PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Still don't understand the Vrabel thing, but hope it's not NFLPA related

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I still stuned more about Mike Vrabel gone than Matt Cassel.. Im pumped that Brady will be back, but that was almost a given.. The D still needs work, and need some LB.. I cant help but why was Mike Vrabel just given to the chiefs?? Is it more that the team finally realize its time to get young in the lb.. Mike Vrabel was a leader, and a playmaker still why would he be given up for nothing?? I love Tedy Brushci also and he is a great patriot, but he has made less plays than Vrabel.. Maybee Belichick will let Tedy decide when its time to end his carrer and not force him to quit, same for Rodney, who I think its safe to say wont be back either..

There has been thought that Vrabel because of his NFLPA stance and comments he made in the Herald last year, is part of the reason.. I doubt it and hope not, but some old time Pats fans will remember this.. The last time the nfl has been this close to work stoppage, was in 87, Brian Holloway a pro bowl o line man, was the Pats rep, he made some strong comments, and then a week later was delt to the Raiders.. Not saying that this is the case, because its totally different era's, but that would be a bad message to send to us fans if that was the reason.. Im upset about Vrabel, but the old saying goes, rather get rid of a player 1 year to early rather than 1 year to late.

Re: Still dont understand the Vrabel thing, but hope its not NFLPA related.

I still stuned more about Mike Vrabel gone than Matt Cassel.. Im pumped that Brady will be back, but that was almost a given.. The D still needs work, and need some LB.. I cant help but why was Mike Vrabel just given to the chiefs?? Is it more that the team finally realize its time to get young in the lb.. Mike Vrabel was a leader, and a playmaker still why would he be given up for nothing?? I love Tedy Brushci also and he is a great patriot, but he has made less plays than Vrabel.. Maybee Belichick will let Tedy decide when its time to end his carrer and not force him to quit, same for Rodney, who I think its safe to say wont be back either..

There has been thought that Vrabel because of his NFLPA stance and comments he made in the Herald last year, is part of the reason.. I doubt it and hope not, but some old time Pats fans will remember this.. The last time the nfl has been this close to work stoppage, was in 87, Brian Holloway a pro bowl o line man, was the Pats rep, he made some strong comments, and then a week later was delt to the Raiders.. Not saying that this is the case, because its totally different era's, but that would be a bad message to send to us fans if that was the reason.. Im upset about Vrabel, but the old saying goes, rather get rid of a player 1 year to early rather than 1 year to late.

Because he's not very good anymore?

I wondered about this myself. He has been very critical of the owners.

I think though the prime reason was an opportunity to trade instead

of cut an over priced declining veteran.

He led the team in sacks 2 years ago, and maybee was off last year, but still he is better than say TBC ..

That is as good a reason as any.

On the other hand, Rosevelt Colvin, Junior Seau, Eric Alexander, Tedy Bruschi, Pierre Woods, and now Tully Banta-Cain is back.

These are the guys who have been playing for us the last several years.

I believe it's a very difficult argument to say Vrabel is now any worse than any of these guys.

The reason is simple.

Precedent.

The Patriots talked to him about waiving his roster bonus, taking a smaller salary. He didn't want to. In the past, players like this have been moved from the Patriots. It happened to Willie McGinest when he still had something in the tank. I think the Patriots simply feel that in these cases, the players have to realize that when a team asks you for a paycut, they are not doing it to bust your balls. They do not make such a move lightly.

They did the same thing to Rodney Harrison. Rodney took the paycut.

On the other hand, Rosevelt Colvin, Junior Seau, Eric Alexander, Tedy Bruschi, Pierre Woods, and now Tully Banta-Cain is back.

I believe it's a very difficult argument to say Vrabel is now any worse than any of these guys.

Those guys aren't making 4.5 million. This was a salary dump.

a) Salary

b) One would assume none of those players will be starting at OLB for the Pats on opening day.

Vrabel is an older player who no longer produced on the level of his salary cap hit. It is just that simple. He was going to cut today if he wasn't traded yesterday.

At the end of the 2007 season he looked like a broken down older player. He was invisible in the playoffs. He then played that way for the 2008 season.

BB doesn't keep older players with big cap numbers unless their production warrants it. The NFLPA had nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down