PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stop me if this has been suggested before...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGameguy

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
but is it possible that we already have the solution to our defensive backfield problems? I feel like, instead of signing a top tier or "lockdown corner", BB might instead finally use Eugene Wilson as a CB like he was drafted for.

I was looking through some old draft guides, and while I realize that those reports can be flawed, Eugene Wilson was rated as a top 5 CB coming out of college by a lot of scouts, just above Rashean Mathis, Ricky Manning, and Tillman, who have all turned into great corners.

Although I love Geno and his hard hits, he did seem to struggle last yea when Rodney was out, and Rodney wont be here forever. Maybe now is the time to switch. We could use Artrell/Tebucky or someone drafted in the other safety spot. Also, with the Buckshot back, I could def. see the old "Big Nickel" with the three safeties coming backinstead of getting another ILB.

Your thoughts?

I'd still rather have a Hobbs-Samuel-Wilson-Harrison backfield with Warfield, Gay, Hawkins, Jones, Mitchell, Sanders, both Scotts, and Poteat providing depth. IMO, there is more starting-quality players right now at CB. Mitchell and Sanders will work mainly on special teams. Jones and Hawkins will do a lot of subbing in, and Scott will fight for a roster spot.

Last edited:
DGameguy said:
but is it possible that we already have the solution to our defensive backfield problems? I feel like, instead of signing a top tier or "lockdown corner", BB might instead finally use Eugene Wilson as a CB like he was drafted for.

Your thoughts?
This gets trotted out every so often, a little more when Wilson is perceived to have a bad game or games.

If you think Wilson was having problems covering while playing free safety, why do you think the solution of to have him cover as a corner?

I think Wilson is doing jsut fine at FS, and I think there is a tremendous advantage to having a FS that can cover as well as he does, and can rotate and cover WRs and double on them. It eliminates mismatches.

Problems you think he had are often problems in scheme and personnel movement, not the problem of hte guy you see apparrently getting beaten in coverage.

spacecrime said:
This gets trotted out every so often, a little more when Wilson is perceived to have a bad game or games.

If you think Wilson was having problems covering while playing free safety, why do you think the solution of to have him cover as a corner?

I think Wilson is doing jsut fine at FS, and I think there is a tremendous advantage to having a FS that can cover as well as he does, and can rotate and cover WRs and double on them. It eliminates mismatches.

Problems you think he had are often problems in scheme and personnel movement, not the problem of hte guy you see apparrently getting beaten in coverage.

I'll say what I say everytime this comes up. With all the cornerback injuries we've had over the past two seasons, if Belichick wanted Wilson to play corner, we would have seen it by now. Instead we've seen Troy Brown, Blue Gay, Hank Poteat, and Earthwind Moreland. I think that tells me that Belichick wants Wilson for safety.

dryheat44 said:
I'll say what I say everytime this comes up. With all the cornerback injuries we've had over the past two seasons, if Belichick wanted Wilson to play corner, we would have seen it by now. Instead we've seen Troy Brown, Blue Gay, Hank Poteat, and Earthwind Moreland. I think that tells me that Belichick wants Wilson for safety.

Exactly. I've always subscribed to the school of thought that if you're going to move a player to a different position on and have him learn and continually develop at it, then it can only be a negative step back if you move him back to the original position, save a complete disaster at the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes