PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Strategy for Sunday.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
BionicPatriot said:
No, I don't. It amazes me how you people who watch this team still have no clue what BB does. The guy never rests his guys in the regular season, ever. Why would he sunday? I doubt that many starters will be out of the lineup.

He did in last year's regular season finale vs. the 49ers.

All this speculation is academic.

Does anyone REALLY believe BB will purposely lose ? Anyone ?

3rd or 4th seed is out of our hands.

R

Naturally this is a debatable topic, because there are good reasons on both sides.

On one hand why risk injury when there is no appreciable advantage to winning?

On the other, staying sharp is important.

I think the answer, for this team, belies either of those points.

The Pats are the epitome of one game at a time. We've heard comments in the past about players waiting in anticipation of seeing the gameplan. Weve heard comments about how this is just a team that loves to play football and exectue a gameplan no matter when, where or against who.

First, there is no way, no way in hell there is any talk in the lockerroom (or even unspoken thoughts) about who they would rather face in round 1. And even less chance there would ever be conversation of gaining an advantage by losing a football game.

I think this team walks on to the field to do what it does; win the game.
As the game progresses, no doubt BB will start to pull back on the reins----but it wont be about resting players, or not caring about winning, but putting other players in position to finish off a win. (He did this last night, most noticably with Dillon)/

The starters start. Bruschi will be questionable, and a gametime decision. The leg will tighten up. Guys like Graham, however, IMO, need to get back on the field to be prepared after sitting rather than getting the week off.
Some of the older players will have some reps off to stay fresh.

I think the OL and secondary need to play the whole game to keep continuity.
Brady as the leader will play 3 qtrs, maybe into the 4th. (it will be interesting to see what happens if its close at the end) Dillon doesnt need more than 15 or so carries to stay sharp. I'd expect Branch exits with Brady, maybe Givnes too.

The front 7 will probably play the entire 1st half, then, depending on the score, gradually be replaced in the 2nd.

The way we have been playing, I would expect Miami to score no more than 3 in the first half. So, if we get up say 21-3, we'll play out the 3rd, and coast home.

If you plan to sit players so they dont get hurt, they will play as if they are thinking about getting hurt, which is when you do get hurt.

Is there such a thing as a five run homer??? because if there is, THAT last post is it

QuinielaBox said:
Here we sit 10 and 5.........

Winning the game will probably get us the 3rd seed, because I firmly believe Kansas City will beat Cincy at Arrowhead......

That alters the Championship Trail quite a bit......

Home against Pittsburgh - Jan 8

At Denver Jan 15

At Indy (presumably) Jan 22

Super Bowl XL - Feb 4

If we rest and Nick Saban's crew beats us (I doubt very much we see Bruschi, Samuel, and other guys) and Nick Saban's team is motivated to get to 9 and 7 and continue building his fine program, we get the 4 seed.

Home against Jacksonville - Jan 8

At Indy - Jan 15

Pittsburgh, @Denver, or @Cincy - Jan 22

Super Bowl XL - Feb 5

I don't know, I think both trails are very challenging to the Patriots but depending on Bruschi's condition, winning SB XL is doable.

We'll just take care of things buy beating the P**S out of you guys

GO FINS!

"buy" a 2nd grade education...and then come back

mgteich said:
What is the harm in resting Bruschi, Samuel, Graham, Dillon, Wilfork, and Seymour? and perhaps even Brady for a half.

Will we be less in playoff shape if Beisel gets more reps? What about Chad Brown pass-rushing.

Yes, we would probably lose and have to play the higher rated JAX!

PITT or even KC have a much better chance than JAX of winning a game or two. Do you disagree?

So, I would rest many of the weary, and play to win.
After reading everyone's thoughts, I'm coming down with mgt. IMO, Bruschi, Samuel & Graham will see little or no action against Miami. Unlike some others, I like our chances in Denver, either in the 2nd round, which I'd prefer, or the CS. I'd rather play Indy in the CS. Don't want to play Pitt or Cincy. Incidentally, BB has been much less emphatic about saying he will treat Miami as "another division game" as he did the Jets.

I honestly think the point is moot, trhat Cincy will beat KC. KC has already shown that they can lay an egg in an important game, against the Giants. And Marvin Lewis does not want to go into the playoffs on a multi-game losing streak -- last week was a wakeup call to him and his team. Having success for less than a season does not earn you the right to be complacent, and the Bengals will be much better off going into the playoffs if they beat KC.

Joker said:

"buy" a 2nd grade education...and then come back

We'll see Sunday brotha man

Aqua4Ever04 said:
We'll see Sunday brotha man
I'm pretty sure on Sunday that buy will still mean "...To acquire in exchange for money or its equivalent; purchase".

alamo said:
I honestly think the point is moot, trhat Cincy will beat KC. KC has already shown that they can lay an egg in an important game, against the Giants. And Marvin Lewis does not want to go into the playoffs on a multi-game losing streak -- last week was a wakeup call to him and his team. Having success for less than a season does not earn you the right to be complacent, and the Bengals will be much better off going into the playoffs if they beat KC.

KC is on something like a 17 game winning streak at home in December (yes, I know the game is on Jan1st), and they just beat a desperate Chargers team. Of course, they're a desperate team too and still alive in the playoff picture (just barely). This may be Vermeil's last game also, so they'll play hard. The Bengals can still win, but it's a much tougher game than the Pats / Miami. And of course, maybe the Bengals WANT to lose and be the 4th seed and play Jacksonville instead of Pittsburgh. Therefore, I'd give the Bengals a 50% chance of winning even if they play all their starters most of the game. I'd give the Pats a 90% chance of winning if they play their starters the same way.

Is the Pats game the same time as the Bengals game? If not, the outcome of one could obviously impact how the other is played.

(Sorry, feeling too lazy to look up the schedules)

Patjew said:
Is the Pats game the same time as the Bengals game? If not, the outcome of one could obviously impact how the other is played.

(Sorry, feeling too lazy to look up the schedules)

Both 1:00 PM Sunday

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I'm pretty sure on Sunday that buy will still mean "...To acquire in exchange for money or its equivalent; purchase".

yep, and the fins will have another one in the win collum and the pats can chalk one up in the loss column. soak it in now, cuz your run is over

Aqua4Ever04 said:
yep, and the fins will have another one in the win collum and the pats can chalk one up in the loss column. soak it in now, cuz your run is over
"collum"...

Ochmed Jones said:
There is no way BB lays down on Sunday. Offensively he's going to continue to work on the running game, clock control and execution on converting 3rd downs, while defensively playing semi vanilla schemes, unless we get a decent lead (like we did against the Jets) then he tones it down to total vanilla.
:yeahthat:

A reminder to all who advocate resting starters in the fourth quarter, this goes to all the coaches/players who talk about playing for 60 minutes and finishing strong. How many game winning, come-from-behind drives has Tommy engineered? He can do that because he and his team work to play strong through sixty minutes plus. Deactivating players like Daniel Graham who are still recuperating is one thing, resting our 'starters' is more problematic, we have 22 starters, add in Jarvis Green, Kevin Faulk, Hank Poteat, Patrick Pass, Troy Brown, Tim Dwight, Tom Ashworth, Adam Vinetiari, Josh Miller, Loni Paxton, and Bethel Johnson who are critical situational players, and you don't have enough people left to play the game.

Whichever seed we get is unimportant, preparing the team mentally and emotionally for the playoffs is the mission this Sunday.

Box_O_Rocks said:
:yeahthat:

A reminder to all who advocate resting starters in the fourth quarter, this goes to all the coaches/players who talk about playing for 60 minutes and finishing strong. How many game winning, come-from-behind drives has Tommy engineered? He can do that because he and his team work to play strong through sixty minutes plus. Deactivating players like Daniel Graham who are still recuperating is one thing, resting our 'starters' is more problematic, we have 22 starters, add in Jarvis Green, Kevin Faulk, Hank Poteat, Patrick Pass, Troy Brown, Tim Dwight, Tom Ashworth, Adam Vinetiari, Josh Miller, Loni Paxton, and Bethel Johnson who are critical situational players, and you don't have enough people left to play the game.

Whichever seed we get is unimportant, preparing the team mentally and emotionally for the playoffs is the mission this Sunday.

:agree:

10 characters!

Aqua4Ever04 said:
yea i would be critizing others typos if i was a sad fan because my teams fun is over

Subject Troll: Aqua4Ever04

Talking Points Included

_______ Tuck rule
_______ Manning
_______ Pats fans can not discuss bad officiating.
_______ Multiple injuries to Pats should not be considered.
___√____ Pats domination is over

Last edited:
Aqua4Ever04 said:
yea i would be critizing others typos if i was a sad fan because my teams fun is over
"critizing"

gett spel chek, morron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back