Welcome to PatsFans.com

STING: "I want BIG government!"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DisgruntledTunaFan, Apr 26, 2010.

1. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Just out of curiousity, do you ever actually read anything or do you rely almost solely on vidiot?
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +380 / 3 / -15

Sting isn't even a real American, so who cares what he thinks. The guy is from Europe, so it figures. The only thing that matters is what mainstream Americans want.
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Did String say he was a "real American?" Did he even say he was a fake American? I don't think Sting has ever portrayed himself as anything but what he is.

Sometimes people DO care what people from other countries think - even Americans, hard as that may be to believe.

Sting wasn't taking about BIG AMERICAN GOVERNMENT anyhow. He was talking about all governments of all nations.

Some of mainstream America agrees with him.
  6. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +380 / 3 / -15

yappity, yap, yap....:singing::singing:
  7. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

And I don't want BIG government. Unfortunately for Sting (or maybe myself), I'm about as qualified as he is to get up on a stage with a microphone attached to my person and give my political opinion...
  8. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Who cares what a wrestler has to say, why don't we ask Hulk Hogan what he thinks of immigration.:cool:

[​IMG]
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Actually, you won't be about "as qualified" as Sting until you've spent 21 years, raised $25,000,000.00 and seen 85% of that 25 million go to projects for native land rights and forest preservation.

Then you get the microphone.
  10. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

So all of the sudden Sting is a political science major because he had a successful singing career (if you can even call it that) and can get the attention of a greater portion of the world than I can? Interesting logic.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +519 / 6 / -2

Typical Hollywood moonbats. Do as I say, not as I do. Of course they want Big Government. They themselves won't personally make the necessary sacrafices they preach, so they want the gubmit to impose those sacrafices on everyone else for them. Plus, what do they care about the costs associated with gubmit mandates, and oppressive regulation. They're zillionaires with 7 houses to shuttle between. Oh, and those eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil businesses need to be more responsible, while Sting parades an entourage of 750 people around the world, for his tour. Yet when asked about it, this dimented duo says "He has a 750-person crew to bring around the world and it is a difficult challenge." Riiiiight. For him, it's ok to act selfishly in order to maximize profit. Afterall,it's a difficult challenge. For everyone else though....:rolleyes:

Read more: 'It's true - we're hypocrites over our huge carbon footprint,' confesses Sting's wife | Mail Online

'It's true - we're hypocrites over our huge carbon footprint,' confesses Sting's wife

By SIMON CABLE
    Last updated at 23:00 25 April 2008

Their claim to be eco-warriors has been met with cynicism in recent times.
    Sting, for instance, notched up an incredible number of air miles with his band's world tour. And it was revealed that his wife Trudie Styler travels between their seven homes in private jets or their fleet of cars, as well as importing farm produce hundreds of miles.
    Now the celebrity couple have been forced to admit that their record is less than clean. Miss Styler, 53, was challenged on the issue when extolling the benefits of organic and locally-grown food.
    Scroll down for more...

Jet setters: Sting and wife Trudie Styler have been criticised over the amount of travel they make between their seven homes

The interview at the Earls Court Real Food Festival had been going well, until one journalist pointed out that the couple's carbon footprint has been estimated as 30 times greater than the average Briton's.

Read more: 'It's true - we're hypocrites over our huge carbon footprint,' confesses Sting's wife | Mail Online

Eco-warrior Trudie prefers helicopter to an 80-mile train ride

Last updated at 13:37pm on 15.03.07
    Add your view

Trudie Styler: One rule for her, and another for the rest of us
    It's one rule for them, and another for the rest of us.

Trudie Styler, wife of Sting and self-styled eco-warrior, recently took a helicopter to travel 80 miles from Wiltshire to Devon, a journey that would have taken less than two hours by train.
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,046 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Here Ya Go Sting ... You Bloke.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

No, that's not what I said at all. What part of

Actually, you won't be about "as qualified" as Sting until you've spent 21 years, raised $25,000,000.00 and seen 85% of that 25 million go to projects for native land rights and forest preservation.

are you having trouble understanding? It has nothing to do with his singing career and everything to do with The RainForest Foundation Fund.

Rainforest Foundation Fund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  14. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

You've got to be kidding me with this. Let me just start by saying that I agree with the particular fund that he's raised money for. There is nothing wrong with protecting the environment. However, Sting is only able to raise that amount of money for them because of his status of a celebrity. Therefore, stating that I can only be "as qualified" as Sting is until I raise that amount of money is thoroughly illogical. I'm a normal everyday Joe who couldn't get even a quarter of the attention that Sting does for whatever charity even if I tried. Furthermore, how does raising millions of dollars for a charity make Sting qualified to talk about the state of the U.S. government and, even worse, what type of government would be better for Americans?
  15. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You lose right away when you attack the person and leave the idea alone. Who cares where Sting gets his mail delivered and who cares that he's paid more taxes and generated more economic activity here in the USA than all of us combined x 1000. Neither are important.
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Did you even listen to the video????? He says absolutely NOTHING about the American government in specific - in fact, when questioned, he says, "ALL BIG GOVERNMENTS." I presume he was talking about his own government - as well as the governments in ALL nations.

Maybe you better go listen again. Sting distinctly says, "only GOVERNMENTS can solve it" and then goes on to repeat it again a few seconds later, "only BIG GOVERNMENTS can do what the little people, the individual, cannot do." Trudie then speaks of her experience speaking to a gathering of UN members earlier this year before the talks in Copenhagen and she distinctly says, "We were crushed when not one government leader who came forth and spoke up," and then says " we need global accord between all nations."

Not American government - ALL GOVERNMENTS. With an "S." "S" means plural - more than one.

Got that? When there's a "S" at the end of a word it means multiple.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  17. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +556 / 7 / -9

1. We seem wrapped around the axle about whether Sting is qualified to comment on the environment.

2. Ronald Reagan, a professional actor, never had any business running California in the 60s, nor America in the 80s. Yet he did.

3. Charlton Heston, another actor, spoke far and wide on his pro-gun views for years.

4. In 08 this forum was all psyched that an "every day hockey-mom" was the purest distillation of "common sense" in politics.

5. Shortly thereafter this forum was full of ballwashers for Joe [sic] the Plumber [sic]. I am fairly certain he's a few steps away from his PhD.

6. What Sting, like Charleston Heston, does have, is a marketable name. Marketable names get to say stuff about issues. That's life. Tim Tebow's views on abortion are also unimportant. Yet there they are.

7. As to the notion that the only thing that matters is what "mainstream Americans think", we have two obvious problems:

a) 95% of the world is not American, and the impact of global climate issues, as you may guess, affects them even though they are not American, and

b) The statement begs the question as to what the "American mainstream" thinks.

Carry on.

PFnV
  18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +380 / 3 / -15

The thing Sting isn't qualified to comment upon is the very subject of this thread which is NOT the environment...it's big gov't.

Who cares what a billionaire, psuedo-American says he wants?

What matters is what the average Jane & Joe want...i.e. Real Mainstream Americans who determine the outcome of elections.
  19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +562 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

But the very point of the interview wasn't about big government - it was about the environment. Government, big or little, was a tangent as a means to the end. Sting was simply stating that if there was any hope for getting laws passed which protect the environment it would have to come from the global governments. It had nothing to do with Americans in specific, either.
  20. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,829 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Well, I wasn't able to watch the video yesterday due to the fact that I was in the library for most of the day and did not have earbuds to plug into my notebook to listen to it. I was finally able to watch it today. First off, if I didn't know any better I would say that Sting is on some sort of upper. Second, you seem to be dodging things here. You're right. Sting doesn't say anything about big government in America. However, he does go ahead and make a point about how he believes that big governments everywhere would be better for his cause when it comes to the rainforest and the rights of the indigenous people living there. So, one can logically deduce that Sting believes that big government is better, not only for the people of the rainforest, but for people all over the world. This includes America. So now, I pose this question to you again...

How does raising millions of dollars for a charity make Sting qualified to talk about the state of any government around the world?