PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still on the board: a round-2 cheat sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ask myself if #56 this year and a first next year is worth having Wilkerson for all of 2011 and 2012. I guess we need to see who we take at #56 first.

Belichick had to know that Wilkerson wouldn't last to 33 and he would likely go to the division rival Jets. While the Jets and Pats have different schemes, they are looking for the same thing in 3-4 DEs. If Belichick thought that Wilkerson was starter-quality, he would have drafted him.

My opinion...Belichick has evolved his thinking about the DL. NT is a premium position and the Pats are set there. It seems like he doesn't want to invest (salary or draft picks) in a base 3-4 end like with Seymour and Warren. Since a lot of what they do is eat up blockers, that physical makeup and skill set can be fulfilled by vet pickups (G.Warren), 2nd tier picks (Brace) and developmental types (Deaderick). This year brings Shroud and a host of non-1st round block-eaters (Jenkins, Thornton, Neild, Kearse, etc).

Someone on sirius radio said BB has a trade lined up for #33 and it involves a 3rd and 7th this year and a first next year. No mention of which team was trading with us.

Possibly the Raiders. 6pm is (barely) before Al's bedtime and he has to be thinking QB of the future. There are 5 teams considering QB before the Raiders pick at #48 (Buffalo, Cincinnati, Arizona, Washington, SF). Not all will take QBs but Al might be locked onto Kaepernick and not willing to risk losing him to any of those 5 teams.

That being said, moving from 33 to 81 is too far in this draft...plus the Raiders have more pressing needs outside of QB. I'll bet any trade for #33 will be a smaller jump (Washington at #41?) to get Dalton ahead of Cincinnati and Arizona.

Williams
Reed
Leshoure

me happy

All I can say is - prepare to be disappointed then.
BB rarely drafts who we think he will.
I do think he'll draft an OLB project sometime in late round 2, but it may be someone we've heard very little of.
I also doubt we draft a RB prospect early.

I think BB addresses interior OL, DL, and OLB in round 2. Possibly CB, WR, RB later.

Last edited:
#33 is clearly for choosing between Brady successors Dalton and Kaepernick :) ; however, if you insist on considering other prospects: RB Williams, RB Daniels, WR Cobbs, DE Jenkins, OL Ijalana, CB Dowling, DL Austin.

#56 could be bundled to move up for one of the above, or: DL McClain, DL Paea, OLB Bailey, OLB Reed.

#60 probably moves down: CB Curtis Brown, OLB Sheard, DL Ellis, ILB McCarthy, ILB Matthews, DL McPhee.

#74 is probably trade bait: OL Boling, OL Wisniewski, RB Murray, RB Hunter, CB Jalil Brown.

#92 for whichever early fourth rounder looks good.

I think the Redskins want Mallet. They got #49 yesterday and own #41. They have no third or fourth rounder. The price for #33 will be higher than point value. I see the Skins as a partner for Mallet. They have ammunition with #41 and #49. We give them our fourth.
We then have #41 who could still get us a pass rusher but less of a chance after that, #49, #56, and #60 in the second round. Then #74 early in the third will be the cream still available. That is going down eight spots but another #2. I hate to move from #33 but I do the deal.

#33 Mallet QB Redskins
#34 Dalton QB Bills
#35 Kaepernick QB Bengals
#36 Austin DT Broncos
#37 A. Williams CB/S Browns
#38 A. Ayers OLB Cardinals
#39 Paea DT Titans
#40 B. Harris CB Cowboys
#41 D. Bowers DE Pats
#42 Dowling CB Texans
#43 Franklin OT Vikings
#44 House CB Lions
#45 Gilchrist CB 49ers
#46 Moore S Broncos
#47 T. Smith WR Rams
#48 Wisniewski C Raiders
#49 B. Reed OLB Pats
#50 Cobb WR Chargers
#51 Ijalana G Tampa
#52 Leshoure RB Giants
#53 R. Williams RB Colts
#54 Q. Carter S Eagles
#55 Brewer TChiefs
#56 Hankerson WR Pats
#57 M. Wilson LB Seattle
#58 Young WR Ravens
#59 Houston OLB Browns
#60 Murray RB Pats
#61 Rudolph TE Chargers
#62 Little WR Bears
#63 Wright CB Steelers
#64 Jerrigan WR Packers

DW Toys

I like your thoughts. But I still expect the Pats to invest in red-shirt Greg Romeus...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes