Welcome to PatsFans.com

Strip Searched Teen Girl Wins Case.. but no money..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jun 25, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +429 / 12 / -26

Interesting SCOTUS decision, no money, but clearly the school was wrong.. this is a huge violation of rights.. strip searching anyone is a serious violation of individual rights..

Teen strip-searched in school wins partial victory - CNN.com

2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -1

#91 Jersey

Don't understand why she didn't recieve any monitary compensation when the court came out so vocally in her favor.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +534 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

This isn't a case where there should be money involved. That's one of our many problems, you don't fix this by exchanging money, you arrest the violators criminally. When there is time off work, hospital bills, etc, then money should be exchanged. For "embarassment" the satisfaction should come from a criminal prosecution and not an exchange of money.

4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Much ado about nothing. Being "strip-searched"???? Hell, whatever happened to taking showers from the 7th grade, running buck naked in front of Phys Ed people you didn't even know??? They don't do that anymore in America??

What gets me, though, is: ibuprofen!!!!!?? WTH?! :wha:

With all the ADD and other drugs, ritilen, etc, they cram down the throats of so many kids these days -- a HUGE mistake, imho -- what's up with ibuprofen?!

I use it once a month or so, and I'm as normal as a person can get!!

//

5. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -1

#91 Jersey

Ok good point just as long as the School board understands that this is illegal.

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +534 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

This is the kind of thing where a good firing or serious probation period is well in order. Having the tax payers (through the school system) pay a lot of money for an unfortunate incident, that's how our states and schools end up bankrupt.

(I realize you weren't arguing, just agreeing and re-making my point).

7. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

every adult associated with the search should be fired and never work in schools again..........a twisted case of pedophilia

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

8-1 vote.....

The one? Clarence Thomas....

9. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

More likely, overzealousness. The court held that it wasn't reasonable given the circumstances ( a couple of Motrin (ibuprofen))...I have a feeling that the ruling may have been different, or at least a closer vote had it been Heroin or cocaine or a syringe that was the contraband. The unreasonableness was going after a legal substance, though banned under zero tolerance.
    I remember keeping aspirin and tylenol in my locker at school ( back in the 70's) to take after brutal sports practices and thinking nothing of it..Now it gets you suspended and strip searched........or it did....

10. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

nope......the people who did this are sick....case closed......

you strip search a kid to look for ibuprofen, you should go to jail

11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

True!

The violation is a violation, no matter what they found. They could've found Bin Laden in her shoes.....and its still a violation of her personal privacy.

Ya need a warrant, kids.

12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Agree with Tanked and Holy.

Foggy, sounding true to form. How bout them showers? Not a big deal getting stripped searched in Vilnius for jay-walking, I bet. Sooooo out of touch with our life here. RIOT!:rofl:

13. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Don't agree. "Probable cause" trumps individual privacy every time. One individual can do a hell of a lot of damage, as suicide bombers prove every time they strike. This girl was obviously not a bomber, but the kids like to game the system, and she paid the price. No big deal. Get over yourself with your inordinate demands for your "privacy".

No harm, no foul.

..... but ibuprofen???!! :wha:

//

14. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Time to pop another top, ain't it, soupy. :eat1:

:deadhorse:

//

15. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There you go again...

This case was in AMERICA! It's that country north of Mexico where privacy and individual rights are VERY important to most of us who live here. You must be confusing us with some fascist sh!thole north of Poland.

You foreigners are soooo wierd! You should get a book or something about America.

16. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Maybe after work. I'm headeed to the rod n gun club to work on my old black powder revolvers. Can't blow rounds without having a couple after with some friends. I checked with the wife. She said "No problem".

Lotsa people do that near the end of the week, you know.

17. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I know. The devil just LOVES those dark shadows all over the place. Cop sees a dude coming out a crack house with his pants all loaded down ..... but cop can't search him "without a warrant". :nono:

Hey, ACLU: warrant THIS !!!

So, anyway you guys in America: how's your Mandarin coming along??? Looks like you'll be needing it, what with Obama and Barney Frank giving the U.S. economy away to the Chinese. You'll *love* their privacy laws. :rofl:

//

18. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Black powder, eh. Give me a nice .454 and point me toward them hogs!! :yeeha:

//

19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +429 / 12 / -26

When I worked in Corrections strip searching was always a big deal.. particularly on emergency detentions, there was so much liability if you erred so everyone was supercautious.. sometimes the paperwork was not clear on emergency detentions so as a practice would not even bother.. there are ways around most of this stuff, you can strip them down to their underwear.. but all of this has to be done extremely discretely.. in this case the school people were sick f...cks.

There was a court decision in the 80's that said something to the effect that female corrections officers could not even view naked men in the shower as it violated prisoners privacy rights.. it got real weird, but the standards made us all proceed with an abundance of caution.

20. Fogbuster

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Boo-hoo .... cry me a river. Poor little darlin' had to strip down to her [size=+2]underwear!!!! :eek:!!!! [/size] How did she ever survive?!?!?!? :eek:

Just an excuse for some head shrink quack to charge the tax-payers for 15 years of "therapy".

This wimp chick should go out and find all the pill pushers in her school and kick all their azzes. That'd solve the problem.

What problem?? No problem. The Chinese will teach you all about "privacy rights". :rofl:

//