PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stop the Stallworth Talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, for everybody talking about a "legitimate deep threat" and Caldwell "benefitting from the system," I have to note, Papier Reche is fast as hell. I think he clocked sub 4.4, maybe sub 4.3, straight line speed. He showed it over the season with the Pats.

The point is, it's not that we need one from column A, one from column B, etc. etc. It's more that we have a few good guys, a few unproven who might be good, no great receivers, and no need for a great receiver. Sorry, but unless we catch one on the way up, the Pats' salary logic, and the salary logic of a "great receiver," are not in synch, from what I can tell.

Moving on to Dante, he's sort of a 1b type guy (not a proven #1 like a Harrison or a TO [sic,] but a recent breakout guy,) I don't know what he gets offered in FA. Should we make a run at him? Sure. But my gut says someone is going to pay him to be a true 1, even if Philly won't.

Beyond that in terms of deal structure, he's going to be looking for money up-front, and he's a pay-as-you-go or backloaded guy if you ask me. You pay him a big bonus, and that's paying money today for performance you might never see. That's a risk for anybody, but he's got high risk written all over him, and you can not accept that risk up-front with an injury-prone player; you mitigate it with backloaded money and incentives, if you're smart. Unfortunately, up-front money is the name of the game. Ergo, if you ask me, no Dante.

Finally - yes, yes, yes to adding Bennett if we can get him at 2 money (say, 4-5M/yr, modest bonus.) If he's looking for 8M a year? I don't know how we end up justifying it. And yes, it's too early to give up on Chad.

PFnV

Last edited:
Why add a guy at 10 yards per catch like Walker?

Stallworth is simply a good example of a player who gives us what we need - a legitimate deep threat for 35-50 catches a season. There are others like him that we could trade for or sign.

We've had these guys in the past - we could use them again. David Patten = 18 yards per catch. Tim Dwight and Andre Davis = 17.5 and 21 yards per catch.

Caldwell, Watson and Gaffney? 12 & 13 yards per catch.

That makes for a very big difference when it comes to how the defenses can stack up against us.

Joe,

it has absolutely nothing to do with Welker's or (somebody like him) receiving ability. Go back and watch '01 games to glory. Even the PR by Troy Brown in the super bowl 39. If you can draft a Devin Hester, a Wes Welker (somebody who take it to the house), you can vastly improve the team. A good PR who's the 5th/6th CB, or 5th WR can still bring vast production on ST. I love Troy (see my name), but BB will be looking at some point to get a PR. BTW, I think Faulk is too valuable as a 3rd down back to our offense, and he's getting kinda older too. Just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey