Welcome to PatsFans.com

Study Backs Up Feds' Theory of Why World Trade Center Collapsed on Sept. 11

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jun 20, 2007.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +237 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

INDIANAPOLIS — A computer simulation of the 2001 World Trade Center attacks supports a federal agency's findings that the initial impact from the hijacked airplanes stripped away crucial fireproofing material and that the weakened towers collapsed under their own weight.

The two-year Purdue University study, funded in part by the National Science Foundation, was the first to use 3-D animation to provide visual context to the attacks, said Christoph Hoffmann, a professor of computer science and one of the lead researchers on the project.

Read the entire story:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,284816,00.html

2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Those buildings were constructed in an era when full size commercial airliners hitting them was not even considered. Small planes (2 to 20 seats), yes, but big planes, no. Poor design and building on the cheap was the reason they went down so easily.

//

//

3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agreed and, in otherwords, they were designed and constructed on or prior to September 10, 2001 :(
    I believe the Empire State Building was hit in, like, the 40's or something like that by a small aircraft...

4. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I believe you're right. Saw a photo in Life magazine or someplace a long time ago.

I only went to the top of the WTC once in my life, around 1993. I remember standing out on the observation deck -- it is NOTHING like the Empire SB, almost nobody there, had the place to ourselves (wife's family from Japan was visiting) -- and as I was looking up the Hudson river, over toward Jersey, I could see two small planes, 4 or 6-seaters, who were flying above the river, about a 3/4 mile apart. Those two planes, probably out of Teeterboro, looked so-o-o-o small, wa-a-a-y down below us. Iow, the Twin Towers were up there in the clouds.

//

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,114 / 3 / -10

:singing: :singing: Tell this to the Sore Losing Bush Haters, Rosie O'Donnell thinks Barbara Bush & Ann Coulter planted dynamite in there after they got the "go ahead" from the Muslims.
    :bricks:

6. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yeah, Karl Rove and the Republicans orchestrated 9/11 so they could highlight the superior field marshal and war-time presidential skills of W.

;)

//

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +778 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

You mean those conspiracies of Bush/Cheney/Rove setting the whole thing up aren't true ? Say it isn't so :rolleyes:

8. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Some plan, eh?

//

9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 26 / -33

I do not think a lot of people contest what happened in WTC I and II and that they did collapse, this study does not address how it happened and how the intelligence agencies missed the clues. The major issue has been WTC 7 and Flight 93 which many believe was shot down.. and no I am not a structural engineer.

10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I never understood the motivation behind the Flight 93 conspiracy theorists... If it was shot down, why would the government deny it...? As horrible as that would be, not one single American would criticize the President for ordering that plane to be downed given that it was under terrorist control and headed straight for the Capitol.

Actually, wait... on second thought there are plenty of rabid Bush haters that would criticize him no matter what he did...

11. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Ain't THAT the truth.

Actually, I could give a fig whether 93 was shot down or not; at least it didn't hit the Capitol or 1600 Penn Ave.

Personally, I see no reason whatsoever for the government to deny it if they *did* shoot down 93. Knowing what they knew, it would have been perfectly acceptable.

The kicker, however, is all the cell phone conversations between loved ones whose family members were on the flight, the ones who called and said they were hijacked and that they were going to try to re-gain control of the plane. I believe they did rush the terrorists but when they did the terrorists simply put the plane into a head-first dive, at which point it was virtually impossible to stop it, especially since the guys counter-punching the al qaeda were not trained pilots and it's damned hard to take control of a plane when you're standing on the ceiling upside down.

//

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,114 / 3 / -10

If flight 93 was shot down Bush the Commander In Chief would have recieved the Congressional Medal Of Honor.

13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I did that flight several times in the 90's. I used to work as a Flight Instructor out of Fitchburg, MA. Round trip with a fuel stop was a bit over 5 hours. It was charted as the Hudson River Scenic on aviation maps back then. Air Traffic Control permitted you to fly over the river below 600' without a clearance IIRC. West side of the river all the way south from the Tapanzee(?) bridge to the Statue of Liberty. You could only circle the Statue counter clockwise for anti-collision reasons. Then back up the East side. You looked up at the little sky scrapers from that height.

14. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

AHA!! Mystery solved!! Thank you very much!!

//

15. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No way MAAAAAAAAAN. The government lies have you all FOOOLED. The bigger lie, the easier it is to believe! Question authority! Kill you TV! Open your eyes! <insert bumper sticker slogan of conspiracy theorist who watched too much X-Files in the late 90s and now has a delusions of grandeur that he/she can solve all governments cover-ups, conspiracies, etc.>

16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,030 / 15 / -8

Actually, contrary to Quigs' implicit claim that this is a case of "hindsight is 20/20," you need look no further than your local neighborhood NFL murderer running back's videography to see this claim has been made before (In "The Towering Inferno," these exact weaknesses are actually mentioned in the plot. The tower in that film, insofar as it is anything other than a basic action/disaster movie, serves as commentary on "just building them higher and cheaper.)

Of course the fed "theory" -- that people who don't like America ran big freakin planes into buildings -- is correct.

There's no conspiracy here. But the "blank check" the event was taken to signify as been cashed too many times. Naturally, when people play enough games with the truth, they make nutty conspiracy theories look plausible.

PFnV

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +894 / 7 / -3

Well, I could see where they would initially deny it was shot down, since that had never been done in our history, and thus the reaction by the public couldn't have been predicted. After the fact, I think we all agree that if they did, or if it happened again, such a course of action would be regrettabley justified. Therefore, if they initially denied it, they are not going to admit it thereafter. Doing so would give people the ability to point at the government and say "so you lied at first? Why? So what else have you lied to us about in the past?"

A possibility anyway.

18. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

what a profoundly Christian message

19. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Translation of Pressboy's demented cryptography: he's mad that al qaeda DIDN'T get the White House and Congress.

//

20. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yeah, ummm... wtf are you talking about? that's what you got from that?

you're a worse translator than that first chick they brought in for Matsuzaka...