Welcome to PatsFans.com

Stop annoying me!!!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by sdaniels7114, Jun 25, 2007.

1. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its a million time better to break up a person's post and respond outside the quoted areas than it is to put your own words, even if bolded, into a quote that's attributed to someone else. Lets say you wanted to end up with something like this:

something that agrees or disagrees with the above here
    more something
    and even more something
    and one last something here.

The correct/non annoying way to do this is to
    1) hit the qoute button rather than the respond button. Everyone seems to have figured this out, but the next part is tricky so PAY ATTENTION.

2) Look at what the software gives you. You'll notice that you get the post to be quoted surrounded by things called quote tags. One at the beginning that will look like this:

[QUOT=PatsFanInVa;452674]

I changed the spelling of quote to quot so you could see what the tag looks like. That's right, you don't HAVE to hit the quote button to quote someone. You just have to use the proper code.

You also have one at the end that looks like this:

[/QUOT]

Same thing with the spelling. You don't have to remember or even type that code. Copy/Paste is your friend here. Just Copy the beginning tag and the end tag and paste them wherever you want to 'cut in' so to speak and write whatever you want in between. If you do it right, the quoted post and your words will end up looking something like this in the reply window:

[QUOT=PatsFanInVa;452674]By the way, if this needs to go to Religion, I am okay with that.[/QUOT]
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [/QUOT]
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    I figured we're pretty much still not straying from the history/politic of religion.
    [/QUOT]
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

really a good point...

editing someone's quote, maliciously or innocently, alters the thread's integrity... let's just all agree to not do it... would be best, and avoid confusion at least...
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +443 / 5 / -2

I think people do it because it's quicker. Most people are at work when they reply. I usually am.
  4. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I couldn't agree more with your post. ;)
  5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its not really quicker. The Bold tags go in the exact same spots the quote tags should go. Its just a matter of using the right type of tag.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

[QUOT=PatsFanInVa;452674]By the way, if this needs to go to Religion, I am okay with that.[/QUOT]
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    [/QUOT]
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    I figured we're pretty much still not straying from the history/politic of religion.
    [/QUOT]
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Religion and politics is one. The first is overt, the second is covert.

Keep it real.

//
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

no it isn't one.... keep it real...
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Everybody's religious views, pro, con, or indifferent, come out in their politics. Always. Not even debatable.

Extreme examples: Hitler was anti-religious, and it was reflected in his attacks against his neighbors, all in the name of the "new master race".

Stalin laughed at religion: "How many divisions does the Pope have?" he sneered.

Clinton carried a one-ton Bible but left it in on his desk at home; and it showed.

Bush 43 carries a big Bible around, and reads it at home, sometimes misses a page or three; and it shows.

Etc., etc.

//