PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stopping Russell Wilson is key, and possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm Seattle, I'm tempted to trot out some kind of sandlot formation to try to simplify things. E.g., 4 wide as a running formation.

Keep him in the pocket, mix the coverages. We don't even need a pass rush. His whole game is rolling out/being on the move. If we do that, even while letting Lynch get his yards, we win the game.
Suspect pats will play a lot of zone to keep wilson in the pocket. BB sometimes plays very scared vs mobile Qbs even ones like Geno. Hopefully we maintain our aggressiveness along with trying to keep him in the pocket

Russel Wilson is smart and that is the very reason why he will struggle. Our defense can be complex but a lot of the times it is very simple and quarterbacks just over think it. A Guy like Geno, who isn't capable of over thinking anything, is proof that being dumb or a green/rookie qb isn't always a detriment when going against our defense.

I think he will learn a hard lesson that throwing up jump balls to average wrs against above average cbs will lead to a pick at some point.

IMO the Seahawks are just like the Steelers SB teams from a few years a go great defense good run game and a mobile QB that buys time to get the deep ball. and the pats owned dose team cause the offense got the lead and defense took the deep ball away if the pats do that this sunday they will win

The Seattle offense looks pedestrian for the first three quarters and then somehow turns into the Greatest Show on Turf in the Fourth Quarter. I don't know if that is a function of wearing down the opposing defense (on the field a lot because the Seattle D gets of the field quickly), but that seems to be the pattern.

From what I have seen they generally rely on big plays. Many of those are broken plays. The key will be to avoid getting out of position. No 30 yard scrambles. No 45 yard TDs to Kearse. No 50 yard runs by Lynch.

It's a tough spot for the Pats in that you want Nink setting the edge vs the run however he has the least amount of speed an agility to stay with Wilson on the controlled bootlegs they run. Since they're likely to go big anyway one option is that this is a high snap count game for Ayers and you give him a high level of bootleg contain on Wilson while still letting Nink contain the edge. In standard pocket drop backs I'd prefer Collins playing the role of Mathews who did a great job of spying, closing the gap on quickly and hitting Wilson. Like anything with the Patriots we'll see a blended approach and once they find out what's working a heavier dose of that.

Our defense is good enough to stop their air attack. I look for Collins to play the famous Bruschi role as the spy. He either spies Lynch or Wilson....and for Collins it will not be to difficult. Patriots can handle Seattle with the big nickel most of the game.

Last edited:
The Seattle offense looks pedestrian for the first three quarters and then somehow turns into the Greatest Show on Turf in the Fourth Quarter. I don't know if that is a function of wearing down the opposing defense (on the field a lot because the Seattle D gets of the field quickly), but that seems to be the pattern.

From what I have seen they generally rely on big plays. Many of those are broken plays. The key will be to avoid getting out of position. No 30 yard scrambles. No 45 yard TDs to Kearse. No 50 yard runs by Lynch.

This is exactly carroll's game plan. Win the game in the fourth after wearing the opposition down.

I loved Wilson coming out of Wisconsin and I worry that the Pats are going to let him extend plays like they do with any mobile QB

we struggle against " mobile " qb's...even geno has given us some problems and he's horrible.
stop the run, keep wilson contained in the pocket/make him beat you with his arm. if he goes, fair enough

Suspect pats will play a lot of zone to keep wilson in the pocket. BB sometimes plays very scared vs mobile Qbs even ones like Geno. Hopefully we maintain our aggressiveness along with trying to keep him in the pocket

I think you may be mistaking playing "scared" for playing "contain."

I think you may be mistaking playing "scared" for playing "contain."
I guess scared was a wrong word. Conservative maybe. They even let Geno smith have all the time in the pocket worried about his running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back