PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Strong Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecrazyeye

On the Roster
Reaction score
Do you think that the Pat's are looking for a back up plan at safety in case Rodney doesn't come back for next season? Is this something that is adressed through FA or the draft? Not many names jump out at me in free agency (Tank Williams might be a fit) so i'm wondering if we will draft a safety who can bring that physical intimidation back to our secondary. What do you guys think? Do you go for a big safety that will lay someone out or a playmaker? Or try to find a mix of both? (in the Ed Reed mold).
A few names i just thought i'd throw out and see what people think
Bernard Pollard
Dwayne Slay
Donte Whitner
Ko Simpson

what do you think? FA or draft?

Michael Huff

He can play anywhere in the secondary, has leadership potential and is a hard hitter.

He's my top DB choice.

Roman Harper Alabama 6-1/200lbs may be a more viable pick with our 1st 3rd rounder. I don't think Huff will be @ 21.

21st pick may be used on a TE/O/DE, IMHO.

thecrazyeye said:
Do you think that the Pat's are looking for a back up plan at safety in case Rodney doesn't come back for next season? Is this something that is adressed through FA or the draft? Not many names jump out at me in free agency (Tank Williams might be a fit) so i'm wondering if we will draft a safety who can bring that physical intimidation back to our secondary. What do you guys think? Do you go for a big safety that will lay someone out or a playmaker? Or try to find a mix of both? (in the Ed Reed mold).
A few names i just thought i'd throw out and see what people think
Bernard Pollard
Dwayne Slay
Donte Whitner
Ko Simpson

what do you think? FA or draft?

KO is the best of the lot. Pollard can't cover. Also whats wrong with James Sanders? I think he going to be real good going into his 2 nd year. Don't forget he was a junior last year and RH speaks highly of him as well.

NOWAKJOE said:
KO is the best of the lot. Pollard can't cover. Also whats wrong with James Sanders? I think he going to be real good going into his 2 nd year. Don't forget he was a junior last year and RH speaks highly of him as well.
Gus Scott, James Sanders, Ray Ventrone, Artrel Hawkins, seems like there are plenty of options already.

I think we should just target DBs with versatility, whether it is a CB/S, WR/CB, or DB/KR. Michael Huff obviously has that, but he might not be there. Antonio Cromartie is 6'3, so he is big enough to play some S and he returns kicks. Richard Marshall is a CB who would seem to fit our system pretty well and he is also a pretty good KR. Greg Blue is a FS, but hits like a truck so I suspect he could play SS as well. I don't know what else Ko Simpson could do besides play FS, but he seems to have so much athleticism that he could be put in a few different places in a dime package. Hester and Blackmon can play CB/WR and return kicks. They have to be on the radar somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots