PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stopping Jets offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jets are a better team than us in every spot except QB. It's amazing how good Tom Brady is, sometimes it's easy to take him for granted. We have the distinct advantage in this game because Brady>>>>>Sanchez.

and BB>>Rex.
I bolded it for you because you and I know that was your message, and that's what you really want to say. And anybody that is here at least once a week knows what you really are: a Jets fan.

Isn't it time to come out of the closet? Isn't it time to admit what you really are?

Come on, enough with the phony compliments; those have got to be killing you - even if there only purpose is to set up a subtle dig. Do you really think nobody knows? Does it give you some sort of weird feeling of superiority that you tricked some people on an internet message board into thinking you were a fan of a rival team?

Seriously, that's pretty lame. Very sad, in fact; maybe you should seek some professional help.

Before anybody bashes me, I suggest you click on his name and read all his comments. Then tell me I'm wrong when I say AJY is a Jets fan pretending to be a Pats fan.

If Gostkowski makes a 37 yard field goal (correct me if I'm wrong on the yardage), and if Brady doesn't force balls to Moss (or Moss comes up with "jump balls") we win that game.

Our defense is much better than the last time we played them, and I thought we played them very well in the first half last game. The rate at which our defense has gotten better has to exceed how much better the Jets offense has been improving.

I have lots of faith that the Patriots will come out with the win, and I also think it will be convincing that they are the better team. I will eat these words if I am wrong.

The Patriots, likely, don't shut down the Jet offense. We'll win this game by slowing them down sufficiently for our offense to score more. That has been the formula, a very successful formula, so far this season (or at least mostly the formula this season).
The one thing our defense can do is tighten it up a bit in the red zone (time for BB to turn 'em loose in the red zone?). That is one of two keys to the game for us. The other more important key is protecting Brady. If we can hit on both keys then we likely win. If we succeed on only one key, the score will likely remain somewhat close to the end. If we fail on both keys we are likely toast.

David Harris and Bart Scott are much better then anyone the Pats have at ILB

Mayo is the best ILB in the AFC and is contending to be one of the best ILB's in the NFL right now. I wouldn't put either David Harris or Bart Scott at either of those two levels. On top of that, you're underestimating Brandon Spikes against the run and Gary Guyton against the pass.

Last edited:
The Jets are a better team than us in every spot except QB. It's amazing how good Tom Brady is, sometimes it's easy to take him for granted. We have the distinct advantage in this game because Brady>>>>>Sanchez.

and BB>>Rex.

Please, Mr. Jets fan....(Kontra is 100% right - - your posting history sure shows your masquerading as a Pats fan "us" is disingenuous. It's ok to be a Jets fan here, just be honest like Gunnails and Rex Ryans Gut and respect the folks here by not lying about it). You joined this website on 1/10/2010 two minutes after the Ravens demolished the Pats in the playof game and posted all day that day visions of gloom and "the era is over" posts.

Pretending to be a Pats fan shows you to be a complete liar and fraud.

Anyhoo...... here's words of great wisdom from you just 10 months ago:

" Either way, the past decade was great, the next one looks like Japan's economy in 1989, sun setting - due to a string of bad draftts".

So now that we have the youngest starters in the league and 6 picks in the first 3 rounds next year, how do you like our future now, Mr. Pretender?

Last edited:
I bolded it for you because you and I know that was your message, and that's what you really want to say. And anybody that is here at least once a week knows what you really are: a Jets fan.

Isn't it time to come out of the closet? Isn't it time to admit what you really are?

Come on, enough with the phony compliments; those have got to be killing you - even if there only purpose is to set up a subtle dig. Do you really think nobody knows? Does it give you some sort of weird feeling of superiority that you tricked some people on an internet message board into thinking you were a fan of a rival team?

Seriously, that's pretty lame. Very sad, in fact; maybe you should seek some professional help.

Before anybody bashes me, I suggest you click on his name and read all his comments. Then tell me I'm wrong when I say AJY is a Jets fan pretending to be a Pats fan.

Thanks, Ron, you're 100% right - - after checking his posting history it was obvious he has been a complete fraud. I'm letting him stay for now and giving him the chance to make an honest apology to our posters (who include HONEST fans of other teams also).

The New England pass defense is ranked 30th in the NFL, only ranked above Houston & Washington. If Sanchez had a good day vs Houston why can't he do so vs the Patriots?

because the Patriots are not the Texans :cool: .... and that game was a gift.

I think that shutting down that dog and pony show is by taking away the simple reads. Edwards is a body positioning guy who runs body positioning routes. He's too damn stupid to settle in zones, so if you press, ride the inside technique in with that cover-2 man under look they love so much you'll take away the slant. Mix that up with some zone cover-2 and disguised cover-4 and there's going to be picks off of Edwards side.

I'd take away Keller by mugging him with my backer until they flex him out. I think Keller is soft as a marshmallow and will quit if he knows that he's in for a battle. If he catches the ball, I want him stuck immediately and aggressively. I can see it when he plays, that cat is the tin man. I would leave Holmes to McCourty. He's really the only guy on that offense that actually frightens me schematically. He doesn't need to be doubled, but he can run everything, understands coverages, and is a competitor. I put my best guy on him for fourty snaps and call it a day.

The thing about Sanchez is that he has two routes within the same vision cone to simplify his reads. It's pretty clear to the coaches that he's not ready yet to look things over and survey the field. I would take away these triangle reads and force him to look to the backside of the play consistently from a pocket that is pinching him. He doesn't move worth a damn in the pocket, and if the outsides are collapsing he's going to have to make a play on the slide as it's drawn up. Some QB's you flush, some QB's you get with A Gap, others you force to play field general. I still don't think he can do that consistently for 60 minutes.
I would stay away from the pressure heavy schemes to prevent the use of the Tomlinson screen.

The only throw sanchez makes with comfort and relative ease is the Slants to Holmes! If we back off on the WRs look for the Slant most of the time. Other than that he will go to keller!

Maybe the Jets are better than us in some aspects but we are both 9-2 and both playing good football...Didnt the Chargers have a better team than us? Ravens better team than us? Steelers? So many of these teams were favoured before we played them and look what happened!!!

The only throw sanchez makes with comfort and relative ease is the Slants to Holmes! If we back off on the WRs look for the Slant most of the time. Other than that he will go to keller!

Maybe the Jets are better than us in some aspects but we are both 9-2 and both playing good football...Didnt the Chargers have a better team than us? Ravens better team than us? Steelers? So many of these teams were favoured before we played them and look what happened!!!

Indeed. We need to do a good job of pressing their WR's and re-routing them. Jump one of those slants and we have a TD going the other way. Watch the double moves, especially with Braylon Edwards.

Two of the first TDs made in the first game off the Jets were off double-moves that our green DB's were not wise to- 11 games later, they are much more savvier.

Also between that game and now, a lot of self-scouting has occurred on the parts of our defense, especially after the bye. McCourty and Spikes have progressed by leaps and bounds. We had trouble with their run game then; we will not have a problem this time.

I think we are going to go all out to take away Sanchez's first read, because when you take that away, his % across the board plunges.

Sanchez will eat this soft, passive zone alive with slants to Holmes and deep seam routes to Mr. Patriot killer Dustin Keller unless we mix things up and confuse him.

We used to have CB, SS and ILB blitzes in our old BB defenses that worked great when disguised well enough, we made many big plays when these were unleashed and for some reason we don't do that anymore. Why would BB not throw these into the defensive game plan?

Bottom line is pressure, we chose to sit back in week 2 against Sanchez instead of sending more than 3-4 for basically the entire game and he ate us alive, I hope BB revisits that film and decides to disquise and bring some heat, sitting back against that Jet offense is not going to get it done.

and BB>>Rex.
You are missing MANY >s between BB adn Rex

Let's get down to it.......I am not scared of the "Sanchise" in any way. I think, at this point he is an above average QB at best, possibly headed towards "good" as his career progresses. Nothing to fear and we certainly have faced and beaten much better this year.

What does concern me a whole lot is trying to cover their passing game threats - TE's have eaten us up alive this year and Keller has always hurt us. The always not so classy, crybaby Tomlinson has to be a major worry cathing passes out fo the backfield. They have their pair of the fine, upstanding, good citizen, good role model and all aorund nice guy bookends in Holmes and Edwards. Rounding things out are Crotchery (if he is ready to go), and Brad Smith, coming off of his best game as a pro yesterday.

Our DB group seems to be getting better every week, but still prone to giving up too much yardage. Out LB's are not doing a good job in coverage at all and our pass rush has been fair/good, but nowhere near the dominating force desired.

So, beating the jests is going to come down to taking away their run game, which I am confident will be done and then making Sanchez feel uncomfortable, hence forcing mistakes.

Thoughts and analysis please?

How is Sanchez above average?
He is 22nd in passer rating,(10 points below average) 31st in completion percentage. (7% points below avg) 24th in yds per attempt (a full half yard below average)
Its crazy to me that Sanchez is being credited for below avg QB play that causes him to be in position to lose to awful teams that choke games back to him.
I will agree he isnt as bad as last year, but last year he was a liability that cost his team games against bad teams, this year he is a a liability that only comes close enough to costing his team games against bad teams unless the bad teams hand it back. That is not above average.

The key to this game couldn't be more simple: Pats force at least 2 picks and Brady takes care of the ball, they win. If not, Pats odds of winning is reduced significantly.

Honestly, not enough has been made of the fact Brady has not thrown a pick since the Ravens game. IMO this has been the #1 reason for the Pats success, along with key defensive turnovers.

If Sanchez isn't doing that stupid airplane dance down the sideline, I'd say we are in a good position.

and BB>>Rex.

The Jets are not better than the Pats in every aspect of the game. This is foolishness talking..

The way to stop the Jets offense is the same way we stopped the Pittsburgh Offense. Put pressure on the QB while keeping him in the pocket. Sanchez does his best work when he rolls out of the pocket. You keep him in it while putting pressure on him and you'll force turnovers and incomplete passes.

How is Sanchez above average?
He is 22nd in passer rating,(10 points below average) 31st in completion percentage. (7% points below avg) 24th in yds per attempt (a full half yard below average)
Its crazy to me that Sanchez is being credited for below avg QB play that causes him to be in position to lose to awful teams that choke games back to him.
I will agree he isnt as bad as last year, but last year he was a liability that cost his team games against bad teams, this year he is a a liability that only comes close enough to costing his team games against bad teams unless the bad teams hand it back. That is not above average.

I love how you just chery pick stats. No mention of his 2 to 1 td/int rate, no mention that he is in the top half in terms of yards, no mention that he has lead multiple come backs and game winning drives, and worst of all no mention that he is in his 2nd year.

Maybe he isn't above average yet, although I and most level headed people would certainly argue otherwise, but he is clealy on his way.

I love how you just chery pick stats. No mention of his 2 to 1 td/int rate, no mention that he is in the top half in terms of yards, no mention that he has lead multiple come backs and game winning drives, and worst of all no mention that he is in his 2nd year.

Maybe he isn't above average yet, although I and most level headed people would certainly argue otherwise, but he is clealy on his way.

The reason there is no mention that he is "in the top half in terms of yards" is because that is negated by a few things. First is that He, Brady, Brees, and Palmer have played in 11 games. The rest of the league has only played in 10. Sanchez is averaging only 33.1 attempts per game. That's 23rd in the league. He's also only averaging 6.8 yards per attempt. Good for 24th in the league.

So, it's easy to see how looking at just YARDS is something a HOMER would do where as, looking at the rest of it is something a level headed person would do. You clearly are the former and not the latter.

Sanchez isn't "clearly on his way" to being an above average QB unless you are living in the 1970s. The reality is that QBs who can't complete over 60% of their passes in this NFL don't last long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back