Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sticky Please: Declared Underclassmen

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by dryheat44, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Ryan Clady OT 6-5, 320 Boise State
    Derrick Harvey DE 6-5, 250 Florida
    Kenny Phillips FS 6-1, 205 Miami
    Calais Campbell DE 6-8, 280 Miami
    Erin Henderson LB 6-2, 236 Maryland
    Branden Albert OG 6-6, 336 Virginia
    Mario Urruttia WR 6-6, 220 Louisville
    Cornelius Ingram TE 6-4, 235 Florida
    Jonathan Dingle DE 6-3, 275 West Virginia
    Franklin Dunbar OT 6-5, 345 Middle Tennessee State
    Taj Smith WR 6-0, 190 Syracuse

2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +466 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

DH,I consider you the formost expert on the draft this board has. That being said I have two questions:
    1. I doubt the pats will pick at 7,I think they'll trade down,you're thoughts.
    2. Who do you see them taking, as of now?

3. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

You seriously overestimate me. I'm a guy who enjoys the draft who has the most time on his hands. I consider Ochmed, Sebman, Pony Express, and a few others much more knowledgeable. But thank you just the same. To answer:

1. When they were projected to have the second or third pick, I think they definitely would have traded down. It's much harder to say with #7, because there's a decent chance a guy they have rated as a top 5 pick will have fallen. If they do trade back, I doubt it will be past the #10 pick. I also think they could trade the pick for a veteran from a rebuilding team. I also wouldn't be surprised with a small trade upwards.

2. Right now, there are two positions on the Patriots that are filled with a player I would consider below-average. One is punter. The other is right tackle. If Jake Long is still available at #7, he's the guy. If he's gone, which is probable, the two clear positions of need are ILB and CB. I'm not counting on Samuel returning, or Seau. I don't think the #7 hole is the spot to draft them. So I think you would have to look for a player that doesn't come around very often when you're drafting. So even though I've predicted and missed with Manny Lawson and Anthony Spencer the last two years, I'll say Vernon Gholston is the pick, since Colvin's injury and Vrabel's age raise concerns. Of course, if they sign Jason Taylor in the off-season....

So to recap, assuming we draft somewhere #5-#10:

1. Jake Long
    2. Vernon Gholston
    3. Chris Long
    4. Michael Oher/Sam Baker

4. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +466 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Thanks for the reply,and I'll be paying more attention to the people you mentioned as being knowlagable about the draft.

5. SeanBruschi54

SeanBruschi54 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +99 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I tend to follow most college sports so if you dont mind ill chime in here:

1. I actually tend to disagree with the majority here and think that the Patriots take the player they like at 7 if he is still there. Besides dont be fooled that the patriots arent already preparing for the draft. As we speak we have multiple scouts combing through college players and seeing who is the best etc. I honestly believe they will/have fallen in love with James Laurinatis if he is there. He is everything BB has personally asked for in a LB without the experience part. If he is there i think he is the next big thing for us.

2. Just pretty much read 1. IF and i say if he is not there i really dont see another player that really fits there needs at 7 that they couldnt get at say 20. This is a very deep draft in multiple areas but not a very top heavy draft. Hopefully that makes sense to you.

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +780 / 17 / -23

#24 Jersey

7. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +280 / 10 / -3

8. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,759 / 9 / -2

#50 Jersey

FYI, I've made a separate sticky thread just for the list!

9. sebman2112

sebman2112 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You start scouting two years in advance. So yea, I wouldn't worry about the Patriots having scouts on top of things. They've got a pretty good group of guys, too.

I'm not sure about you beliefs where Laurinaitis is concerned though. He seems like more of a 4-3/tampa 2 LB who'll need protection at the pro level. Basically, I'm not sure he'll be able to stack at the point, and I think he might have a tough time protecting his legs.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  10. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +466 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

I don't see BB taking a ILB unless that LB is someone Very unusual. He might have taken Willis last year. IMO LB's are the heart of the 3-4 defense,and BB likes veteran LB's with experiance that are a provencommodity. But that still doesn't explain why in the past he hasn't taken one high and groomed him for the position like he would a DB.

11. danny88

danny88 Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Talib.................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.