Welcome to PatsFans.com

Strongest jobs recovery in decades. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1. That graph is a joke because unless you've been living in a cave these past few years, you'd be a fool to believe we have had any period of sustained job growth at any time since June 2009.

It just goes to show you really can fool some of the people all of the time.

2. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

August was the 8th straight month of private sector jobs growth. It's the fact-phobic propaganda-bot that is a joke.

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

At the current rate of 'job growth' it will only rake 20 years to catch up, if the workforce doesn't grow, wonder how many people are coming into the workforce each month???? Minus the number of retirees, maybe the job growth isn't even covering the difference...

4. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

But it is sustained job growth. Which you said was a joke. But you were wrong, again.

Nobody ever really claimed that it was an ideal number of jobs, except maybe in the thread title. But keep backtracking, it's what you do best.

5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

It isn't job growth if the workforce is growing FASTER than the number of jobs created, how many people entered the job market the past 3 months due to HS and college graduation? more than 60k, How many people retired? noit sure.

BTW your heros were promising 500k jobs per month back in the spring...:bricks:

6. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It's the gross number of jobs created. One of these days maybe you'll post after you know what you're talking about.

Che Guevarra is still alive? Good to know! I'm going to throw a party with capitalist pig piƱatas.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  7. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

Figures you would have a savage killer live Che as a hero it helps explain a lot.

8. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Even your sarcasm detector is broken.

9. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You will never find greater support for the most brutal, barbarous, muderous dictators than you will among the American left. They are completely in love with tyranny and oppression - so long as the right people are being oppressed.

10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

How would one even know with all the crazy things you say? :singing:

11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

+1. I mean, when you have people honestly trying to tell us we are in the strongest job recovery market in decades, how can we separate sarcasm from sheer idiocy?

12. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Somebody hasn't read the thread, has she?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I can see why you would think thoughtful or factual things are crazy, they are so foreign to you.

14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +464 / 12 / -14

Thoughtful?

Factual???

Now THERE is some humor....:singing:

15. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

OK, this is dull. At least try to be clever or something.

16. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,079 / 16 / -9

So winnowing out the insults, the relatively agreed-upon facts are as follows:

1) Whether you measure including the census employment or not, we have several months of sustained growth.

2) There are previous recessions wherein recovery was more "v-shaped" (i.e., wherein there was a rapid reversal of an economic downturn.) At present, jobs growth is a more "u-shaped" recovery - it is not a rapid rebound, it is a slow building process.

3) None of us knows with certainty whether there will be a double dip, whether slow job gains will increase, or whether more rapid job gains will take hold.

4) There is a subset of the set referenced in point (2) in which the economic turnaround was jobless; i.e., other indicators improved but measuring by unemployment, there was no recovery.

5) We are in the worst such economic disaster since the Great Depression. Total job loss was 8.7 million at the trough.

6) There was a great deal of spending targeted at addressing the decline of the financial sector beginning in 07 and culminating in the collapse of 08.

7) We all know that the money directly addressing the collapse was instituted under Bush and continued under Obama.

8) We also know the stimulus came from Obama, after the election.

To facilitate actual debate from the agreed-upon facts, does anybody disagree with the above?

Are there agreed-upon facts we should add to the above list?

I ask because having the above list agreed upon will at least get us past the point of a bar fight and get us to a discussion of the facts on the ground. Again, contest any of the above points of fact you don't think belong on the list, and add any that are easily agreed upon. I drew these from what's known - for example, the graph of the current depression vs. earlier ones displays the massive job loss, followed by months of sustained but very gradual job growth. It was posted by a rightie. It shows a few things: there have been periods of more rapid recovery. (we can discuss why, and what resulted.) There have been periods of similar rates of recovery. What the graph does not show is that there is no recovery. Similarly, it does not show an economy "roaring back," (the v-curve model,) as measured by job growth.

So everybody weigh in: are the above facts "facts" in your book? Don't tell me "oh yes, but that is because..." and don't tell me "yeah but..." Let's do that later. First, let's see if we agree the list is for real, then argue from there. I don't think the above list proves anybody's point on the face of it. I just want to see whether there's a difference in our perception of these facts.

PFnV