PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Student Body Right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhubma

On the Roster
Reaction score
Picture this:

(6'6" 280lb) Kyle Brady lines up right in a double tight formation flanking (6'7" 344lb) Ryan O'Callaghan and (6'4" 290lb) Stephan Neal…

6’ 3” 258 lb Ben Watson goes in motion from left to right...

Koppen snaps to Brady…

The combined 914 lbs of veteran blockers on the right side fire out….

Brady quick pitches to Maroney sweeping right...

(6' 4" 310lb) LG Logan Mankins pulls as the lead guard and pancakes the outside LB...

Watson and Maroney turn up field…

That’s a lot of beef.

Oh yeah, and a new and improved WR core…

(Interesting training camp battle between O'Callaghan and Kaczur)

That's one of those "sounds good in theory" plays that wouldn't actually work in reality.

That many guys to ne side would

A. Create to much traffic to operate in

B. Leave the DL and LB on the other side unattended and free to roam to the playside.

I don't really think they need to do anything fancy aside from keep Kyle Brady in to block. He, O'callahan, and Neal should be able to blast holes open on thier own.

You're pulling the weakside guard to lead block the playside outside linebacker out of an unbalanced line on a toss sweep? No way Logan Mankins is that fast.

Brady fakes the pitch to Maroney and runs left untouched into the endzone.

Borges writes BB is arrogant for not using his weapons, relying on gimmick plays and putting the second best QB in Pats history in harm's way. Disaster and disharmony are right around the corner for the Pats.

Borges writes BB is arrogant for not using his weapons, relying on gimmick plays and putting the second best QB in Pats history in harm's way. Disaster and disharmony are right around the corner for the Pats.

True.......

Ok... leave Mankins in to help block the backside, if he is too slow, instead of pulling and have Watson/Maroney take it off tackle... I'm not an "X"s and "O"s type.

I do however appreciate old-school smash-mouth football. And the point of this thread was to think about the Pats O as a (potentially very) balanced attack. Remember that as recently as mid last year the O was considered to be a (near) dominant running squad. That was when O'Callaghan was a few games in and Dillon/Maroney were a 2-headed beast. With O'C and Maroney now a year older and (hopefully) healthy, the Pats could still be a NASTY running team. And I think that the right side of the O line will be the running side (meaning O'C over Kaczur) and the left side will be the concentrate on protecting Brady's passing.

Seven interchangable OL (Kaczur is an excellent back-up at both tackles and Hochstein has playoff experience at guard and center) is the quiet strength of the team (IMO). The Pats have had the reputation during the championship era of setting the "physicality," basically out-slugging the opponent. I can't wait for the smash-mouth as well as the air-it-out with the new WRs.

Last edited:
...Maroney hides behind the big Cal T, dances, flea-flicks back to Brady who then tosses effortlessly to Moss (who was sent in motion from the strong side to the slot position opposite and ran a 10 yard crooked post) for the touchdown.

Hey, we're fans. The the whole fun of it..

Second best?

You're pulling the weakside guard to lead block the playside outside linebacker out of an unbalanced line on a toss sweep? No way Logan Mankins is that fast.
As far as I can tell, what he's describing isn't an unbalanced line.

Good post.. brought a smile...

Our high school runs this play, and it's one of my personal favorites.. It works fantastic, and my position (guard) gets by far the best role.

I don't know how well it would work in the NFL. Everything would have to happen really fast. But it's certainly a possibility.

Smashmouth football - it warms my heart.

I think that Mankins and Neal are very good pullers, and would do a good job exectuting the old GB power sweep. Maroney's health going forward, however, is the key to this offensive treasure chest.

While a lot of feel-good fantasies run rampant this time of year, I am really looking forward to the performance of this O-line. It will be the first time since the Bruce Armstrong days that the core has been together for 3 yrs. RT is still a little in flux, but the demands are simpler and the veteran prescence of K. Brady should enhance the whole operation. As Shalize has said every time his name comes up, "he's a really big man."

Picture this:

(6'6" 280lb) Kyle Brady lines up right in a double tight formation flanking (6'7" 344lb) Ryan O'Callaghan and (6'4" 290lb) Stephan Neal…

6’ 3” 258 lb Ben Watson goes in motion from left to right...

Koppen snaps to Brady…

The combined 914 lbs of veteran blockers on the right side fire out….

Brady quick pitches to Maroney sweeping right...

(6' 4" 310lb) LG Logan Mankins pulls as the lead guard and pancakes the outside LB...

Watson and Maroney turn up field…

That’s a lot of beef.

Oh yeah, and a new and improved WR core…

(Interesting training camp battle between O'Callaghan and Kaczur)
At the snap.
Code:
Caldwell               Light Mankins Koppen Neal O'Callaghan K.Brady
                                    T.Brady                      Mills

Evans

Maroney
Okay, to refine your idea, line'em up in a I-formation with Caldwell flanked wide left, Mills in the slot and Kyle Brady TE right. Bring Mills in motion snapping the ball as Mills comes behind Kyle Brady.
- Mankins and Koppen combo block the NT with Koppen releasing off the double-team to block the MLB.
- Neal pulls right.
- O'Callaghan blocks down on the DT.
- Kyle Brady blocks down on the DE.
- Mills seals the OLB inside.
- Neal either kicks out the CB or turns it upfield for the SS and leaves the CB for Evans to kick-out.
- Evans leads behind Neal and takes whomever is unblocked.
- Maroney slides to the right and takes a toss from Tommy then hits it up behind his blockers.

If the CB plays off Reche, Tommy just throws the quick hitch that he and Reche do so well. This forces the CB to play up and the FS to shade that side a little more. Mills can also leave the SLB for Neal to kick-out and target the SS.

You can also run some nice medium-short pass patterns out of this formation, allowing Mills to get out to slot right before the snap, you play action a dive to Evans who sneaks through the line and runs a "stop" underneath as the dump-off. Kyle Brady runs an "in" behind the play action-frozen linebackers. Mills runs an "out", Reche runs a "dig", and Maroney runs a "wheel" to the left.

You can also leave Mills at slot left and motion Evans to flanker right. Send Reche on a "post" and have Mills run an "out" behind him. Send Kyle Brady up the seam and Evans run an "in" behind him with Maroney on a "wheel" to the right. If Maroney's receiving has improved, send him to flanker right and have him run a "fly" up the sideline with Evans "wheeling" out to the right behind him.

You can also substitute D.Thomas for Mills and run the same play, or use Thomas to "wham" block inside with Evans leading Maroney behind him.

Depending who is on the roster you could use this formation with all sorts of player combinations to create mismatches. Reche working out of the slot with Stallworth outside would work well since he is a very good blocker and could seal the SLB inside or leave him for Neal and take the SS.

Great fun.

Reche working out of the slot with Stallworth outside would work well since he is a very good blocker and could seal the SLB inside or leave him for Neal and take the SS.

Great fun.

Mr. Box, is it Caldwell or Stallworth to whom you refer as a very good blocker?

It must be Stallworth, because Caldwell (and Gaffney, and every other Spurrier-coached WR) is a pathetic blocker.

At the snap.
Code:
Caldwell               Light Mankins Koppen Neal O'Callaghan K.Brady
                                    T.Brady                      Mills

Evans

Maroney
Okay, to refine your idea, line'em up in a I-formation with Caldwell flanked wide left, Mills in the slot and Kyle Brady TE right. Bring Mills in motion snapping the ball as Mills comes behind Kyle Brady.
- Mankins and Koppen combo block the NT with Koppen releasing off the double-team to block the MLB.
- Neal pulls right.
- O'Callaghan blocks down on the DT.
- Kyle Brady blocks down on the DE.
- Mills seals the OLB inside.
- Neal either kicks out the CB or turns it upfield for the SS and leaves the CB for Evans to kick-out.
- Evans leads behind Neal and takes whomever is unblocked.
- Maroney slides to the right and takes a toss from Tommy then hits it up behind his blockers.

If the CB plays off Reche, Tommy just throws the quick hitch that he and Reche do so well. This forces the CB to play up and the FS to shade that side a little more. Mills can also leave the SLB for Neal to kick-out and target the SS.

You can also run some nice medium-short pass patterns out of this formation, allowing Mills to get out to slot right before the snap, you play action a dive to Evans who sneaks through the line and runs a "stop" underneath as the dump-off. Kyle Brady runs an "in" behind the play action-frozen linebackers. Mills runs an "out", Reche runs a "dig", and Maroney runs a "wheel" to the left.

You can also leave Mills at slot left and motion Evans to flanker right. Send Reche on a "post" and have Mills run an "out" behind him. Send Kyle Brady up the seam and Evans run an "in" behind him with Maroney on a "wheel" to the right. If Maroney's receiving has improved, send him to flanker right and have him run a "fly" up the sideline with Evans "wheeling" out to the right behind him.

You can also substitute D.Thomas for Mills and run the same play, or use Thomas to "wham" block inside with Evans leading Maroney behind him.

Depending who is on the roster you could use this formation with all sorts of player combinations to create mismatches. Reche working out of the slot with Stallworth outside would work well since he is a very good blocker and could seal the SLB inside or leave him for Neal and take the SS.

Great fun.

Agreed -Great Fun.

And if we are having this much fun envisioning a blend of power and finesse, imagine how the coaching staff feels. The Pats are now a mature team (experienced, yet young... unique, but also somewhat interchangable players). Previously, I said the OL was a strong 7 deep... actually with Yates, Britt and Mruc, that's 10 with game experience. (Yates vs Hochstein will be an interesting battle in training camp too.)

Mr. Box, is it Caldwell or Stallworth to whom you refer as a very good blocker?

It must be Stallworth, because Caldwell (and Gaffney, and every other Spurrier-coached WR) is a pathetic blocker.
I've no conception of Stallworth's blocking. Reche on the other hand blocked very well from what I saw replaying the broadcast tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes