Welcome to PatsFans.com

Stimulus package #2?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 4 / -2

I guess one wasn't enough.

Democrats plan second economic stimulus bill

By ANDREW TAYLOR – 1 hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Democrats controlling Congress ratcheted up expectations Tuesday for additional legislation to jump-start the dragging economy.

"We will be proceeding with another stimulus package," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said after meeting with several economists.

Pelosi said that recently issued tax rebate payments of $600 to individuals and $1,200 for married couples have helped the economy but that more is necessary to offset the drag of higher gasoline prices and other costs.

But President Bush cautioned in a White House press conference that lawmakers should "wait for the stimulus package to fully kick in" before passing another.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h4X0Kd0q9P-rs69BExJDl-B0sgXgD91UHBD00
  2. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

they should do what they did in iraq and throw money on the streets.

but seriously, throwing more money back to the people by simply printing it out of nowhere waters down the existing currency and only increases the debt.

the economy will slightly bounce back with a new president but if they truly want to bounce back we need legit alternative sources like cheap solar panels and cheap wind power you can mount right on your house yourself.
  3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Oh good first one stupid stimulus pkg then another stupid stimulus pkg, where are the hearings on getting an energy policy that is realistic in place?
  4. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Somebody stop Pelosi from saying another word about more economic stimuli, please.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Oh I forgot Pelosi is talking about lletting Kucinich intor his impeachment bill. That will help the economy...
  6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

I know enough about economics to understand some simple concepts and a few more complicated cause & effect no-no's.

One big rule is that you do NOT pump more money into an economy to raise the money supply when inflation exists. Low interest rates that have existed for 7-8 years combined with humongous deficit spending spells INFLATION.

Here's a boring suggestion, but google the effects of long-term deficit spending and you'll find inflation will result.

I guess some experts are forgetting that inflation started even before oil sky-rocketed...we would have increasing inflation even if oil had never risen. Throwing more money into the economy can't help long-term.

I think our politicians believe that because no one knows what the long-term solutions are, they feel short-term solutions will keep the masses quiet.

In all honesty, this is just plain stupid.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  7. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I hear ya. The printing presses will be working twice as hard printing all that money.

There are just too many factors at play here:

-Yearly unbalanced budget(Overspending by govt like it's monopoly money)
    -Outsourcing of jobs to countries that violate workers rights for cheap or slave labor
    -Gasoline
    -Home Heating Oil
    -Credit and Mortgage Crisis(Interest Rates unregulated)
    -Our entitled, complacent and greedy society to a certain extent
    -Iraq War
    -Iran as a looming problem
    -Our role as the dominant policing force in the world that costs billions to sustain all the foreign military bases
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

Again, I'm not an economics expert, although I do play one at work:D, but wouldn't it make sense to start reeling in our out of control spending? Is it just me or shouldn't we be convening emergency meetings to address this runaway train?
  9. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

where do you start? you need strong leadership who doesn't care if they ruffle feathers and is free of lobbyists and corporate interests.

when we get that leadership is another question.
  10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +188 / 3 / -10

Maybe it's time "we the people" took control and start making demands. It wouldn't be difficult to get business leaders involved in responsible gov. spending...imo
  11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Holy sh!t batman ... I agree ... :yeahthat: