PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still love Brady the player but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapatsfan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This Brady the union guy thing is starting to really become irritating. Unions of any type have completely outlived their purpose. Brady states, "we want the money going to the players." Who is he to say that? He is an employee of the New England Patriots, nothing more. The owners should be able to spend their money how ever they would like. They put up the coin to buy the team and have this right. If they want to be cheap, let them. Their product will suffer, and they will see the results in their team's popularity and revenue. Why is there a union to begin with? Collusion laws do not allow competing entities to get together and take advantage of anyone. For example, the owners can't get together and say "let's agree to not offer the players any more than xxxx so we can increase our profits." All of the competing teams should be allowed to offer their players as little or as much as they want to. Players will choose to go to the teams offering the best packages, which will force the others teams to offer more. Look at the destruction unions have caused in every other industry (automotive, education, government, etc...) Unions force companies to offer more than the market calls for, and industries always suffer as a result. If unions are allowed to carry as much weight in the NFL as they have in other industries, to assume pro football will not eventually suffer the same fate is being extremely naive. The fact that Brady follows this union line makes me literally sick to my stomach.

inb4 political debate about unions :bricks:

This Brady the union guy thing is starting to really become irritating. Unions of any type have completely outlived their purpose. Brady states, "we want the money going to the players." Who is he to say that? He is an employee of the New England Patriots, nothing more. The owners should be able to spend their money how ever they would like. They put up the coin to buy the team and have this right. If they want to be cheap, let them. Their product will suffer, and they will see the results in their team's popularity and revenue. Why is there a union to begin with? Collusion laws do not allow competing entities to get together and take advantage of anyone. For example, the owners can't get together and say "let's agree to not offer the players any more than xxxx so we can increase our profits." All of the competing teams should be allowed to offer their players as little or as much as they want to. Players will choose to go to the teams offering the best packages, which will force the others teams to offer more. Look at the destruction unions have caused in every other industry (automotive, education, government, etc...) Unions force companies to offer more than the market calls for, and industries always suffer as a result. If unions are allowed to carry as much weight in the NFL as they have in other industries, to assume pro football will not eventually suffer the same fate is being extremely naive. The fact that Brady follows this union line makes me literally sick to my stomach.
Enjoy your vomiting. Please feel free to contribute more enlightening observations. Holy $%^&...

Collusion laws do not allow competing entities to get together and take advantage of anyone. For example, the owners can't get together and say "let's agree to not offer the players any more than xxxx so we can increase our profits." All of the competing teams should be allowed to offer their players as little or as much as they want to.

I'm not going to touch your political comments with a 10,000-foot pole.

That said, there's one very simple reason you need the NFLPA: without a collective bargaining agreement, the draft would violate anti-trust laws.

For real?

wow...that is one big paragraph. My eyeballs are aching.

OP clearly has issues and they have got nothing to do with football.

So...

Andre Smith reportedly tips the scales at 370 lbs right now.

You are as bad as the Boston Mediots. How about you put the quote into proper context by giving everyone the rest of the paragraph it came from? Or would that defeat the purpose and make you look even stupider than you already do?

Seriously. Unions are only as strong as the people in them and the companies that they work for allow them to be. In this day and age, many unions have learned to work with the companies or learned that the companies can and are willing to close up shop and move elsewhere.

Unions still have their place, believe it or not.

There is no logical reason against single-employer unions, by which I mean that the major arguments in favor of antitrust law don't apply to such situations.

I have some qualms about multi-employer unions, in that they try to force all companies in the same industry to do business in similar ways. But that's not the situation here. Since the owners collaborate on employment of players, they are for these purposes a single employer.

So their employees should be allowed to collaborate too, so as to equalize the negotiating power.

OP clearly has issues and they have got nothing to do with football.

My money is on him being a manager who lost a few concessions in the last round of negotiations with a union...

this brady the union guy thing is starting to really become irritating. Unions of any type have completely outlived their purpose. Brady states, "we want the money going to the players." who is he to say that? He is an employee of the new england patriots, nothing more. The owners should be able to spend their money how ever they would like. They put up the coin to buy the team and have this right. If they want to be cheap, let them. Their product will suffer, and they will see the results in their team's popularity and revenue. Why is there a union to begin with? Collusion laws do not allow competing entities to get together and take advantage of anyone. For example, the owners can't get together and say "let's agree to not offer the players any more than xxxx so we can increase our profits." all of the competing teams should be allowed to offer their players as little or as much as they want to. Players will choose to go to the teams offering the best packages, which will force the others teams to offer more. Look at the destruction unions have caused in every other industry (automotive, education, government, etc...) unions force companies to offer more than the market calls for, and industries always suffer as a result. If unions are allowed to carry as much weight in the nfl as they have in other industries, to assume pro football will not eventually suffer the same fate is being extremely naive. The fact that brady follows this union line makes me literally sick to my stomach.

wall of text

He is the employee who has been instrumental in making the Patriots the most prestigious franchise in the NFL, and he has personally made the Patriots millions of dollars (at least) above and beyond what he's paid. He's the face of the franchise. Call him what you want, and I'm not even going to bother to debate you on the usefulness of unions (I can already tell it would go nowhere), but if he was 'just an employee' Kraft would tell him to eff off. Kraft clearly knows more than you do, though, and he knows that the Patriots need Brady more than Brady needs the Patriots. There are at least 20 teams that would kill to have Tom Brady, and there are no other Tom Bradys waiting in line to play for the Pats.

And by the way, the owners can and do get together and set a ceiling on what they're willing to pay players: it's called a salary cap. Do you even watch the NFL? I wish I could give this thread -2 stars.

Last edited:
My money is on him being a manager who lost a few concessions in the last round of negotiations with a union...

That would require him to have reached management. Not a huge feat or anything, but still... in this case, I really doubt it.

I also do not like onions. Make my breath stanky.

You are as bad as the Boston Mediots. How about you put the quote into proper context by giving everyone the rest of the paragraph it came from? Or would that defeat the purpose and make you look even stupider than you already do?

Seriously. Unions are only as strong as the people in them and the companies that they work for allow them to be. In this day and age, many unions have learned to work with the companies or learned that the companies can and are willing to close up shop and move elsewhere.

Unions still have their place, believe it or not.

Well said I concur.. "Brady the Union Guy" is not much different than the "Brady before he became the player rep guy"... wonder if Borges or Felger are looking for a shadow writer.

Tom Brady is the most important player in the HISTORY of the New England Patriots. Yeah they do not have to give him what he wants or anything close to it, but he would not be wrong to demand it.

the OP is wrong on so many levels it's not even worth discussing... but to actually say that about Brady is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots