PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Strategy for Beating the Eagles in the Superbowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jets are playing in the Super Bowl.

Rex said so.

Do you honestly feel that or are you saying that because you feel those teams are being overlooked. TBH I was saying the same thing you were last week with everyone anointing the eagles the NFC crown but after looking at the entire NFC a little more objectively Id have to go with Philly and GB at the head of the pack and Atlanta and NO a step behind. Green Bay blew out the Falcons in the dome. And Philly played them extremely close with the game coming down to the last possession. With the moves philly made Id say their secondary matches up well with the high powered offenses not to mention they have a solid pass rush. Same goes for GB's Defense. I have questions about Atlanta's secondary as well as NO entire D.

I do. I base it primarily on my faith in the starting QBs and the "accumulation of talent" problem (that often just grabbing talent doesn't pan out).

On D - I'd take GB over all three of the others.

Yes, Vick was great in 2010. But do we really think he's moved ahead of Brees after one great season ? I also just believe that both Ryan and Rodgers will be better QBs than Vick this season. In fact, I'm quite confident (unfortunately) that Vick's style won't allow him to play all 16 games.

His best, most electrifying WR isn't in camp yet and they may lose a guy on the OL.

I know A Reed gets lots of love as well, but do we like him more than the coaches running the other three (two of whom have a ring already) ?

Maybe GB doesn't get back because repeating is hard, maybe the Falcons have a QB who hasn't won the SB yet... I'd put them in this order : NO - GB - ATL - PHI.

Am I way off ? We'll see. Just NOT feeling the love for Vick (btw : don't care at all about his court issues from the past, so I am totally basing on my belief he can't duplicate 2010).

Last edited:
I do. I base it primarily on my faith in the starting QBs and the "accumulation of talent" problem (that often just grabbing talent doesn't pan out).
Andy Reid has went out and grabbed players who fit what they do in Philly. They had money to spend and they did just that.
On D - I'd take GB over all three of the others.
Id say they're about equal with Philly holding the edge in the secondary and GB holding the edge in the front 7.
Yes, Vick was great in 2010. But do we really think he's moved ahead of Brees after one great season ? I also just believe that both Ryan and Rodgers will be better QBs than Vick this season. In fact, I'm quite confident (unfortunately) that Vick's style won't allow him to play all 16 games.
He doesn't have to move ahead of Brees to make it to the NFC championship game. The Saints have some questions on Defense to answer and they showed that out in Seattle. Rodgers and Ryan will probably be better passers than Vick but neither can truely take over a game like Vick can with his legs. I can't really predict if Vick will go down with his playing style but I do know the acquisition of Ronnie Brown will probably lead them to run the ball more than last season.

His best, most electrifying WR isn't in camp yet and they may lose a guy on the OL.
Granted if Jackson doesn't show up the Eagles take a big hit.
I know A Reed gets lots of love as well, but do we like him more than the coaches running the other three (two of whom have a ring already) ?
Andy Reid is the best coach in the NFL to not have a superbowl. I would take Payton and McCarth over him though.
Maybe GB doesn't get back because repeating is hard, maybe the Falcons have a QB who hasn't won the SB yet... I'd put them in this order : NO - GB - ATL - PHI.

Am I way off ? We'll see. Just NOT feeling the love for Vick (btw : don't care at all about his court issues from the past, so I am totally basing on my belief he can't duplicate 2010).

Vick in my mind is a top 10 QB and one of the few players to be able to take over a game pretty much by himself. Without looking it up, who were his wideouts when he took the Falcons to the NFC championship game? I remember them having a solid defense and Dunn had a good season but he was the reason that team was as successful as they were.

I can't say that your arguments are wrong or bad - you lay out logical and fair points.

Philly may indeed represent the NFC in the SB. So much can happen in a season that we may not have a good picture before snowfall (ugh, the thought)...

Who knows ? Another team might go crazy (NYG, Arizona, Chicago) but I think the four teams we already mentionned are the most likely, obv.

I'll go with one of my three, you bet on the Eagles. Or, if that's not fair, I'll say New Orleans... Either way I pray that NE gets the last laugh.

Do you honestly feel that or are you saying that because you feel those teams are being overlooked. TBH I was saying the same thing you were last week with everyone anointing the eagles the NFC crown but after looking at the entire NFC a little more objectively Id have to go with Philly and GB at the head of the pack and Atlanta and NO a step behind. Green Bay blew out the Falcons in the dome. And Philly played them extremely close with the game coming down to the last possession. With the moves philly made Id say their secondary matches up well with the high powered offenses not to mention they have a solid pass rush. Same goes for GB's Defense. I have questions about Atlanta's secondary as well as NO entire D.

Im more of the mind that like the Redskins signing of old, Eagles are just the off season NFC Champions right now. These dream team signings rarely work, and as right now there secondary has not proved anything, and neither has their DL. If these guys can't play as a team, instead of playing like superstar individuals, like vick does, they will probably fall apart.

Only thing I know for certain is vick always falls apart at the end of the season , andy can't tell time, and with the #29 ranked offensive line its a good thing vick can run because there RB's won't be that productive.

Atlanta is a different story, but they have no depth, and are being graded because of a rookie WR, I'm not buying it, R. White sucked until last year, and if White or turner get hurt they will lose games.

We think tampa bay is a better team than Atlanta. I think their going to be the sleeper this year.

GB and NO are pretty hard to figure out , though, we do have more weapons, plus strange as this may sound, our defense was ranked higher than GB last season and lower on other stat sites but never below #7 in NFL , so not sure why are defense is a concern for you , they have gotten better every year with GW ( I wonder were those guys were vs the Seahawks)
, and GB has a OL problem. LOL, not that we can take advantage of that. I guess we will see when we play them the 1st game of the season.
I also would not be surprise to see Dallas or the Giants in a good position for a run at the end of the year.

A touch overboard to say that R White sucked before 2010...

Interesting times ahead in the NFC (in the NFL really) - I suppose we are all trying to analyse off season winners, which is never (rarely) a fullproof strategy.

Im more of the mind that like the Redskins signing of old, Eagles are just the off season NFC Champions right now. These dream team signings rarely work, and as right now there secondary has not proved anything, and neither has their DL. If these guys can't play as a team, instead of playing like superstar individuals, like vick does, they will probably fall apart.
Signing a corner, trading a backup qb for another and adding a couple of DE doesn't equate to dream team signings IMO. Go back 2 years and their offseason would be considered poor outside of Nnamdi.
Only thing I know for certain is vick always falls apart at the end of the season , andy can't tell time, and with the #29 ranked offensive line its a good thing vick can run because there RB's won't be that productive.
How does Vick fall apart at the end of the season? He actually played very well at the end of the season. Reid's clock management and decision making is suspect. They added Watkins on draft day so their offensive line should improve.
Atlanta is a different story, but they have no depth, and are being graded because of a rookie WR, I'm not buying it, R. White sucked until last year, and if White or turner get hurt they will lose games.
Outside of QB I don't like to say any one player is the difference between wins and losses before anything happens. Fact is Atlanta was a 13 win team without Julio. Ray Edwards was also a nice addition for their Dline.
We think tampa bay is a better team than Atlanta. I think their going to be the sleeper this year.
Don't see how anybody could think Tampa is a better team than Atlanta at this point.
GB and NO are pretty hard to figure out , though, we do have more weapons, plus strange as this may sound, our defense was ranked higher than GB last season and lower on other stat sites but never below #7 in NFL , so not sure why are defense is a concern for you , they have gotten better every year with GW ( I wonder were those guys were vs the Seahawks)
, and GB has a OL problem. LOL, not that we can take advantage of that. I guess we will see when we play them the 1st game of the season.
I also would not be surprise to see Dallas or the Giants in a good position for a run at the end of the year.
The Seattle game put alot of doubt in my mind, especially the dline. Dallas should contend with Romo back and the Giants are always in the mix. I could see the two wildcards coming from the south and east.

Originally Posted by pherein
Signing a corner, trading a backup qb for another and adding a couple of DE doesn't equate to dream team signings IMO. Go back 2 years and their offseason would be considered poor outside of Nnamdi.
I agree, I respect what Nnamdi brings to the table, but its hard to sustain that level of play, and now that QB's know him I wonder if he will be as good after they start planing around him. And Jacksons 4.35 does not make him a super threat and long range devastating weapon, you have to have a lot of guys that are fast and born with ball skills to be a threat, not one guy, heck
Jabari Greer was a track athlete and , he ran a time of 4.37 seconds in the 40.
Malcolm Jenkins 4.55
Marques Colston and Lance Moore 4.52
Devery Henderson 4.37 ( Most still don't understand that Henderson is one of the fastest guys in the NFL, too funny, hehe, they never cover him )

Robert Meachem 4.39
and guess what Tracy porter 4.29!!!! (porter can cover Jackson)
Jackson is not a major threat against a solid secondary
Your right, the eagles are a lot of hype right now. This "Dream team" label is only going to hurt them, because they can't live up to it, and how do you regroup when the "Dream Team" gets its ass kicked,lol. and they will, we all do :) There not even close to the 2007 Patriots or even the 1978 steelers.

40-yard dash is just a waste of time for NFL prospects - New Orleans Saints Beat - Times-Picayune - NOLA.com

How does Vick fall apart at the end of the season? He actually played very well at the end of the season. Reid's clock management and decision making is suspect. They added Watkins on draft day so their offensive line should improve.

God I hate looking at eagles stats, makes me feel filthy,lol. Their fans need to grow up a bit. We played vick a lot, and knew how to shut him down, and we were not that good then. Vick might look confident but he's not. We used to blitz the ends and force him to run up the middle, worked great, and ran time off the clock. Vick has speed but he doesn't have a RB's vision or ability to take damage, and can take only so many hits running up the middle. He get confused when you do this to him. Well the Eagles Lost the last 3 games of the 2010 season and not with the injuries or just not playing guys like we did in 2009. I call that choke.

Outside of QB I don't like to say any one player is the difference between wins and losses before anything happens. Fact is Atlanta was a 13 win team without Julio. Ray Edwards was also a nice addition for their Dline.

They got lucky. Watch their footage from last season, no injuries, and the ball went their way. They didn't take advantage of it, and GB showed them what a good team looks like, GB destroyed them.

Abraham and Edward's is great, but it won't fix there secondary or ability to constantly beat good teams. Their 2-8 vs a Payton/Brees team sense 2006, and they beat us once last year because heartly missed a 11 yard FG to win the game, thats just luck. Julio is a rookie, he's not going to be that great his 1st season, and against faster guys like porter/greer he might even hurt atlanta, because there a lot better a bating the Ryan to throw his way. Im just not buying Atlanta, we have always played them hurt and they still can't manage to beat us 2-0 yet.

Don't see how anybody could think Tampa is a better team than Atlanta at this point.

I think you have to see Tampa play in person to understand this. Freeman is smarter, stronger, a better passer, is as hard to bring down as Big Ben, is accurate ( no ryan balls, 30 yards from any receiver ), and we think he's already better than ryan. Tampa is very physical, like us, and very fast at WR and TE.
Funny thing , you know that Sanchez has a worse record than Henne in Miami, and there about to replace him.lolol

The Seattle game put alot of doubt in my mind, especially the dline. Dallas should contend with Romo back and the Giants are always in the mix. I could see the two wildcards coming from the south and east.

Common TriplecHamp, your a smart guy, should I judge the Patriots on our beat down in 2009, or the Browns game , or the Jets win to end the season? Noo,lol. 7 times out 10 you would beat the Jets.

That happens , thats life, we can't be 100% every day. The best team that ever walked the earth was the 2007 Patriots, they would beat the Miami undefeated team, we all know that. And it will never happen again.
I think most Patriots fans look at that year and get mad or don't want to talk about it, but the truth is you beat Miami in games won before you got to the Super Bowl . You did it. One fuke pass donsnt change what your boys accomplished that year.

I bring that up for one reason, we are not the 2007 patriots, and never will be.
our offense lost all of our TE's, RB's, Brees was hurt, you know greer played with a dislocated shoulder for 11 games and could not put his arms above his shoulders ? . lost our LB's ( except Vilma) , and 2 OL at that point and still managed 38pts. We should have won. 38pts will win almost all games in the NFL, but our Defense just had a really bad day vs a team we destroyed earlier.....hmmm... see any parallels there,lol

While I have your attention friend let me try to erase some of that doubt and let you know that our defense has been getting better every year ( not by leaps and bounds, but by training and foot by foot) , and what we are doing now
NFL: Why the New Orleans Saints Won the OffSeason, Not the Philadelphia Eagles | Bleacher Report

and TC is getting brutal as usual under Payton, if its over 100-120 degrees payton makes them play outside. Even Sproles said he now understands why the East coast of the NFL said the west coast was soft, we are,lol

yeah, I think Dallas or the Giants are going to do better than most think also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey