PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Strategy vs the Colts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
The "obvious" strategy is to shove Dillon and Maroney down their throats in the hopes that the Colts return to their abysmal regular-season run defense.

Any other thoughts?

The "obvious" strategy is to shove Dillon and Maroney down their throats in the hopes that the Colts return to their abysmal regular-season run defense.

Any other thoughts?

Pass first out of the spread formation to set up the run.

Back when they played the first time the pats went power formation and their passing game was not nearly as good as it is now. Alot of balls were high and brady fixed that.

Daniel graham didn't play much and gaffney had yet to get accustomed to the defense.

Things seemed to click later in the season when the pats brought back the spread formation becuase their recvr's were ready and comfortable.

I would run out of this formation with draws. Would this be a time to bring back screens?

Then I would selectively go power I formation.

Also i would mess with the Colts but not letting them subsistute.

And how healthy is sanders knee after two consecutive weeks of playing?

Will the colts be able to stack the box with 8 and allow tom brady to have some one on one matchups? or will they be foprced to try to legitmately stop the run with 7 in the box?

is there anyone dinged up on the colts...does anyone know?

and will peyton start to feel the pressure and get tight?

Too early to think about yet - but I'd give them a big dose of Dillon, he's running well - see if their tackling really has improved.

Too early to think about yet - but I'd give them a big dose of Dillon, he's running well - see if their tackling really has improved.

but spread them out and force them to take some guys out of the box and then tackle straight up.

So, any thought on how to stop Colts recievers?

I mean after the refs let them push off?

So, any thought on how to stop Colts recievers?

I mean after the refs let them push off?

last game they played off the receivers quite a bit. the good thing is addai nor rhodes is as good as LT. they are good, but LT is the best.

When they played the colts the first time around i was wondering if they were purposely saving it for later in the season with press coverage or if they just don't have the personnel to play press coverage.

asante is playing his best ball and also sanders was promoted to full time duty in the first series after rodney went down.

i would expect most likely alot of allowing the underneath passes and trying to confuse peyton.

i think the chargers were the most physical team so far the pats have played and the colts aren't nearly as physical as them, but you still have to play the game.

but spread them out and force them to take some guys out of the box and then tackle straight up.
We usually pass a lot vs. the Colts so I'm sure you'll be right. Our passing game is just about good enough now to have people take it seriously. Not to scare them, of course, but to take seriously.

As was pointed out in another thread, Graham and Neal missed the last game which will help our offense a lot. Also that was the game in which Harrison got hurt, Sanders has has a world of playing time now compared to then.

We usually pass a lot vs. the Colts so I'm sure you'll be right. Our passing game is just about good enough now to have people take it seriously. Not to scare them, of course, but to take seriously.

I agree, the passing game was not as good as it is not back then.

plus there were alot of game changing plays in that game that forced the pats to change game plan. first half they couldn't seem to stop the colts then finally did in 2nd half.

dillon fumbled early in first quarter

troy brown was called for taunting in which a drive went from 2nd and 4 to 2nd and 19.

it should be another great game.

but as i look back at the colts against the chiefs and ravens. those two teams couldn't get the colts out of having so many guy in the box where the run was truly effective.

My wish is for tight coverage (dropped passes) big hits and most of all-breaking down their O-line and getting to Peyton-we haven't seen enough of that this year- that would be a wonderful experience-

Just imagine how many people will hate us if we upset Indy?

or Adam V. sprains his kicking leg on a kick off:rocker:

Pass on first down. Throw on second and third down. The Chiefs tried to run on first and second down. Then they had to throw on third.

Any other thoughts?

Sounds good to me.

I'll give this question the serious answer it deserves after the affect of a couple of Martooni's wears off, but my first response is "score more points than they do."

Isn't it funny, a lot of people were saying how the Titans game was "meaningless", but maybe Belichick thought he'd be seeing the Colts somewhere down the line and wanted homefield.

I can't believe both the top two seeds lost. When's the last time that happened?

I'm not sure what the gameplan will be, but it can't be too much of a surprise on either side. Both these teams know each other inside out.

Put eight men in the box to stuff Rhodes and Addai.

Don't worry about Wayne & Harrison. They'll be too busy administering the Heimlich Maneuver to #18.

Put eight men in the box to stuff Rhodes and Addai.

Don't worry about Wayne & Harrison. They'll be too busy administering the Heimlich Maneuver to #18.

i hope you're kidding which i'm assuming. but yes, how will peyton react? he's had two bad games so far ,tney've also lost to the texans. will he still sputter or will the pressure get to him?

Offensively:

Avoid the tipped balls that inevitably will get intercepted. Along with the abandonment of the run game, that was the story of the game for the Pats' offense vs the Colts last time.

Contain freeney.

Be patient. If the pats go with the underneath stuff, the speed of the Colts' defense will allow them to swarm to the ball. However, the pats should be able to move the chains.

Defensively:

Be physical, expect to get a few ticky-tack flags, but don't let it get the better of you. Play through it.

The line needs to be able to control the line, allowing the back 8 to flood the zones vs the pass.

Watch out for the stretch play. I can see the Colts trying to use the slower pats lb's against them. Faking the stretch play and then stepping back to throw down field could be a boon for the Colts.

Know that the Colts are now running the ball well. Smack them in the mouth before they smack you.

Bludgeon the crap out of them in the trenches, avoid butting our heads against a wall if the Colts bring up 8 or 9 men into the box by checking off to pass plays, especially screens and flares that can exploit their aggression and over-pursuit. Once they give up some passing plays, the running lanes will open up, and if the Pats have a lead, they can start playing ball control and ram it down the Colts' throats. I hope Belichick doesn't coach this game like the last one, abandoning the run too early and playing catch-up ball when the team isn't even down, or worse yet, coach like Edwards or Billick and play directly into the Colts' hands. But I doubt he'll make the same mistakes twice, BB has a knack for adjustments. :D

Oh yeah, getting Rodney back to pair with the ever-improving James Sanders would be a big lift. I worry that this upcoming game could be a letdown game, after the emotion and energy the team expended against the Bolts today. Getting Rodney back would be an awesome shot in the arm for the team.

Last edited:
Not turning it over 5 times (like the reg. season game) would be a good start. We handed that W to them.

Oh yeah, getting Rodney back to pair with the ever-improving James Sanders would be a big lift. I worry that this upcoming game could be a letdown game, after the emotion and energy the team expended against the Bolts today. Getting Rodney back would be an awesome shot in the arm for the team.

I worry about the letdown too, but at least the colts dealt them a loss earlier in the season which will serve as motivation and brady played poorly so he'll be hard on himself and maroney and dillon should be relatively fresh. they do need rest though. colts got an extra day and shorter flight home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back