors, at a left-leaning university (as they all are) that opened the hate speak vocabulary so wide that the results they got fit the exact results they wanted. Take a look at the actual STUDY . Read it and if you come away with anything other than "this is a biased research project designed exclusively to reach a pre-destined result, then you yourself are not "fair and balanced" ;)

Just look at the title of the paper for Christ's sake. It say it all VILLAINS, VICTIMS AND THE VIRTUOUS IN BILL O’REILLY’S ‘‘NO-SPIN ZONE’’
  11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

go to the site? lol... i visit it every day... you telling me about it informs me of nothing... there is a bent to their presentation, but you can not deny the audio, video, documentation and so on that they provide... again, like i say to anyone who complains and cries about new media: dispute the story first (with facts), then complain about the presenter of the story...
  12. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Of course not............. It informs you of EXACTLY what you want to hear.

Don't get me wrong, I go to many sites {different sides of the alley} that do the same for me. The thing is you can take almost ANY POSITION ON ANY TOPIC and find "audio, video, documentation and so on" to back it up on some level.

The point is, whenever you read ANYTHING pushed by an IDEOLOGICALLY driven source, you have to view it with some skepticism.

I am a semi-regular viewer of BOR and I think he's a occasional blowhard on many things as well, but to say he's being derogatory every 7 seconds :rolleyes: , gimme a break.
    Last edited: May 8, 2007
  13. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Liberal and conservative are bad words.
  14. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I don't call him A-G-E-N-D-A B-O-Y for nothing you know. :D
  15. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Frankly, I just don't like this Bill O'Reilly... this is just my opin though.
  16. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

no, he just berates them... he's a jackass. This is the only method he knows.

Intelligence escapes him.