PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still Tied with the Skankees

Tyler Faith

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
When are we gonna stop playin' games here and just push these bastid's down to the bottom of the division where they belong????:confused:

Probably not 'till next year. Getting rid of Arroyo for a guy who was clearly not ready for the big leagues (Willy Mo Pena) was a sure sign that the Sox are thinking a bit more about, 07,08 and 09 than they are about this year. Same thing with the Damon non-signing. That's not to say they won't finish first, or that I'm against what they've been doing. I'm just saying that they aren't tossing the future out to max out their chances to win this year. There's a certain Patriot-like balance between the present and the future now.

Clement not pitching like a girly man might help too though. and Clemens deciding to keep hiding in Houston wasn't real helpful towards the teams' chances this year.

sdaniels7114 said:
Probably not 'till next year. Getting rid of Arroyo for a guy who was clearly not ready for the big leagues (Willy Mo Pena) was a sure sign that the Sox are thinking a bit more about, 07,08 and 09 than they are about this year.
Amen. I am getting into huge arguments over on the usenet about how boneheaded a move this was because of their very fragile rotation - unless you just come out and say 2006 is a rebuilding year (which is a ridiculous contention IMHO) and despite what some others say, I was of this opinion the day they made the trade and I am not just acting with 20/20 hindsight.

Basically the ONLY way this trade looks good is if ALL of the following happened:

1) Schilling stays healthy
2) Beckett stays healthy
3) Wells stays healthy
4) Clement pitches more like the 1st half of last year than the 2nd half

2 of those 4 criteria have not happened. I sure would rather have Arroyo starting instead of Clement, DiNardo or that Pauley guy.

sdaniels7114 said:
Probably not 'till next year. Getting rid of Arroyo for a guy who was clearly not ready for the big leagues (Willy Mo Pena)
Are you kidding? .321/.370/.482 isn't ready for the big leagues? Wily Mo was great while Coco was out. We wouldn't be in first without him (and we are a half game up).

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny Mac said:
Are you kidding? .321/.370/.482 isn't ready for the big leagues? Wily Mo was great while Coco was out. We wouldn't be in first without him (and we are a half game up).
Sure we would - in fact we'd be better if we had Arroyo starting a few of those debacles that were DiNardo or Clement starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
the wily mo trade was a huge mistake .you never have enough pitching never .

QuiGon said:
Sure we would - in fact we'd be better if we had Arroyo starting a few of those debacles that were DiNardo or Clement starts.
I think you're severely underestimating the offensive dropoff from Wily Mo to Willie Harris. Arroyo would not have started over Clement at this point, so his results don't matter. We've won 3 of DiNardo's starts, and lost 4. And we won on David Pauley's start. So that's .500 in games Arroyo would've started. I wouldn't have expected much different had Bronson been here, possibly worse with the aforementioned Harris playing.

there hasnt been any offensive drop off.the pitching from clement and the five hole has sucked and the offense has covered the pitching in several games that you mentioned .nobody in the five hole has come close to what bronson would have given the team .harris isnt starting anymore coco is.

Last edited:
Arroyo in the American league or the Red Sox doesn't guarantee you any wins over the guys that filled in. THe National league is ridiculously under talented, so you can't just bring Bronson's win total over the the Red Sox and say that's how many wins you've lost.

BradyisGod said:
Arroyo in the American league or the Red Sox doesn't guarantee you any wins over the guys that filled in. THe National league is ridiculously under talented, so you can't just bring Bronson's win total over the the Red Sox and say that's how many wins you've lost.
i agree but thats not what i said.arroyo is better than any number five we have now and hes better than clement .thats all you need to know.who knows how many wins he would have but the rotation would be in better shape than it is now.

patriotspride said:
i agree but thats not what i said.arroyo is better than any number five we have now and hes better than clement .thats all you need to know.who knows how many wins he would have but the rotation would be in better shape than it is now.
It wasn't a comment directed at your post. Just a general statement. I think I would be happier with Arroyo as well. But Willy Mo has certainly been impressive, especially in how coachable he seems to be. He was labeled as a free swinger, and he seems to have curtailed that quite a bit.

Finally we beat these bastids!! I think I pulled every hair out of my head the last few days!

Tyler Faith said:
Finally we beat these bastids!! I think I pulled every hair out of my head the last few days!

It sure was nice to watch E-Rod strike out to end the game! Watching him screw up is my favorite.

BradyisGod said:
It wasn't a comment directed at your post. Just a general statement. I think I would be happier with Arroyo as well. But Willy Mo has certainly been impressive, especially in how coachable he seems to be. He was labeled as a free swinger, and he seems to have curtailed that quite a bit.
Wily Mo has been impressive (until the injury), but Arroyo has been Cy Young caliber.

Ok things are starting to come around now. The Liza Minnelli version of New York, New York sure is getting a lot of airtime down in the Bronx of late:D

" I could fill a hundred ditches with those Yankee sons of *****es and still not care..
Mama's in the jailhouse and little sister suzy's there...just because we support them and Frank went off and fought them..."

A favorite line from the Legend of Jesse James, sung by Levon Helm.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back