PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

STILL SURREAL: Randy Moss Just Took a 16Mill Pay Cut to Become a Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
Stranger things have happened, but can you believe this!?!? I still can't, I don't think it's sunk in yet. I don't think I will fully comprehend the magnitude of this move until the season starts.

We got one of the best receivers of our generation, still in his prime, for almost nothing and no risk.

This guy has got a bad history, but so far he's been saying all the right things, and as they say actions speak louder than words, and anyone who voluntarily tears up a 20 million dollar contract to play for the Patriots means business, and by business I mean WINNING.

I never thought I'd ever see this sentence, but Randy Moss just took a 16 million dollar pay cut to play for a championship.

Last edited:
I'm with you.....however you must realize that the raiders were not going to keep him (they can't afford to with the amount of money they will pay Russell) and he wouldn't take a pay cut for GB. So most likely he would have been released (and then i don't know what his salary would be) and then picked up by someone else.

He took a big paycut, but mabey Miguel can tell us exactly how much!

Stranger things have happened, but can you believe this!?!? I still can't, I don't think it's sunk in yet. I don't think I will fully comprehend the magnitude of this move until the season starts.

We got one of the best receivers of our generation, still in his prime, for almost nothing and no risk.

This guy has got a bad history, but so far he's been saying all the right things, and as they say actions speak louder than words, and anyone who voluntarily tears up a 20 million dollar contract to play for the Patriots means business, and by business I mean WINNING.

I never thought I'd ever see this sentence, but Randy Moss just took a 16 million dollar pay cut to play for a championship.

Worth bumping.

If nearly anybody else in the NFL took a 16 million paycut, the media would be all over his nuts and declare him as a saint. As it's Moss, the media will likely ignore the issue completely.

What continues to blow my mind, and yet go unremarked by our vaunted media, is the complete turnaround this season from Vets who don't want to come here because we're "too cheap" etc, to now vets taking pay cuts or lesser deals just to play with us!!!! Wow!

What continues to blow my mind, and yet go unremarked by our vaunted media, is the complete turnaround this season from Vets who don't want to come here because we're "too cheap" etc, to now vets taking pay cuts or lesser deals just to play with us!!!! Wow!

Very good point, bump.. that is about as ridiculous as Tom Jackson's comments...

Will you guys STOP with the pay cut horse bleep?? He just got a 3mil RAISE, because he would have either been released by the Raiders, or forced into a NEW DEAL, ANY WHERE he went.

Nice aquisition (it appears), but jeez Louise!

I think the pay cut is a little overplayed. Here is my reasoning:

First, Moss probably fully expects to get all of his incentives therefore he took a pay cut of about $2-3 million this year.

Second, Moss knew if he didn't take somewhat of a paycut, he could risk losing even more. If the Raiders couldn't find a trade partner, he probably would have been cut. Then a new team might have given him an even worse contract than the Pats just gave him.

Third, Moss fully plans on using this season to rehab his image and cash in next season whether it is with the Pats or someone else. Moss is probably thinking that if he can prove he can play for Belichick that people will think he can change his stripes and he probably expects with Brady he can get 1,400 yards again.

It is a calculated risk on his part, but I think he feels he won't lose that much money by making this move. You can give him credit for taking this risk, but I think Moss fully expects to recoup 60-80% of that $21 million by doing this move.

Nobody on major media networks is playing up this aspect at all. For most other players, they would get tons of positive press and PR for this. It communicates a desire simply to win, and that other intangibles are more important than money.

Will you guys STOP with the pay cut horse bleep?? He just got a 3mil RAISE, because he would have either been released by the Raiders, or forced into a NEW DEAL, ANY WHERE he went.

Nice aquisition (it appears), but jeez Louise!

Moss wasn't going to be cut by the Raiders. He was going to be traded. Period. If not the Pats, then the Packers.

He DID take a pay cut and yes, you can go by the previous amount of money he should have made, but really should only be looked at as taking a 5 million pay cut because he wasn't going to get the 11.75 million or whatever it was.

Moss wasn't going to be cut by the Raiders. He was going to be traded. Period. If not the Pats, then the Packers.

He DID take a pay cut and yes, you can go by the previous amount of money he should have made, but really should only be looked at as taking a 5 million pay cut because he wasn't going to get the 11.75 million or whatever it was.
If you notice, I said one of the two. If you notice, plenty of your Pat brethren agree that this slant is overplayed, that's all I'm saying.

If you notice, I said one of the two. If you notice, plenty of your Pat brethren agree that this slant is overplayed, that's all I'm saying.

How is it being overplayed if none of the major media pundits have talked about it or emphasized it?

You could also notice that I said "pay cuts or lesser deals". I was actually thinking of Thomas, and Stallworth more than Moss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey