PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still Think Maroney, Pees have to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: (Title Change) Still Think Maroney, Pees have to go?

In the 1st half, Maroney was dancing up a storm. Had a couple nice runs after the break. On D, saw alot of open WRs, except on their 1 TD...funny how that works. Saw some blown coverages on the RBs out of the backfield. The Pats were lucky they played against a JV QB

There's no question that the past two games have been against the kind of opponent good teams are supposed to crush. On the other hand, they did crush them. (And if nobody notice, BJGE rushed 7 times for an 0.9 YPC average yesterday.)

Re: Maroney, Pees have to go

Not to be a debby downer but the last 2 weeks we played the ....

3742815906_8ba6ffc2e7.jpg

I would love to see the same style of play when we go on the road for the next two trips out of town to where the big boys play.

Bingo.

Let's see this happen against two teams that AREN'T a combined 0-12 and then we might have something.

There's no question that the past two games have been against the kind of opponent good teams are supposed to crush. On the other hand, they did crush them. (And if nobody notice, BJGE rushed 7 times for an 0.9 YPC average yesterday.)

Maroney's fault.

th_thcoffee.gif

I thought we had all agreed that Pees should be fired if the defense allows anything more than a half a point per game. :confused:

You have it all wrong.

"If the Patriots don't WIN the Super Bowl THIS year, it's all because of the Seymour trade".

C'mon, get with the program!

Last edited:

BTW, regarding Pees, the last two games have featured much much more blitzing and attack D than before. Instead of "read and react" we've been treated to "Let the other react to THIS".

If anything, it has ADVANCED the argument against the zone coverage - lay back and react defensive stratgeies of the early season and past year.

If anything, it has ADVANCED the argument against the zone coverage - lay back and react defensive stratgeies of the early season and past year.

Zone doesn't mean lay back and react. Both picks by Meriweather were on zones where he jumped the route.

Pees called the last two games from the press box. Let's see if this improvement continues.

You have it all wrong.

"If the Patriots don't WIN the Super Bowl THIS year, it's all because of the Seymour trade".

C'mon, get with the program!

Sorry, but I have to blame Pees for everything. It's just in my nature as a Pats fan. For instance, my tire went flat yesterday. I was insenced! Heads needed to roll! I called up WEEI, told them about my quandry, and demanded the firing of Dean Pees.

Pees called the last two games from the press box. Let's see if this improvement continues.

I'm hanging my hat for now on that being the difference. If it works, go with it!

BTW, regarding Pees, the last two games have featured much much more blitzing and attack D than before. Instead of "read and react" we've been treated to "Let the other react to THIS".

:confused:

I'd say that if there's one thing we're seeing, it's a reminder of the impact that safety play can have on a team. Meriweather's emergence has made the safety as good as it's been since Rodney and Eugene were both healthy and patrolling the Defensive backfield, and we're seeing how much that can help shore up weaknesses elsewhere.

Last edited:

It wasn't like the D was god-awful prior to the last two weeks.

IMO it's a perfect storm of jelling, playing crappy teams and good gamplanning.

Do people think BB is calling the defensive signals/gameplanning/making the 1/2 time adjustments?

Last edited:

BJGE is averaging 5.2ypc during the two game span. I thought Maroney and BJGE played pretty bad yesterday IMO. The stats from the Titans are skewing the runningame alot.

Maroney was fine yesterday. Not great, but not bad. BJGE didn't play very well, although a couple of the negative carries weren't really his fault. He doesn't really break tackles or elude people though, so he's pretty much going to be as good or as bad as his blocking makes him, with very few exceptions.

Again I think Tampa's run defense was also very good, and as I've said I think that's probably the best defense out of all the "bad teams" that I've watched all season. They're simply a team in dire need of putting an offense together that can move the football. Otherwise the guys on the other side are forced to go out every week in a futile effort and get no help. I'd hate to be in that locker room every week, I'm guessing there's got to be plenty of frustration in there.

They've also faced crappy offenses with crappy QB. I don't think you'll be seeing as much risk taking on defense when we face Manning and Brees who can make us pay a lot more than the likes of Josh Johnson.

I remain unhappy and un-convinced about Maroney. I'm no longer waiting for him to 'improve'. Sub-50 plus a 1yd TD is nothing to crow about. That said he has been better against the recent two teams (poop teams regardless) and should continue as the number one ........... for now. Earn your keep every game, no excuses anymore.

Pees can manage a/the game. I think BB is solely responsible for the teams defensive competence.

Again I think Tampa's run defense was also very good, and as I've said I think that's probably the best defense out of all the "bad teams" that I've watched all season. They're simply a team in dire need of putting an offense together that can move the football. Otherwise the guys on the other side are forced to go out every week in a futile effort and get no help. I'd hate to be in that locker room every week, I'm guessing there's got to be plenty of frustration in there.

I made the point in the gamethread that for all of the complaining some were doing about the offense we still put up the most points that Tampa has given up all season without playing Brady for part of the 4th and Tampa has played a few good offenses in Dallas, NYG, and Philly

I am surprised that Maroney supporters so regularly reference the Titans game. For starters, between the Titans starter and the Patriots two main backs, Maroney had the lowest YPG out of the 3.

Is this going to be like last pre-season when people here were predicting that Dave Thomas was going to go for 80 and 800 and CJack was going for 1000. Or when Richardson was going to be lined up side by side with Hobbs for the next 3 years.

Admittedly, exaggeration goes both ways. People overstate how bad players are but supporters also overstate how good players are.

Lets be tempered here on Maroney. Can someone project how many carries he would have gotten if Fred Taylor and/or Sammy Morris had played? I'll say he'd still be the 3rd option and he'd have 4 carries.

Last edited:

I am surprised that Maroney supporters so regularly reference the Titans game. For starters, between the Titans starter and the Patriots two main backs, Maroney had the lowest YPG out of the 3.

Is this going to be like last pre-season when people here were predicting that Dave Thomas was going to go for 80 and 800 and CJack was going for 1000. Or when Richardson was going to be lined up side by side with Hobbs for the next 3 years.

Admittedly, exaggeration goes both ways. People overstate how bad players are but supporters also overstate how good players are.

Lets be tempered here on Maroney. Can someone project how many carries he would have gotten if Fred Taylor and/or Sammy Morris had played. I'll say 4 carries.

Good post.
He was dancing again for at least half his carries. When has that off left tackle play ever worked with him carrying? You know the one where he tries to bounce outside and gets creamed. There are some (perhaps most) unconvinced.
DW Toys

Good post.
He was dancing again for at least half his carries. When has that off left tackle play ever worked with him carrying? You know the one where he tries to bounce outside and gets creamed. There are some (perhaps most) unconvinced.
DW Toys

Yeah, but most of you will never be convinced because you arbitrarily decided 2 years ago or so that he sucks, and that's that. Frankly, those of us that realize that he's a good RB have accepted this fact and don't really care how 'unconvinced' you all are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back