PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stopping Russell Wilson is key, and possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Wilson is a fine athlete and can wreck you with his legs and, as we've seen, come back with big plays after a terrible game.

However, as Green Bay demonstrated, his patience, judgment and abilities are questionable when forced to work out of the pocket for a long period.

I think we concentrate on containing him, stay stout against Lynch and keep hands in the air from tall guys like Jones and Branch and be patient and we are better off. He's 5'11".

Let our secondary do the work of covering, disguising and make him beat us. I think we can frustrate him, then pressure will be easier and more effective.

Thoughts?

What you said is all true; however I would say stopping Lynch is the key, because it then puts it on Wilson to figure out the Patriots defense. Containing Wilson is a corollary, but if they don't stop Lynch it doesn't matter because Wilson won't have to do much beyond handing the ball off.

Overall key is, be disciplined. Do your job. Don't break down and give up big plays when things get helter skelter.

I think we concentrate on containing him, stay stout against Lynch and keep hands in the air from tall guys like Jones and Branch and be patient and we are better off. He's 5'11".
Against Luck, Nink seemed to make a point of getting his hands up more than I can remember. I hope that's a point of emphasis across the line for this game.

They have to keep Lynch in check, tackle perfectly all day, and keep Wilson inside the pocket, if they do this defensively they have an excellent chance to win this game. This will be their toughest game of the season but they have their best players healthy and I belief Belichick will have the game plan to win it off they stick to it the way they did the game plan against the Rams years ago.

Keep him in the pocket, mix the coverages. We don't even need a pass rush. His whole game is rolling out/being on the move. If we do that, even while letting Lynch get his yards, we win the game.

What you said is all true; however I would say stopping Lynch is the key, because it then puts it on Wilson to figure out the Patriots defense. Containing Wilson is a corollary, but if they don't stop Lynch it doesn't matter because Wilson won't have to do much beyond handing the ball off.

Overall key is, be disciplined. Do your job. Don't break down and give up big plays when things get helter skelter.

I agree. I did say stay stout against Lynch and obviously, that might be easier said than done, but with branch, Wilfork and Siliga, we should be able to keep him from taking over the game. We don't have to stop him, just contain him. Our d should be able to do that enough so they need to get some points elsewhere too.

The problem is, IMO, that the players who stop Lynch from taking over won't be containing Wilson from running outside. Pressure, but contain and patience, IMO. Our secondary is the wild card. He's not likely to do as much with time in the pocket as a Brady or Manning and our secondary should be able to make plays on him.

Our interior run defense isn't superior, but it ain't the colts either. We should be able make Lynch work for his yards.

As little as i knew about defenses, i know less now, with all the sub packages. We're obviously not going to be in a "big tackle" heavy defense often and we do miss a Jerod mayo in these circumstance, but what do we do to stop Lynch in passing situation where we are in sub?

Wilson is a fine athlete and can wreck you with his legs and, as we've seen, come back with big plays after a terrible game.

However, as Green Bay demonstrated, his patience, judgment and abilities are questionable when forced to work out of the pocket for a long period.

Let our secondary do the work of covering, disguising and make him beat us. I think we can frustrate him, then pressure will be easier and more effective.

Thoughts?

Chatham had the same thoughts:

http://www.footballbyfootball.com/column/russell-wilson-no-edge-no-chance

Sure and I saw that article, so my thoughts are hardly original. It just seems to me, we have the secondary, for the first time since wayback (Clayborn, Haynes and some great safeties) where we don't need to panic if the qb, especially this type, has time in the pocket.

How about a spy? Do we use a safety for that so Ninko consistently keeps the edge? Remember, I'm no x and o's guy or football coach, i played baseball in high school, so be nice:D.

Seems to me that the key to stopping Seattle is to take away Wilson's big scrambling plays -- both his runs on third and long and his downfield completions scrambling out of the pocket. I don't think Seattle is the kind of team that can sustain many long drives. I could be a mistake to focus too heavily on Lynch. If he gets 200 yards and Wilson get nothing, the Pats win.

Wilson rushed for 849 yards this year.

IMO - stop Lynch & you stop the Seattle offense.

If he has a poor to mediocre game the pressure transfers to Wilson and the Seattle D

Seems to me that the key to stopping Seattle is to take away Wilson's big scrambling plays -- both his runs on third and long and his downfield completions scrambling out of the pocket. I don't think Seattle is the kind of team that can sustain many long drives. I could be a mistake to focus too heavily on Lynch. If he gets 200 yards and Wilson get nothing, the Pats win.

Wilson rushed for 849 yards this year.

I agree to an extent. they can't let Lynch run wild or Seattle dictates like those ugly Jets games. They need to do both and they give up risky pass rushing moves in favor of patience IMO. Pressure, but stay in your lane.

im interested to see what exotic game plan Belichick puts together for the superbowl for the seahawks. it is the first time hes actually had the pieces to do it since the championship years. hes usually good at taking away what the other team does best.

that would be

1. Marshawn lynch

2. Wilsons scrambling ability.

if we put Wilson in 3rd and longs and keep him in the pocket we have a good chance of winning this game

Bumping another substantive thread back to the top. We're on to the Superbowl.

Against Luck, Nink seemed to make a point of getting his hands up more than I can remember. I hope that's a point of emphasis across the line for this game.

Having a smart player like Nink on the side of the field that Wilson will typically roll out to is important. Nink is a heady player, compared to a Chandler Jones who's more "bronze" in his playing-style. Nink is hardly lightning-quick, but BB can trust him to make better decisions in protecting that side of the field.

This is an interesting strategy that generally applies to many opponents. Amongst other things, having the more talented player on the defensive right-side allows the player to think less about the threat of QBs rolling out (being that most QBs are rightys). The opposite DE or OLB should possess more game-smarts.

I have not seen the 'Hawks' offense play much outside of the post-season, but my simplistic assessment is that the offense:
  • possesses limited WRs and receiving threats
  • great running game due to Lynch
  • Offensive line is decent-to-above average
  • Wilson benefits from a) a great running game, b) defense, and c) running ability. Granted he has few receiving targets
Our defense:
  • Line up the beef with the DTs, even going to 3 DTs at times
  • cheat the linebackers in the box. This accomplishes the dual purpose of limiting the rush attack and Wilson's running ability
  • With their WR limitations, rely on our pass defenders by providing less help
  • utilize the linebacker corp (Ayers?) to track and follow Wilson
Thoughts?

Sure and I saw that article, so my thoughts are hardly original. It just seems to me, we have the secondary, for the first time since wayback (Clayborn, Haynes and some great safeties) where we don't need to panic if the qb, especially this type, has time in the pocket.

How about a spy? Do we use a safety for that so Ninko consistently keeps the edge? Remember, I'm no x and o's guy or football coach, i played baseball in high school, so be nice:D.

In the last game against Seattle, we actually had three spies at a time, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this conitnue, in that we have multiple spies in disguise (e.g., pretending to engage but attacking Wilson if he enters their AOR).

And yes, we definitely won't panic if Wilson stays in the pocket- the longer he stays there, the less effective he is. It's when he breaks the pocket that we have to worry, hence the discussion on the read option.

I remember that as well. Wilson is a shorter QB and I think that is a good plan.

The Giants can luck TB12s passes down then we should be able to keep Wilson in the pocket and knock his passes down. I hope

Make him try to beat you with his arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes