Welcome to PatsFans.com

Still Livid (MERGED fuming over officiating)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Wildo7, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

If we had lost that game we would have been the sore losers that we have come across the entire year and that fact makes me so mad I can't even believe it.

Ok we won and I'm clearly ecstatic as most Pat fans are, but that game shouldn't have even been close. I'm going to disregard the speculation that Pollian or the Colts were responsible, but I've NEVER seen such a blatant example of the league conspiring to manufacture a Pats loss.

If any Colts fan can honestly watch that game and say that the NFL didn't manipulate the game to create an artificial Colts' win then they're just lying to themselves. I cannot believe the blatant cheating that I just witnessed.

Let's leave aside the fact that a first-time Ref was put in place to call the most important regular season game that's taken place this century.

This game speaks to the credibility of the entire National Football League. Either way way we still won so

What rules are the Pats actually playing by?

I am floored by the undeniable attempt by either the League or the Colts to fix that game.

And I'm not only speaking about the Wayne passed-Interference call that wasn't an honest "mistake" that was completely premeditated and diabolical, it was downright disgraceful and embarrassing for football fans everywhere.

While I do care about the "competitive" nature of the NFL, any fan that watches a replay of that game and doesn't acknowledge the unreal arrogance of the officiatings' attempt to produce a desired result is not only lying to themselves, but they are willfully complicit in transforming American professional football into the WWE.

The Wayne passed-interference call was not an honest mistake. No Human being in their right mind could have seen a CB in front of a WR as even a "physical aspect of the game" that could be called either way. That call was not even debatable.

This game was rife with ridiculous imaginary penalties and Colts' spots that were beyond generous.

I should be ecstatic that the Pats pulled out that win despite the "adversity" that the Pats supposedly faced but I find myself left with an anger and a doubt in the leagues' legitimacy that I have never felt before in my entire life.

I am disgusted with football right now.

Spots, penalties, non-calls and crucial decisions were so unethically calculated and biased what should be a joyous "W" for a historical team, is morphed into a cynical and bitter critique of a game that was apparently pre-determined by a league that desperately seeks to overcome the "spygate" fallout by gift-wrapping an artificial "product" for its consumer.

That was a great game on both sides. The two best teams of this Century showed why their defenses are two of the best in recent memory, coupled with two of the best offenses we have ever seen in the history of the game.

I am truly saddened that an unbelievably special battle between two of the greatest all-around teams in the history of Professional football has been sullied and disrespected by a league that cares more about pandering to a corporate-media-fabricated "product" than a forum for a special exhibition of historical greatness that transcends the sport.

I have always prided myself on being a non-homer who's appreciative of the great Peyton Manning coexisting with a transedental Tom Brady. The fortune with which we have come to be able to watch two totally complete, post salary-cap teams, got to war with each other,exemplifying the absolute beauty of pro football and competition cannot be overstated. We are truly fortuitous to see this display not only in our lifetimes, but in our New England domain.

It is in enormous regret and total disappointment that I find myself with a sour taste in my mouth. My uncontrollable and even irritating and obnoxious fanatical behavior during the course of this game is totally sullied by the skepticism of what I witnessed. I saw my favorite team take another step towards historical supremacy and uniqueness today and am eternally greatful for that.

But I'm left with a sour taste in my mouth that I fear may be not only overlooked by those overcome by joy, but those who watch, revel in, and ultimately enjoy a sport whose custodians and guardians apparently not only meddle in, but truly disrespect and sully.

Ofcourse maybe I should just chill out. Maybe I'll be flamed. But I would feel remiss if I didnt state my honest opinion on what I just saw; albeit in a victory that will surely foster selective Amnesia in both the fans that saw their team emerge victorious and overmatched.

That game shouldn't have been close, it should have been decisive. The Pats won because of their amazing transcendance, and not in despite of a playing field that was clearly sloped against them.

We are witnessing athletic greatness the likes of which are seen only in a given league once in any leagues' history and we are lucky enough to support a hometown protagnotist. Surely the uncanny and never-before-seen mitigating factors only add to this tale.

Maybe I should be as angry as I am right now or maybe I should just chill out and let bygones be bygones. Either way we won so "eff the league" and "eff you" if you hate the Pats.

Flame on.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  2. TNTitan

TNTitan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

3. wdkantro2

wdkantro2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Re: Still Livid

I think it's a little conspiratorial to say the league wanted the Pats to lose so they told the refs to call it in a one sided manner. At most, they didn't care if they won or lost and decided to put a crappy 1st year crew that they hoped might not call a good game. But even that is pushing it in my opinion. This is NOT the first time there has been a poorly officiated game in the history of sports.
  4. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +56 / 2 / -2

My Jersey:

nope..this isn't the first time...but it IS the WORST time...not even close
  5. sarge

sarge Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

None was as bad as the Offensive PI on Moss,

That was ridiculous.

He got nailed for a BS one in the Dallas game as well.

There were clearly two different rulebooks used tonight depending on which offense was on the field.

The only time I actually ever saw him do it, he didn't get flagged.

But two times he does nothing, he gets flagged.
  6. MrTibbs

MrTibbs Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That was some of the most BS calls I've seen in ages. Funny how it always seemed to happen when the Patriots entered the Colts 40 yardline. On top of that how many crap @ss calls is Hobbs going to get when he plays against the Colts?
  7. Absurdly Metro

Absurdly Metro Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

valium anyone?

:)
  8. Patstopia

Patstopia Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

My favorite was the spot on the 1st down where he was stopped about 1 1/2 yards from the mark and they placed the ball a foot past the marker. By then of course I was use to getting jobbed the ref's. And the announcers just said, something like,'oh, he got pretty far before being knocked back'. Lol, bunch of tools!
  9. TripleOption

TripleOption Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Wow, what a douche bag you are. Now go drink a tall glass of windex.
  10. taltos

taltos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The only weakness in the conspiracy theory is the fact that the officiating teams are assigned prior to the start of the season according to the head of officials. At that time the importance of the game could not be fully known. I do believe that there were some instructions given to call the game closely on the Pats.
  11. Sunqueen212

Sunqueen212 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yeah, wtf was that? He was stopped clearly by about 2 yards and they gave him the 1st down.
  12. TomBrady'sGoat

TomBrady'sGoat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I agree on still being upset. The Pats just won a tough game to go 9-0 and I didn't enjoy it at all. The refs ruined that game for me.

I don't for a second believe it was deliberate. I believe it was horrible officiating heavily in favor of one team. If they wanted the Colts to win they could have easily called phantom defensive holding calls whenever the Colts failed to convert a 3rd down. The could have called offensive holding on big NE plays. They could have come up with something on the Manning fumble.

I also believe that the campaigning Dungy and Polian do works. The refs entered this game looking for Moss pushing off and therefore called it even when it didn't happen. They were looking for Hobbs interfering and called it. Even though the calls went heavily in their favor someone is probably creating a tape right now featuring all of the non-calls that went against Indy.
  13. Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think I've been among the more level-headed posters here, but I simply don't understand how anyone can NOT be upset with the officiating in this game. I'm still quite livid myself, and I find it completely understandable that the Pats players were visible upset as well. Somethning needs to be done about this. I don't know what, but the Pats FO would do well to pursue this.
  14. Patstopia

Patstopia Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

A deceiving name for a troll. Afraid to own up to who you really root for?
  15. TomBrady'sGoat

TomBrady'sGoat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Was that towards the end of the half? Manning threw an incompletion on the next play and I expected a punt (thinking it had been 3rd and 1 or 2). I then saw it was 2nd/10 and assumed I missed the play where Indy got the 1st. Did the refs simply give them a ridiculous spot?
  16. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Well, then, shame on the NFL for thinking that "Hey, let's give what's shaped up in the past few years to be one of the most significant games on the schedule to a newbie!" was teh awesome. :enranged:
  17. LoveDemPats

LoveDemPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He's just saying,

As he sits in his sweaty little chair, in his grimey little payton shirt, picking his nose, and giggling at nothing. You lost. We won. Go home.
  18. LoveDemPats

LoveDemPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Always good when windex is used in a quote! :)

Did you know that the ref blew the frick'n coin toss also? Teddy was livid I guess. The pats called heads. The ref dropped the coin. It was heads, and he picked it up and through it again.

the idea is that the ref would have kept throwing till it came up tails, but it came up the second time! :rolleyes:

That frick'n out of bounds catch. :rolleyes:

All the interference calls :rolleyes:

What a bunch of freak'n azz gobblers.
  19. kolbitr

kolbitr Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

This is beyond pathetic...you already outed yourself last Feb as a Colts troll, and perversely enough you are still pretending. What a fool.
  20. PYPER

PYPER Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm not willing to believe that the league is behind the officiating. I find it much more plausible that certain officials are likely to have personal biases against us. Between "spygate" and the (mis)perception of us running up scores, we're a team that many individuals would dislike if those individuals were to base their opinions on what they observe through the media, which most individuals do.

There is nothing we can do about any of the above. But the league must do something about the pass interference call for the simple reason that it is the one call that completely enables the officials to determine the outcome of games. It simply gives them too much power. We learned from the NBA that officials are not immune to corruption. It's the league's responsibility to install its own checks and balances.

Here's what I suggest:

1) Two versions of pass interference: Blatant and non-blatant. Blatant pass interference is a spot foul, just like it is now. Non-blatant is not a spot foul. It's a yardage foul (5, 10, or 15? I don't care, pick one) and an automatic first down.

2) Pass Interference should be reviewable. Officials should be allowed to determine whether it was blatant or non-blatant or perhaps neither.

This is too big a penalty to leave alone. The game must be protected.
  21. NYCPatsFan

NYCPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I hope so.

Also, rememeber that Pat Kirwan's FIRST point on nfl.com was to have the Colts complain to the ref's about the Moss' holdings. :mad:
  22. jaytyme

jaytyme Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

hey wildo......
    unfortunate but accurate
    the samuel call was marginal - 3 points
    the hobbs call was ludicrous -3 points
    the moss no call was ridiculous, his arm was held
    the moss PI was bullshiiiiiiit

the way i see it, these officials tried to give indy 14 and take 7 away from the pats.

as it turned out indy got six and the pats got 7. in other words, we ovvercame a 21 point fu@#ing by the refs to win this game.

i'm still not excited to host indy in the afccg in january. thats one tough team.

but if this game were called staight up we would've won by at least 14
  23. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

I've never in my life b.itched about the refs, injuries or any of that other total BS that idiot fans whine about when they lose. I believe we lost that AFCCG last year straight up despite what some "impartial" Pats fans here and other places claim. Never once complained or made excuses, and I certainly wouldn't say anything in a win even if there were a "few" questionable calls that happened to go the other teams way. I also hate conspiracy theories and those that espouse them and am floored by the fact that my comments now somehow seem to make me a "conspiracy theorist."

I could bring up so many examples of how this game was clearly officiated by men either directly instructed or personally inclined to do their best to help the Colts and kill the Pats, but I will mention only one because I feel it best exemplifies the undeniable nature of my point: I don't care how lousy or inexperienced a referee you are, there is no possible way that watching a CB running IN FRONT of Reggie Wayne and leaping for a catch could lead you to legitimately call defensive pass interference. It's not a bad call, it's a premeditated and deliberate call and anyone who watches that replay and thinks that a reasonable human being could have accidentally thrown that flag (among many, many others) against the defense is either in willful denial or completely insane.

Look, I don't know what went on to create this situation, and it kills me to be b.itching about officiating or making any "excuses" (especially when we won!) but I still feel so angry about this game that I can't even believe it. I cannot believe that I am one of those losers complaining about the refs and I can't believe that I feel compelled to write this in frustration, but I do.

It's absolutely nothing against the Colts or Polian or whoever. The Colts are a great team and I love this rivalry like I've never loved a rivalry before and I have no idea who or what was the dominant force behind the attempt to undermine this game, but I'm convinced that this attempt was undeniable.

I like to consider myself pretty level-headed and I can't stand homers and those who make excuses in a loss or trash other teams out of blind hatred. If this were merely a debatble bias amongst the refs or a series of poor and unfair calls, I would be the absolute last person to say anything about it and would take the win in stride. I really can't help myself but say what I believe to have happened and am extremely upset about....
  24. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

nice try......
  25. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +56 / 2 / -2

My Jersey:

It's Polian, Wildo...he's been the mysterious force behind every negative aimed at the Patriots this season. He's been an outrageous psychopath ever since his days at Buffalo and he's drunk with power.
  26. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +32 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know. But that's total speculation and I have no evidence to say it. It could have been the fact that media hates the Pats, or that BB isn't liked amongst NFL "inner circles" or that the NFL wants to maintain the parity that it created the salary cap for. It could have been a whole host of different reasons. And neither I, nor you, has any evidence of why it happened or who was behind it but my only point is that you cannot honestly watch that game and deny that it happened.

Oh and Tom Jackson just said that because of "injuries" this was a "moral victory" for the Colts. No mention of the fact that our team managed to beat an undefeated defending SB championship team that's playing the best they ever have at home and are now 9-0. Wow.
  27. NYCPatsFan

NYCPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I am sure he made a similar comment when we lost the AFCG last year without so many of our key defensive players. :rolleyes:

BTW - Very nice thread and post Wildo7. You have captured and articulated the emotions of many of us. Thanks!
  28. pheenix11

pheenix11 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Everyone keeps talking about the refs giving the Colts 6 points.

They gave the Colts the ball on the Pats 5 TWICE with BS calls. It is only because of our great defense that this turned into 6 points instead of 14.
  29. patriotspride

patriotspride Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

go jump off a bridge you dork :rolleyes:
  30. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

So...a casual fan, huh? 'Cause that's nonsense. You just don't hear about B.S. officiating AGAINST the Pats b/c theyt don't complain very much, and more importantly, they often WIN ANYWAY so it's not controversial.

Try watching the games.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.