Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Tim Weisberg weighs in....

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/09-06/09-08-06/05sports.htm

The Patriots' offensive line is the most unheralded unit, but also the most vital to the team's success. And this season, they're poised to become household names, even if nobody ever actually brings them up.

"The communication is there. Everybody is on the same page," said center Dan Koppen, who returns to the line after missing the latter half of last season with a torn rotator cuff.

Injuries played a big part in the development of some of the linemen last season, accelerating the pace and versatility of the unit.
-----
Of course, any discussion about offensive line preparedness and consistency starts with O-line coach Dante Scarnecchia, who has been in charge of the unit since Belichick came aboard in 2000. Overall, Scarnecchia has coached offensive lines for 21 of his 37 seasons in the game. He has 25 NFL seasons under his belt, 23 with the Pats.

Under his guidance, the line has allowed fewer than 30 sacks in each of the last two seasons, while the team has ranked seventh in total offense both years. All the while, Scarnecchia has been throwing together patchwork lines to compensate for departed free agents and injuries while leading them with a hands-on approach. Only Belichick logs more hours in the bowels of Gillette Stadium than Scarnecchia.
-----
In addition to the starters, the offensive line also boasts some of the best depth on the team; reserve Russ Hochstein has started games at guard, center, and even tight end. And tight end Daniel Graham's blocking is so good, he's often referred to as the team's sixth offensive lineman.

Quarterback Tom Brady always speaks about his line in glowing terms, and that's not without reason; without them, he'd have been a pancake on the front of Jason Taylor's or Dwight Freeney's jersey a long time ago.
-----
Still, the pressure of protecting one of the greatest signal-callers in the game isn't lost on O'Callaghan.

"I understand that. I think about that," he said. "Tom's a great guy, a great football player, and it's my job to make sure nobody touches him. I take that very seriously."

I will state that this is the best Pats o-line since 1985. That line consisted of...

C-Pete Brock
LG- Ron Wooten
LT-Steve Moore
RG- John Hannah
RT- Brian Holloway

Time will tell, but so far, you gotta like the tenacity, teamwork and toughness the 06 line posesses.

robertweathers said:
I will state that this is the best Pats o-line since 1985. That line consisted of...

C-Pete Brock
LG- Ron Wooten
LT-Steve Moore
RG- John Hannah
RT- Brian Holloway

Time will tell, but so far, you gotta like the tenacity, teamwork and toughness the 06 line posesses.
Nice first post, welcome neighbor!

Nice. VERY nice.

I wonder if such a paean to an entire Patriots unit
has ever appeared in the Boston press.

Thanks for the great link, Box! As you know, I've been geeking out on this OL...I think they have the chance to let the offense be something special.

(Looking at the picture in the article...not that it matters, but...I wonder when was the last time that a team fielded such a very pale OL, down to the last benchwarmer? The photo just looks weird!)

patchick said:
Thanks for the great link, Box! As you know, I've been geeking out on this OL...I think they have the chance to let the offense be something special.

(Looking at the picture in the article...not that it matters, but...I wonder when was the last time that a team fielded such a very pale OL, down to the last benchwarmer? The photo just looks weird!)
Now that you mention it....:eek:

One of the reasons I'm so high on this particular Patriots team... this will likely be among the best blocking units in the league... coupled with Brady's pocket presence and quick release, we could see less than 20 sacks allowed this season. And the line can actually withstand a couple injuries, which, knock on wood, won't occur.

Richter said:
One of the reasons I'm so high on this particular Patriots team... this will likely be among the best blocking units in the league... coupled with Brady's pocket presence and quick release, we could see less than 20 sacks allowed this season. And the line can actually withstand a couple injuries, which, knock on wood, won't occur.
And the hidden bonus is that Watson and, especially, Graham may get out in the passing game more. Now that's a thought that can turn a guy on :)

It amazes me that Miami didn't pick up a Ryan O'Callahan given their performance Thurs.

NEM said:
You just took the words out of my mouth. And, I can remember sitting there, watching the draft LAST YEAR and right after the Pats made their first pick, yelling at the screen, my eyes bulging out, my blood beginning to boil, as I screamed...."What the F *** is a Logan Whatshisname?"

And then when they named the second offensive lineman, I really flipped out.....

But then, as is usuallythe case with me.... I calmed down..and began to read up on these two guys...and what I read about both of them made me believe that maybe we really pulled off a couple off solid coups, especially coming off of two titles in a row....

I read about these two guys and was very,very impressed , not only with their writeups, but the fact that both of them were mo9re mature than your average college graduate, in age and in physical development, and, of course mental development.

And, as they both got into the lineup, and began to perform, I knew they were the right choices.... and that along with a healthy Matt Light, and the other young guys on the offensive line, that this was going to be one of the best, if not THE BEST, in the NFL.

Put them together with Tom Brady, the running backs we have, the ltight ends, and YES, the WR's too.... this can turn out to be one of the most explosive offenses in Patriot's history. The only thing that will hold them back, IMO, is bad play calling from the sidelines.

Now, when this year's draft came about, after the Pats first roound pick was announced, I did it again, blood boiling, eyes bulging...."What the F### is a Lawrence Baloney?" :D I wanted Chad Jackson in the first round. Well, we all know the outcome of that one. :D

Very nice confessional / reminiscence !

patchick said:

Didn't someone last year coin the phrase "Irish Mafia" when discribing our Oline?:p

PatsChick87 said:
Didn't someone last year coin the phrase "Irish Mafia" when discribing our Oline?:p

If not,
try Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Red-Headed League".

patchick said:

What surprised me about that picture was that all of the offensive linemen were wearing knee braces... I did not realize that they did so in practices.

NordicVoyager said:
What surprised me about that picture was that all of the offensive linemen were wearing knee braces... I did not realize that they did so in practices.
Train the way you intend to play.

robertweathers said:

C-Pete Brock
LG- Ron Wooten
LT-Steve Moore
RG- John Hannah
RT- Brian Holloway

You got your Left and Right swapped (Holloway-Hannah-Brock-Wooten-Moore), but the sentiment remains. While we may not have anyone that matches Hannah, the overall talent could prove to be higher.

PatsChick87 said:

Certainly I was trying to find a nickname for all the red-headed giants (Koppen, Mankins, Kaczur, Light, Neal ...)

Mike the Brit said:
Certainly I was trying to find a nickname for all the red-headed giants (Koppen, Mankins, Kaczur, Light, Neal ...)

I like the Red Headed League as I am an afficianado of the Sherlock...

BelichickFan said:
And the hidden bonus is that Watson and, especially, Graham may get out in the passing game more. Now that's a thought that can turn a guy on :)
Daniel Graham probably threw a party the day Brandon Gorin got shipped out of town. Poor Daniel was practically attached to Gorin at the hip ... the Siamese Football Players.

This could be a great running game this year ...

The '86 line was formidable for its time, but doubt many of them would start in 2006

So the question is about defining "best" - for their time, or timeless? Given the size, strength, and training/conditioning advantages the 2006 guys have, they all might start over the '86 line, with the possible exception of Hannah.

PlattsFan said:
Daniel Graham probably threw a party the day Brandon Gorin got shipped out of town. Poor Daniel was practically attached to Gorin at the hip ... the Siamese Football Players.

This could be a great running game this year ...
The quality of the line might explain why they can afford to let Branch stew all season. They might be a primarily running team the way this awesome unit looks. It will also give the new receivers more time to get open, and when Brady has more time....:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back