Welcome to PatsFans.com

Student takes his C to federal court

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

I guess if you're going to let someone sue a Dry Cleaners for $54 million over a pair of pants, why not give them their day for this?

Student takes his C to federal court

[​IMG]

In his lawsuit, Brian Marquis contended the university violated his civil rights and contractual rights. (STEPHEN ROSE FOR THE BOSTON GLOBE)

By Jonathan Saltzman, Globe Staff | October 4, 2007

Plenty of college students grumble when they get a mediocre grade and feel that they deserved better. When Brian Marquis got a C instead of an A-minus at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, he made a federal case of it.

Globe front page |
    Boston.com

Marquis, a 51-year-old paralegal seeking bachelor's degrees in legal studies and sociology, filed a 15-count lawsuit in US District Court in Springfield in January after a teaching assistant graded a political philosophy class on a curve and turned Marquis's A-minus into a C. Marquis contends that the university violated his civil rights and contractual rights and intentionally inflicted "emotional distress."

Last week, after a brief hearing with Marquis and a university lawyer, District Court Judge Michael A. Ponsor dismissed the suit. But Marquis said this week he is considering appealing to the US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.

"This is not something I relish," he said from the W.E.B. Du Bois Library on campus. "This is not an issue of me walking into court and saying, 'I don't like the way this professor grades this paper,' which is purely their academic prerogative. This is an issue where the empirical data was quite clear and convincing to any reasonable mind that my performance was well within a higher range."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/10/04/student_takes_his_c_to_federal_court/
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:rofl:

:rofl:

Love it. ..... Especially the outcome!!!

//
  3. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This is actually an interesting case.

I was involved in something similar before many years ago, a group of students including myself challenged a weird curve where students who were doing well ended up with much lower than expected grades. In our particular case, it turned out the course admin unfairly re-adjusted the curve after many students dropped the class halfway.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

Oh man I could drop in a couple of funny ones right now. :p I won't though. My shot at humor would probably be ill recieved. :(
  5. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Feel free to PM them to me. I laugh at some of the most horrible and offensive jokes conceivable.
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

PM's aren't as much fun. :(
  7. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Is that like the bell curve.
    Because if it is, it ought to be a class action suit.
    I would support it.
    Those curves were such BS.
  8. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I just don't see it RW could you tell me/us. :p My thinking has to graded with a curve today.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -9

RW, before you get funny today you have to look around and make sure there are no Eskimos or Illegal Aliens around.

Nervous Eskimo Robbing A Liquor Store:
    "ON THE FLOOR YOU MOTHER STICKERS, THIS IS A F-CKUP"
  10. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I know I drank to much Ripple last night and didn't get enough sleep on top of it all but I don't ever remember haveing a grade go down. From what I remember of curves the class on a whole did losey and the pro. curved the grades to bring thoses scores up.
  11. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Or twelve year olds with agendas.
  12. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

This loser's a product of today's wussy-enabling culture where, if you can't earn your grades, you cry and sulk until they give you what you want. Freaking pathetic. Creating a country of cry-babies. I hate it.

//
  13. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Quetion, By doing this law suit does he make himself more attractive to a law school,or less.

And is one of his motives to intimidate his future proffesors into giveing him a higher grade or worry about being sued?

I'd like to see his grades. Because if hes so worried about ONE test ruining his chances to get into law school what does that say about his grades in general. Poor perhaps?
  14. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Yes, I think we'ev reached a new low.
  15. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

The problem is this: many ivies and schools have grade inflation, but it is unfair to students of the OTHER schools, which practice some pretty arciac grading practices. Sure it's great if you're an idiot like Bush and the lowest possible grade for a moron is a C at Yale and Harvard, but it doesn't work like that at more rigorous institutions.
  16. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

My wife graduated from Harvard and I use to tease her about grade inflation,or if she didn't know something I'd say "see I could be the president of Harvard." Then I relized you had to have A's to get into Harvard,plus a whole lot more. I've never teased her since.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +287 / 4 / -2

[​IMG]

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p
  18. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

It seems to me that he DID earn his grade but the curve the teacher was using brought his grade down. A reflection on his class, not him.
    I don't understand why the schools are even allowed to use this system of grading.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  19. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, it seems he was one of about 70% who did that well on the exam/course, so either they are an exceptionally bright group studying there together, or the exam was a joke.

//
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +171 / 5 / -20

Is that why you chose to be an expatriot?? as you observe the world from Lithuania getting all the news you need from blogs and newsstories, and somehow because of your observations you become an expert on anything... guess hate is part of your do good religion, not sure I ever heard a man of the cloth say he hates anything.