PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stop criticizing the Patriots' 2007 draft (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Please: enough knocking the 2007 draft

Deepest roster? I beg to differ since the New England Patriots are extremely thin at cornerback and linebacker while now down to six defensive lineman on the 53 man roster.

As for Chad Brown, he's a complete joke.

I agree completely on CB and LB, and I have a long, ignominious history of sulking because they didn't maneuver to take one of my ILB binkies (Harris and Bradley). :) But we were talking about the chances of day-2 picks making the team. The Patriots did draft 2 LBs and a CB on day 2, who would you have taken instead of those guys who would be making an impact right now?

Somehow, this actually seems to be, as the Krafts might put it, not a terrible problem to have (the newbies aren't making the team not because they're not good, but because there's simply no room for them). [The only one that really annoys me is keeping Chad Brown over Justin Rogers. I wonder if the Cowboys would still have swooped him up if it meant cutting one of their own players mid-season to do so. Then again, if the Pats had cut him at any point after the Bungles game, they would have claimed him off waivers. . . . :( ]

Last edited:

I agree completely on CB and LB, and I have a long, ignominious history of sulking because they didn't maneuver to take one of my ILB binkies (Harris and Bradley). :) But we were talking about the chances of day-2 picks making the team. The Patriots did draft 2 LBs and a CB on day 2, who would you have taken instead of those guys who would be making an impact right now?
I would rather have Justin Rogers on the roster than Chad Brown. At least Justin Rogers would contribute to special teams. As for Brandon Meriweather, former Michigan linebacker David Harris looks like a better pro prospect based upon rookie contributions. As a matter of fact, I would rather have rookies David Harris and Justin Rogers on the opening day roster than Chad Brown and Corey Mays. Chad Brown is best known for "simply overpowered on the play" while on the New England Patriots roster.

I would rather have Justin Rogers on the roster than Chad Brown. At least Justin Rogers would contribute to special teams. As for Brandon Meriweather, former Michigan linebacker David Harris looks like a better pro prospect based upon rookie contributions. As a matter of fact, I would rather have rookies David Harris and Justin Rogers on the opening day roster than Chad Brown and Corey Mays. Chad Brown is best known for "simply overpowered on the play" while on the New England Patriots roster.

I agree on Rogers vs. Brown, that's one move that looked bad at the time and hasn't gotten better since.

Day-2 "junk bonds" huh?

2000 Tom Brady 6th Round
2002 Jarvis Green 4th Round
2002 David Givens 7th Round
2003 Asante Samuel 4th Round
2003 Dan Koppen 5th Round
2005 James Sanders 4th Round

Is Givens one of the less than great receivers that TB has had to "survive" with?

Is Sanders one of the players that had to play more last year because of that nasty flu bug??

You can't trash your players in one breath, and pump them up in another.;)

Is Givens one of the less than great receivers that TB has had to "survive" with?

Is Sanders one of the players that had to play more last year because of that nasty flu bug??

You can't trash your players in one breath, and pump them up in another.;)

Sanders was actually one of those that *missed* the second half. ;)

Day-2 "junk bonds" huh?

2000 Tom Brady 6th Round

I don't think you understood the analogy. Junk Bonds are those that can have a very high yield, but can also be much more volatile than other types of bonds. They are not "junk" themselves, they are just quite a bit more hit or miss than others.

Seems like a decent comparable to me.

Deepest roster? I beg to differ since the New England Patriots are extremely thin at cornerback and linebacker while now down to six defensive lineman on the 53 man roster.

As for Chad Brown, he's a complete joke.

Sounds like you're volunteering to find one other 2007 NFL roster that's deeper. Have at it - and we'll be watching. :D

Re: Stop criticizing the Patriots' 2007 draft

Traded for Oaklands third this year (and another trash pick, I guess)

That's a high 3.

The Packers took Safety Aaron Rouse just ahead of us in round 3 of 2007. I saw him play on TG vs Detroit and that guy can flat out play.

If Samuel walks and Meriweather turns out to be a bust, the Pats will need to draft DBs extremely well in 2008.

Sounds like you're volunteering to find one other 2007 NFL roster that's deeper. Have at it - and we'll be watching. :D
No! I'm venting because the Patriots selected offensive lineman late in the 2007 NFL Draft when there was a dire need of linebackers!

At least the following linebackers could contribute to special teams unlike Chad "steamrolled" Brown:

H.B. Blades - Pittsburgh
Brandon Siler - Florida

Chad Brown in 2007 is a better outside linebacker than Justin Rodgers.

In future years Chad Brown will be home tending his snakes while Justin

continues his development. Bill is ignoring the future to put the best

possible product on the field this year. Next year, BB may have to replace

three cornerbacks and two middle linebackers with very few young options.

His options will be second tier players and rookies but I doubt he will go

with the latter.

Chad Brown in 2007 is a better outside linebacker than Justin Rodgers.
Your assignment for today is to write 1000 times on the blackboard the following phrase:

"There was no penalty on the play, the defender was simply overpowered."

It amazes me that some posters are calling for members like NSA to be BANNED for questioning the last two drafts.

That is not fair.

Your assignment for today is to write 1000 times on the blackboard the following phrase:

"There was no penalty on the play, the defender was simply overpowered."

I don't condone what BB did in keeping Chad Brown over Justin Rodgers.

I just think BB is impatient and doesn't want to wait for young linebackers

to develop. I think Rodgers has a much larger upside than Chad Brown.

Day-2 "junk bonds" huh?

2000 Tom Brady 6th Round

The Patriots had ONE 4th round pick and ONE 5th round pick, four 6th round picks, and two 7th round picks in the 2007 draft.

Go to draft history.com and view all the players selected in day two in any draft year (You could take 2007, but it is hard to evaluate talent so soon, and most players will still be on someone's roster - including ALL of the pats selections, so suggest picking a year a while back like 2003 or 2004)

With the complement of picks the patriots had, what are the odds that any one of those players would still be in the NFL? odds of being a starter?

The players you picked above are the exception to the norm.

People who b!tch about our 2007 draft are short sighted IMO. The bottom line is that they are really just p!ssed that we didn't draft the players and/or positions that they think we should have.

No! I'm venting because the Patriots selected offensive lineman late in the 2007 NFL Draft when there was a dire need of linebackers!

At least the following linebackers could contribute to special teams unlike Chad "steamrolled" Brown:

H.B. Blades - Pittsburgh
Brandon Siler - Florida

But neither of those guys were likely to surpass Justin Rodgers, and he didn't make the cut! It seems to me that Rodgers is the main questionable move; after him, it's just a question of which other names would be filling out other teams' rosters. (BTW, there were a lot of rumblings about Siler's attitude, and Blades is 5'10" -- no chance in the NE defense. Don't get me started on Stewart Bradley, though!)

When you have a great team, like this years Patriots, it is very very difficult for a rookie to make the team. I posted this last year during the draft. The Pats stowed 2 of their picks on the IR list and kept Merriweather. They also were able to move some of their picks to this coming years draft, when for whatever reason, they may very well have more holes to fill in a much better draft.

Lots of you value rookies and draft picks WAY WAY to high. Should the Pats cut better players to keep rookies who may be better in 3 or 4 years. Should they make this years team worse to keep them? That seems pretty stupid to me.

When you have a great team, like this years Patriots, it is very very difficult for a rookie to make the team. I posted this last year during the draft. The Pats stowed 2 of their picks on the IR list and kept Merriweather. They also were able to move some of their picks to this coming years draft, when for whatever reason, they may very well have more holes to fill in a much better draft.

Lots of you value rookies and draft picks WAY WAY to high. Should the Pats cut better players to keep rookies who may be better in 3 or 4 years. Should they make this years team worse to keep them? That seems pretty stupid to me.

When a rookie is judged against a veteran player, the evaluator has to
factor in is how good the rookie will be in a couple of years. Otherwise,
very few rookies would make any team. Rookies are valuable assets in salary cap management. Their relatively low salaries offset the higher
veteran salaries. The Colts are experts at drafting good young players
and signing UDFAs to offset salaries like Peyton Manning, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey