PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still worried about a 3 WR, and now depth at RB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
With Morris hurt again, I think the depth at RB is a issuie, glad we kept 5 RB... The WR though still not happy with Aiken, who to me is a special team player than a third wr... Eldeman still is a work in progress, but glad with his progress so far...

Maroney lovers and haters will have there say the next few weeks, since it looks like its Maroney or bust in the RB dept...

I'm not too worried about RB. First, Taylor will be back at some point - and we don't know the extent of Morris' injury yet either. Plus, Maroney looked great yesterday.

As for 3WR, I agree - Aiken is not cutting it. Galloway needs to find a way onto the field, but its hard to find a position to take another inactive from.

tateb_2008mug.jpg

Come on down buddy.. come on down.

We are fine at receiver and at running back.

RECEIVERS
A) Edelman is our #3 receiver. He played alot with the first team in Training Camp. He beat out Lewis for a roster spot. He missed some practice time and some development when he was injured. He will likely catch as many passes this year as Gaffney did last year. He is fine in his role. Besides we have tight ends who can stretch the field.
B) Aiken is the #4 wide receiver, as he was last year. Brady and Belichick have confidence in him in that role. He beat out Washington in the receiver depth chart last year and is an OK #4 receiver. There is no reason to expect better. The #4 wideout doesn't get much work. Aiken has another job (special teams) and is fine as an occasional receiver.
C) Our inactive #5 is either on the PUP list or the Practice Squad, depending on whether you fancy Nunn or Tate. Also, Slater has been counted as a receiver in some past rosters. There is no real need for a #5 (or even a #4) other than in case of injury. We have lots of other receivers on the team, in addition to wideouts.
D) Faulk is a great receiver. Maroney, Taylor and Morris are all good receivers; all had catches yesterday. Baker and Watson are also good receivers.
E) BOTTOM LINE - Galloway will be playing for someone else by week's end. Galloway has already been replaced on the roster. Belichick is considering his options for another receiver, although there is no need to rush. After all, Tate or Nunn would not be upgrades. Tate COULD be an upgrade at returner.

RUNNING BACKS
F) We need two running backs for our game plans. We need a primary, starting, running back and we need a 3rd down running back. Those players are named Maroney and Faulk. They did fine yesterday. Maroney has averaged over 4.4 yards per carry in his career whenever he gets the ball 20 or more times.
G) There is no need for a 3rd running back unless there is an injury or for a specific role like short yardage or blocker. If we have a third running back that can be trusted not to make major mistakes, then we can use that running back as a change of pace for Maroney and for garbage time. We have Green-Ellis. I would be more comfortable with him as our #3 if he were either a solid blocker or a dependable short yardage back. But, he certainly is an adequate backup in case of further injuries, and is useful as a change of pase and to give Maroney a rest for a series.
H) We have two of our top running backs who will hopefully have fresh legs for the playoffs.
I) BOTTOM LINE - We are just fine at running back. Belichick kept five running backs instead of three (not counting fullbacks) because the patriots have been burned with running back injuries in the past. We still have the three that we usually have to start the season.

RB we are fine thanks to our depth. You had to assume Morris and Taylor were going to miss time that's why BJGE made this roster in the first place. If Maroney gets hurt then it's time to start worrying. But even then we are OKAY with Faulk/BJGE.

WR3 I agree with you that could be trouble, Watson is going to be crucial this season.

Watson's 3 TD's have already been crucial. But, we shouldn't exagerrate. I don't think he had a catch yesterday and Brady did fine finding other receivers.

RB we are fine thanks to our depth. You had to assume Morris and Taylor were going to miss time that's why BJGE made this roster in the first place. If Maroney gets hurt then it's time to start worrying. But even then we are OKAY with Faulk/BJGE.

WR3 I agree with you that could be trouble, Watson is going to be crucial this season.

The way to stop the Pats is to shut down Moss, control Welker, and control the running game.

Not easy, but also not as impossible as I'd like.

So yes, I'd like to see more good receiving options, as well as enough RB health that Faulk could be used more in a receiving role if need beed.

The rules of the game limit the number of receiving threats on the field at the same time. IMHO, we are more than fine with Moss, Welker, Edelman, Faulk, Maroney, Watson and Baker. That doesn't even count Aiken and Matthews who will not have many receptions BECAUSE of the solid group in front of them. And, of course, this list doesn't count Taylor, Morris and Tate.

Even our 5 receiver set usually included Faulk and Watson in the past.

The way to stop the Pats is to shut down Moss, control Welker, and control the running game.

Not easy, but also not as impossible as I'd like.

So yes, I'd like to see more good receiving options, as well as enough RB health that Faulk could be used more in a receiving role if need beed.

Last edited:
Would be nice to pull off a trade for Rams RB Steven Jackson. Its been rumored that they were possibly shopping him.

When Morris went down yesterday, we found out why BB

kept 5 running backs.

We don't even know if Morris will miss a single game yet. I wouldn't be surprised if he sits out the next game even if it is a very minor injury (hey it is Tampa and it is in England and the following week is a bye), but I don't know if we know if it is nearly as serious as it might have looked yesterday.

What's going on with Mr. NunN

Wait a second....

You're saying to beat team X, you have to "shut down" one of team X's top receiver, control their other top receiver, and control their running game...

How many teams in the league could win if you shut down/controlled their top two receivers as well as the running game?

G) There is no need for a 3rd running back unless there is an injury or for a specific role like short yardage or blocker. If we have a third running back that can be trusted not to make major mistakes, then we can use that running back as a change of pace for Maroney and for garbage time. We have Green-Ellis. I would be more comfortable with him as our #3 if he were either a solid blocker or a dependable short yardage back. But, he certainly is an adequate backup in case of further injuries, and is useful as a change of pase and to give Maroney a rest for a series.
H) We have two of our top running backs who will hopefully have fresh legs for the playoffs.
I) BOTTOM LINE - We are just fine at running back. Belichick kept five running backs instead of three (not counting fullbacks) because the patriots have been burned with running back injuries in the past. We still have the three that we usually have to start the season.

Green-Ellis was more than fine yesterday. He picked up all his blocking assignments, only had one dropped pass (and that throw was high) and carried out that key flea-flicker real well by selling it hard and getting the safety to bite low.

I don't see us doing anything. We have 3 RB's now and I see us sticking with that now. Taylor hasn't gone on IR anyway.

Watson's 3 TD's have already been crucial. But, we shouldn't exagerrate. I don't think he had a catch yesterday and Brady did fine finding other receivers.

This was against the Titans. I'm not sure if that offsets the second half against Denver. The NYJ game I'm not counting only because Welker didn't play. I loved yesterday's performance but it doesn't mean the offense is fine just yet. Somebody needs to step up as the 3rd option in certain clutch times the way Gaffney did.

Watson did not see much playing time, if any, yesterday presumably because they are taking it easy with him per the concussion.

Watson did not see much playing time, if any, yesterday presumably because they are taking it easy with him per the concussion.

Brady mentioned that the TD to Moss across the back of the EZ was originally supposed to go for Watson.

As for #3's, just a thought, but what about Steve Smith? I think he's feeling underused in Carolina anyway and by no means does he suck.

I'm more inclined to think of Tate and/or Nunn, but we have them safely stashed away, right to next year if need be.

bring back troy brown :p

Valid concerns, as Maroney and Morris get nicked easily, and we've already lost Morris.

Law Firm looks rugged to me though. We "should" be O.K., but it's a valid concern.

As for the pass catchers, we will be more than O.K. with Baker, Watson, Edelman, Welker, and Moss. However, I still expect the Pats to quitely add Nunn to the mix before one of the big games (Phins, Colts, or Jets). Probably don't need him for TB, but I could see something go down right before one of those big games.

I don't know this of course, but it's a gut feel. We're fine doing nothing, but can you imagine if we had a true #3 like Nunn blossom? To me, Welker and Edleman are two dynamic slot receivers, but a #3 to go long/medium would be something else.

Summary: We'll be fine, but I GET your concerns.

bring back troy brown :p

In all seriousness, if he still has any jets, Deion Branch would be outstanding in this offense opposite Moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes