PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stopping Jets offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever hear of Benedict Arnold?

To be fair to the man himself, his legacy is very complicated. He made huge sacrifices in the beginning of the Revolutionary War, and was the person who suggested the radical idea of seizing Fort Ticonderoga in New York and hauling their artillery all the way back to Boston (battle of Bunker Hill) where a faceoff resulted in the British fleet leaving the harbor (since the artillery was positioned on the hill, facing the harbor). This resulted in a big change of attitude for the common citizen and led them to believe that just perhaps, the British Army wasn't so invincible.

He also led the fateful expedition all the way up to Quebec with the idea of seizing the fort there- it was one of the biggest sacrifices of the war, one where most of the men died.

He was also passed over for promotion a few times, by men who were politically connected. Despite that, he distinguished himself in the defense of Rhode Island, both battles of Saratoga, and was one of the few people who stayed in Valley Forge during the darkest hours of the Continental Army.

It is a mystery as to why he chose to defect, and this is a topic forever debated by scholars to this day.

One thing of concern is that (aside from Lions game) the Patriots loses steam during the 4th quarter, and allowing the opponent to score plenty of points. You can say those were garbage points, but, the Jets have a knack of winning the close games. If you allow the Jets to score pts in the 4th, they have a better chance of winning it, than any other team, so far.
I put more stock in the fact that the Patriots have not allowed an opponent to tie a game or take a lead in the 4th quarter than I do in extrapolating how they play with a big lead to how they play without one. I prefer to use how they play without a large lead to forecast how they will play without a large lead.

Good point about that the 10 yard cushion because as a Defense you are literally conceding 6 yards to the Offense. 2nd and short 9 times out of 10 is advantage Offense.

they've done a better job of mixing it up recently but Sanchez to Holmes on the slant routes have been far too effective for them. Not giving him a clean release and disrupting the timing will be key to slowing them down. The safeties need to get more involved in shutting down Keller as well.

Watch BB come up with some crazy ways to get the TEs involved in different ways. I don't see ANY defense shutting down Branch, Welker, Woody and the TEs all at once.

BB is going to have to pull out the books for this one. The Bengals moved the ball decently well against them at times. If they can do this, we can.

Jets fan here - not looking to troll just have some good ole football talk.

Here are some observations on Sanchez.

Obviously you guys have the #1 qb in the league - no denying it and you win this matchup by a huge margin. But I think some of you are reading into the stats a little to much on Sanchez and are underestimating him a little.

I think he is above average for one simple reason, there are 32 teams in the NFL and there are not 16 qbs in the league I would take over him. There are probably 10-13 off the top of my head that I would. That makes him slightly above average. He is tied for league lead in the only stat that matters (wins).
Sanchez will not take the team on his back all game long and win a shootout for you but in a close game in the fourth, he has confidence, balls and more than enough get it done.

His completion % is skewed a little lower because the Jets try to stretch the field with the deep ball at least 5 times a game with very low percentage passes - so even if hits 70% of his 26 shorter throws (18) and only hits one of his low % throws he is 19 out of 34 for 55%. As opposed to a Chad Pennington who would complete a high % but never attempt any deep balls.
That being said - that is oversimplified and there are other factors as well. Sanchez still has a ways to improve in this area if he is to be considered an upper level QB.

I have noticed a lot of talk here about the Jets using the slant route. The Jets do not run many slants to the wr's at all. The slant to Holmes in the Cleveland game was the first one thrown that entire game. They throw way more to the outside. When the Jets throw inside it usually a deep curl route.
I would not be concerned with Jets beating you with slants. Even if it is your weakness you can count on our OC not to try to exploit it. Being that your pass D is suspect (ranking wise), I would expect the Jets to come out with an extremely run heavy game plan.

Jets fan here - not looking to troll just have some good ole football talk.

Here are some observations on Sanchez.

Obviously you guys have the #1 qb in the league - no denying it and you win this matchup by a huge margin. But I think some of you are reading into the stats a little to much on Sanchez and are underestimating him a little.

I think he is above average for one simple reason, there are 32 teams in the NFL and there are not 16 qbs in the league I would take over him. There are probably 10-13 off the top of my head that I would. That makes him slightly above average. He is tied for league lead in the only stat that matters (wins).
Sanchez will not take the team on his back all game long and win a shootout for you but in a close game in the fourth, he has confidence, balls and more than enough get it done.
He has not proven that to me. He has gotten, by his below average play, his team in tight games with bad teams, that he won because of the other team screwing up.
Vs Denver the game was over and he heaved 45 yard desperation pass on 4th down that would not have been caught and the defender for some unknown reason reached back for a WR who couldnt make the catch.
Vs Detroit, it was over if they ran on 3rd down, or if Peterson didnt have a late hit 10 yards out of bounds.
Vs Cleveland he failed to put it away numerous times and would not have won without a stupid fumble and another illadvised pass where a run would have killed the clock.
Vs Houston, he threw an Int that should have ended the game on the next to last drive, after other failed drives helped them get back in it.
He has out his team in a hole vs bad teams and bringing them back seems to be more about opponents errors.
Of course he will continue to have to opportunity to prove that he is the kind of player you are already prematurely annointing him, but those 4 games dont do it.

His completion % is skewed a little lower because the Jets try to stretch the field with the deep ball at least 5 times a game with very low percentage passes - so even if hits 70% of his 26 shorter throws (18) and only hits one of his low % throws he is 19 out of 34 for 55%. As opposed to a Chad Pennington who would complete a high % but never attempt any deep balls.
Too bad the facts dont agree with that excuse.

That being said - that is oversimplified and there are other factors as well. Sanchez still has a ways to improve in this area if he is to be considered an upper level QB.

I have noticed a lot of talk here about the Jets using the slant route. The Jets do not run many slants to the wr's at all. The slant to Holmes in the Cleveland game was the first one thrown that entire game. They throw way more to the outside. When the Jets throw inside it usually a deep curl route.
I would not be concerned with Jets beating you with slants. Even if it is your weakness you can count on our OC not to try to exploit it. Being that your pass D is suspect (ranking wise), I would expect the Jets to come out with an extremely run heavy game plan.
I think you intended that as a slam on your OC, but that kind of strategy is smart.
If I am going against a team that has a secondary that cant cover, and I come out throwing every down to exploit it, I am giving them notice to overcomensate for the pass, and give the dbs help. Now I am throwing against bad dbs with them getting help. If I run the ball, and make them play honest, now I will torch the weakness.
The key to football isnt attacking the weakness 60 times so the entire defense is overcompensating against it, it is to weaken the defense so it has to rely on the weak guy to do his job with no help then attack him. 10 times of that is enough for a blowout.

Guys want some funny jets fans quotes? Here there are from their forum:

"The Jets will run the ball successfully against this defense and they will pass the ball successfully too. I think LT and Greene have big games here. It's going to be very frustrating for Brady (you know that pout he gets when things don't go right? Well here it comes...). I just can't see any way for the Pats to win here. They have maybe a 20 percent punchers chance, but the odds of it are very low.

Jets 28
Pats 14

Once again. "

"If you beat the Jets it's gonna be by 7 or less, not by three touchdowns. See the problem for the Pats now?"

"Sanchez plays big in big games and I expect another one next Monday night"

"Brady better utilize his TEs and RBs in the passing game because everything else is going to get shut down. "

"yep. The Pats win by outscoring opponents.

That's not how you win a SB"

I will be laughing for days from these fools :singing:

Unless something weird happens..it should be pretty cold that night...I pretty much guarantee..the Jets will try to pound the Pats....and keep Brady off the field....

Another guarantee...Brad Smith will throw at least once from the wildcat formation....looking for a big play...Jets have not done that once this year...perfect game to try it.

I pretty much guarantee..the Jets will try to pound the Pats....and keep Brady off the field....

umm..new flash...every team that plays the pats trys to do this :rolleyes:

I am living in NYC fellas and it seems they are pretty confident that the jets will beat the pats.I cant stand the talk on sports radio.:mad:One guy i cant stand is Gary Myers up here.I hope the pats come threw here.I cant stand Rex Ryan and his big mouth!

I am living in NYC fellas and it seems they are pretty confident that the jets will beat the pats.I cant stand the talk on sports radio.:mad:One guy i cant stand is Gary Myers up here.I hope the pats come threw here.I cant stand Rex Ryan and his big mouth!

From what i have seen on the jets fourm..they are confident that the pats dont stand a chance..even if they are home and mark sanchez is going to go off :rolleyes:

Very true..but not many teams have 3 pro bowlers on O line..and can actually do it...and want to...

Since when do the Jets have 3 Pro-bowlers on their O-line???

Very true..but not many teams have 3 pro bowlers on O line..and can actually do it...and want to...
Your running game isnt scaring anyone lately.

He has not proven that to me. He has gotten, by his below average play, his team in tight games with bad teams, that he won because of the other team screwing up.
Vs Denver the game was over and he heaved 45 yard desperation pass on 4th down that would not have been caught and the defender for some unknown reason reached back for a WR who couldnt make the catch.
Vs Detroit, it was over if they ran on 3rd down, or if Peterson didnt have a late hit 10 yards out of bounds.
Vs Cleveland he failed to put it away numerous times and would not have won without a stupid fumble and another illadvised pass where a run would have killed the clock.
Vs Houston, he threw an Int that should have ended the game on the next to last drive, after other failed drives helped them get back in it.
He has out his team in a hole vs bad teams and bringing them back seems to be more about opponents errors.
Of course he will continue to have to opportunity to prove that he is the kind of player you are already prematurely annointing him, but those 4 games dont do it.

Too bad the facts dont agree with that excuse.

I think you intended that as a slam on your OC, but that kind of strategy is smart.
If I am going against a team that has a secondary that cant cover, and I come out throwing every down to exploit it, I am giving them notice to overcomensate for the pass, and give the dbs help. Now I am throwing against bad dbs with them getting help. If I run the ball, and make them play honest, now I will torch the weakness.
The key to football isnt attacking the weakness 60 times so the entire defense is overcompensating against it, it is to weaken the defense so it has to rely on the weak guy to do his job with no help then attack him. 10 times of that is enough for a blowout.

Why cannot you just take some observations without taking it like he is being annointed to Brady/Manning status. All I was pointing out is that he is not in the Brady Quinn, Ryan Leaf, Matt Leinart type status that many here beleive.

Sorry but on the completion % - the facts do agree - go back and watch the games, count the deep throws and then do the Math, not that hard.

Like it or not - Sanchez is the reason the Jets came back in those games and WAS not the cause for them being close. It is a team game and there are many factors leading up to the opportunity to win or lose it.

I can use the same argument and say that Brady had his team in a position to lose against Indy but the great QB threw a horrible interception at the endwhen he should hav eput them away - see how stupid that sounds.

Yes - I was slamming my OC because he does not know how to call a game that develops any kind of rhythm for the offense. It is his game management and some stupid penalties that were the reason most of those games were close not Sanchez.

But if it makes you feel better - YEAH you guys are right Sanchez sucks, he should never have been a first round pick. Every team in the league has a better qb the stats prove it. Favre and McNabb (this year) are better, Henne is better, Palmer is better, Vince Young is better, Alex Smith is better, Derek Anderson is better, Jason Campbell is better, Jay Cutler is better, Ryan Fitzpatrick is better, Schaub is better, Orton is better, Garrard is better etc., etc., etc.,

Feel better

I'll admit I'm a Jets fan...but respect Brady and Belichick a ton...they are fantastic...I honestly think the Pats will beat the Jets Monday....but the fun is just waiting for it...knowing its probably biggest game of year in AFC maybe NFL...until the playoffs...

As for Jets O Line...Mangold, Brick are pro bowlers...

Woody was

and Brandon Moore is a stud and will make pro bowl this year...

You are right. Jay Cutler is better, Ryan Fitzpatrick is better, Schaub is better, Orton is better, Garrard is better. The rest are at least debatable with the exceptions of Derek Anderson and Alex Smith

You are right. Jay Cutler is better, Ryan Fitzpatrick is better, Schaub is better, Orton is better, Garrard is better. The rest are at least debatable with the exceptions of Derek Anderson and Alex Smith

Sanchez is 24...in his 2nd yr...these guys except Cutler are what 30+ been in league for 5 yrs or more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes