Welcome to PatsFans.com

Stop Complaining, Start Signing

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

All you guys out there who love to gripe about "PC" and silly school rules and kids being punished for nothing --- wanna do something about it?

Here's your chance.

Education Petition: JT'S CAUSE | Change.org
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think they're stupid for not letting the boys grow their hair out for a worthy cause. It would teach the kids a lesson about charity, and I think the kids would have a lot of fun growing it out and then watching everyone get it all shaved off.

Having said that, this is a private academy that can set the rules however they want. I'm not comfortable telling a private academy which I have no stake in (meaning I don't pay any tuition there) how to run their show - and I don't like someone trying to frame this as a matter of "rights and freedoms." When you attend a private anything, you are subjecting yourself to their rules.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

I have no gripe against Long Hair, I used to have it, my wife said I resembled Jesus Christ I had the goatee also.

Wolfpack is right that is a Private school if you don't want to abide by their rules go elsewhere, while I'm on it this also goes for private business they should be allowed to hire, fire, whoever they please, the same goes for Private Social Clubs.

PRIVATE MEANS PRIVATE IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEIR RULES DON'T GO THERE.

FREE DEMOCRATIC AMERICA THATS WHAT MAKES THIS COUNTRY GREAT.

GOD WILLING
  4. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I have to agree with Wolf.

It certainly sucks that they won't allow him to do it. It's an example of the human spirit that should be celebrated and presented to others as a worthy example to follow (kids or adults).

That being said if this academy is truly a private institution they have, and should have in my opinion, the ability to enforce things like a dress code.

The "good" thing to do would to allow it for what the gesture stands for/represents, but that just my opinion, it's their "rules"
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Obviously I'm missing something.

Where are you guys getting that this is a private school?

According to everything I've read, Madison Academy is billed as a full-time, tuition-free public charter school.

High Schools in Madison Academy - Flint, MI | GreatSchools

Madison Academy
  6. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Very interesting Mrs... I have not heard of anything like this before. Do charter schools have a special designations which allow them certain provisions such as setting a dress code which includes hair? I did read through the student handbook and there was quite an extensive rules section, above and beyond seemingly "public" school rules

I'll be honest I read academy and thought private school.
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Not to my knowledge, but I can't swear by it. I would think that as long as it identifies as a "public" school and there is no tuition that it would have to follow some sort of federal guideline.

Public school can have dress codes and the like, but I think, because sex discrimination is federally forbidden that the rules for girls and boys should be the same.

Hair length, I don't know, though.

In this instance I would think they could (and should) change the rule. Kids should be encouraged to do good things - and this is a good thing.

I actually went to a public high school for a year and it had the word "Academy" in it's name so it didn't even phase me when I read it.
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Charter schools are generally run by private entities and are allowed to set dress codes and behavior rules the same as private school. Yes they are supported by public funds, but they are still schools where you must apply to get in (or entrants are determined by lotteries), you have to follow codes of conduct, etc.

I gladly admit I was mistaken in calling it a private school but, being that nobody is forced to go to a charter school, the same logic applies.
  9. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -1

I just wonder what they are afraid will happen? Do they think that if a boy grows his hair long then he will magically become gay?
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Public schools cannot have dress codes beyond obvious, common sense things like nothing vulgar, nothing that promotes violence, etc. Anytime some public school tries to enact some sort of dress code, you ACLU types smack them so hard they don't know what him 'em.

Charter schools, like private schools, can pretty much do whatever they want - including uniforms.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

Some public schools require students to wear uniforms....
  12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Private, public, charter, what does it matter? If you believe it's a worthy cause why would you be uncomfortable with signing a petition urging them to amend their policy? No one is attempting to pull the rug out from under them. The worst that could happen is they say "no". I think it's worth the shot.
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Because they'd far prefer to gripe and moan and start countless threads and make countless posts about how terrible it is, how unamerican it is, how "PC" is it that public schools (and this IS a public school, make no bones about it) are imposing food rules and game rules and conduct rules and appearance rules on American children who ought to, damn it, be allowed to hit one another with dodge balls at recess, play with toy guns, eat 2 pounds of sugar, wear a crucifix around their neck and sing Christmas carols whenever and where ever they want to than to actually take 32 seconds to click a link, sign their name and give their address when they actually have a real opportunity to put their money where their mouth is and possibly make a difference.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Publicly-funded academies claim they use dress codes to remove economic stigma, fashion competition, distraction and jealousies- all of which I agree with. When it becomes about "conformity and uniformity", I am opposed to it. That is nothing more than programming and controlling the ability of kids to express themselves and has nothing to do with academics and growth. Regardless of who is managing the school. it is funded with taxpayer money. Just because some (possibly well-meaning but fascist) administrators have decided to enact a stupid rule regarding boys hair length does not give it any validity and has nothing to do with legitimate purposes for a dress code.

That kid with the hair on the collar and over the ears is Bill Gates.[​IMG]
  15. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

That's some sweet hockey hair!!!

In all seriousness the school should have viewed this instance for what it is and should permit an exception accordingly. From a PR standpoint this was a story I think most schools would jump at the chance to have.

I still dont understand how a publicly funded school can dictate a dress code; beyond the usual offensive, NSFS (not safe for school) items on clothing/personal appearance.

:confused:
  16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +549 / 2 / -9

Liberals have always wanted to allow "The Nuts" to run "The Nut House"
  17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

So you believe it's a "liberal policy" which promotes dress codes and hair length codes?
  18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Could you give an example please?
  19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Because I don't have a horse in the race. I don't like telling private entities how to run their affairs when I have no connection to them.
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +267 / 10 / -26

A lot of them do.. hard to believe, but one system is right under your nose...

Public School Uniform Statistics - Education Bug