PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stevie Johnson anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
inconsistency/ lack of focus is a coach problem me thinks

but as far as stevie goes, after this Ochocinco debacle, i am EXTREMELY hesitant to sign ANY wr (this includes the likes of calving johnson, andre johnson, larry fitz) to big money w/o first seeing if they can play in our offense

inconsistency/ lack of focus is a coach problem me thinks

but as far as stevie goes, after this Ochocinco debacle, i am EXTREMELY hesitant to sign ANY wr (this includes the likes of calving johnson, andre johnson, larry fitz) to big money w/o first seeing if they can play in our offense

This would be my big concern as well. He wants big money.

I was just countering all the negative things said about him. I think he's a good character guy.

Stevie Johnson? Are you kidding me?

I wouldn't imagine the Patriots paying that much money to many WR's in the entire NFL, let alone Stevie Johnson.

He reportedly is looking for anywhere between 7 1/2 to 8 million per yr. I just don't see BUF or anyone for that matter, paying him that kind of money.

I think we will be targeting a mid level cut/free agent signing, much like the WR that didn't seem to work out this year.

On top of that, I would be absolutely shocked if they did not draft a younger high-pick (2nd or 3rd rd) WR in the draft.

The Patriots likely do not want to pay that kind of money (8 million per) to Wes freaking Welker, let alone Stevie Johnson...and Welker is the heart and soul of this offense, and has done nothing but prove himself time and again.

With the franchising/re-upping of Welker + Hernandez and Gronkowski as weapons once again, I don't think that the true need for a high-priced WR is there as much as others do. They can likely draft a much younger, better character guy (who does not drop passes in key situations), for a lot cheaper out of the draft. On top of that, they can continue to search for a "stretch the field" wideout in the mid-market free agency route, or (gasp) even attempt to keep plugging away with the move they made this yr..even as unlikely as that may seem. Either way, they'll get some kind of viable body in there for a much cheaper rate, and chances are he'll be comparable in talent.

Either way, they'll get some kind of viable body in there for a much cheaper rate, and chances are he'll be comparable in talent.

If it were this easy, they would have done it already. It's not. That's why we struggle year after year at that position.

The "missing" piece of an offense that averages 424.5 yards per game (#2 overall), 30.9 ppg (#3 overall), and has scored 55 TDs on the season (#3) overall? Are you serious? What we need to do for the offense this offseason is to resign Wes Welker. That's our #1 priority.

Now here's the thing with Stevie Johnson. He's likely going to look for a contract even richer than Welkers. I don't see the Pats doling out that much money for WRs. Particularly since Ochocinco is still on the books. Would I rather have S. Johnson over Ocho? In theory yes. But who knows if he would have the SAME struggles that Ocho has had transitioning to the Pats 'read' offense? That could end up being a big financial commitment for a WR who hasn't proven he can run our system yet.

So it's an interesting idea but I'll have to pass. I just want Welker locked up. If SJ were affordable I'd say yes, but it says in the article that he's looking for a 'big contract' so I just don't see it happening.
How could he possibly get a better contract than Welker? He's done nothing to show that can play at Welker's level. You're overestimating his market value IMO.

Having said that, he's inconsistent, but he plays on an inconsistent offense. I'm not sure how selfish he is. Receivers earn that reputation after only one or two incidents, and his weren't even that bad.

Having a true outside receiver in this offense can only make it better. It's not about "missing pieces," it's about improving the team. They haven't been that effective throwing outside the numbers this year. If they were, the tight ends would be even more dangerous.

At only 25 years of age, Johnson is an intriguing prospect. He had 82 receptions last year, and he's at 72 for this year, so far. At 6-2, he would be a departure from the Welker/Branch size receivers the Patriots have now.

The problem I see is with his drops. Brady seems to have lost all patience with any receiver not named Hernandez when it comes to dropped passes. I'm not sure how that chemistry would work out. That's something BB would have to look at.

^He hasn't lost patience with Ocho-Cinco's drops and bad route options either.

I say sign Stevie Johnson, trade Ocho or Underwood and get Welker a new contract or extension. SJ likes to have fun, which doesn't mean he's not a team player. He's dropped some balls this year, so have most of the Pats WR crew. The Patriots, IMO have one dependable WR and 2 TEs. It won't take long for a defense to figure that out. They should sign Johnson right away, but he's not worth 7-8 mill a year. He might take a discount though.

^He hasn't lost patience with Ocho-Cinco's drops and bad route options either.

I say sign Stevie Johnson, trade Ocho or Underwood and get Welker a new contract or extension. SJ likes to have fun, which doesn't mean he's not a team player. He's dropped some balls this year, so have most of the Pats WR crew. The Patriots, IMO have one dependable WR and 2 TEs. It won't take long for a defense to figure that out. They should sign Johnson right away, but he's not worth 7-8 mill a year. He might take a discount though.
What's their trade value?

He wants a big contract? Lol nope. Resign Welkah!

I live in Toronto and we get hammered with the Buffalo media and all things Bills.
From what I've seen of Johnson over the past 2 years, he has a very high skill level. But that is only half the story. The other half of this guy seems to be an immature player with significant lapses in concentration.
I think BB would love his talent but loath the other stuff that this guy comes with.
Didn't he blame Jesus in a twitter message when he had that drop in OT vs the Steelers last year?
BUffalo media reported this week that he's looking for 7.5 per year and Clayton (***wipe) figured that the Bills might get him done for 6.5 or so over 6 years.
If this dude had his head on straight he would be dynamite in the Pats offense and he'd make everyone at each position in the O, better.

Stevie Johnson? Are you kidding me?

I wouldn't imagine the Patriots paying that much money to many WR's in the entire NFL, let alone Stevie Johnson.

He reportedly is looking for anywhere between 7 1/2 to 8 million per yr. I just don't see BUF or anyone for that matter, paying him that kind of money.

I think we will be targeting a mid level cut/free agent signing, much like the WR that didn't seem to work out this year.

On top of that, I would be absolutely shocked if they did not draft a younger high-pick (2nd or 3rd rd) WR in the draft.

The Patriots likely do not want to pay that kind of money (8 million per) to Wes freaking Welker, let alone Stevie Johnson...and Welker is the heart and soul of this offense, and has done nothing but prove himself time and again.

With the franchising/re-upping of Welker + Hernandez and Gronkowski as weapons once again, I don't think that the true need for a high-priced WR is there as much as others do. They can likely draft a much younger, better character guy (who does not drop passes in key situations), for a lot cheaper out of the draft. On top of that, they can continue to search for a "stretch the field" wideout in the mid-market free agency route, or (gasp) even attempt to keep plugging away with the move they made this yr..even as unlikely as that may seem. Either way, they'll get some kind of viable body in there for a much cheaper rate, and chances are he'll be comparable in talent.

No. Stevie is a show boater.

I really want Pierre Garcon, from Colts. He is a free agent end of season. He is 26 in 2012. He can stretch veritically, and has good hands. I'd give him
6m/yr.

Then, you focus on Secondary, DL, OL in the draft.

Lock up Welker for 7-7.5m, maybe sign Dion for another year.

Garcon-Welker-Branch-(Hernandez/Gronk).

We can also see if Mathis from Colts is possible, as well..

The moment he pantomimed Plaxico shooting himself he became my favorite non-Patriot AFC East player. That **** was funny as hell.

The comments about how he's all about himself not the team are pretty far off-base. I remember that big drop he had last year the guy seemed pretty gutted that he let his team down based on his twitter comments.

Funny but stupid.

Btw who won that game?

If it were this easy, they would have done it already. It's not. That's why we struggle year after year at that position.

I don't know. By comparable to talent, I meant #85. I don't think it'll be too hard to get that, do you?

While I concur that we certainly could use a stretch the field WR, it's also somewhat overblown too. The system that they have works, as proven by putting up huge offensive numbers the past 2 yrs and being consistantly in the top 2-3 offensive teams.

Yes, it may not work on other teams, but it does here. Especially when you consider the 1-4 guys:

Welker

Gronkowski

Hernandez

Branch

With Ochocinco and Edelman, combined with the RB's, those are even more viable options to throw the ball to; even though they rarely ever get used.

I think people forget that there are only so many balls to go around.

I have no problem with our offensive output at all..(as nice as it would be to have a 'big name' throw the ball deep WR, it is not needed)

The problem that is preventing this team from winning the SB is obviously on defense. We've won a few SB's before without putting up anywhere close to the offensive averages and output that the past couple of yrs have produced.

So, Yes..I will stick to my assessment that I believe they will plug in a viable body.

You know after watching today's game I think he might be a good fit!

Drops game-winning passes and making bonehead decisions that cost his team? NO THANK YOU!

Yeah...he just got benched....And apparently won't return.

LOL, I take it all back

LOL, I take it all back
steve-johnson-HNY.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back