Welcome to PatsFans.com

Steve Vai- The man is insane.

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Raymond, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Raymond

Raymond Rookie

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Holy Moley, I'm home sick today and surfing through the channels, on Palladia I find Steve Vai's, "Where the Wild things are" concert.

There may be no better guitarist out there, and I'm embarrased I've not heard of him till now.:eek:

Something I'm putting in my collection soon.
  2. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

he is a good guitarist for sure...
  3. Satchboogie3

Satchboogie3 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

He's good, but hardly the best. The best thing is his "voice", you can really hear his interesting thoughts and emotions drip from his playing and that's a rarity in rock, even instrumental rock. The one thing that has always turned me off though is his lack of improvisation skills. Listening to the same licks (especially his tapping licks) over and over just kills me. I was a bit excited that he played on Mike Stern's new album "Big Neighborhood", but his improvisation was really bad, especially when followed by Stern. For me, Satriani is the best rock guitarists out there.

As for guitarists in general, my favorite are Pat Metheny and Mike Stern. They are absolute monsters, they can play any style better than just about anyone and they are masters of improvisation. If your not a fan of Jazz these two guys are a great way to get into the genre. You rarely find their kind of beauty in rock that is so abundant in their music.

If your a fan of music you owe it to yourself to check these guys out. Some of my favorite songs follow:

YouTube - Bright Size Life
    A magnificent rendition of "Bright Sized Life" with Richard Bona on bass

Dailymotion - Pat Metheny - Are You Going With Me - une vidéo Musique
    Amazing intro and "Are You Going With Me"

Dailymotion - Pat Metheny Group - The Gathering Sky - a Music video
    "The Gathering Sky"

YouTube - Pat Metheny Group ....The Way Up live Excerpt Part 1
    "The Way Up" - This is a huge scope piece, it's more than 60 minutes long (split into several clips) and is a brilliant masterpiece. It's Jazz, it's rock, it's blues, it's "cool", it's "hot bop", it's Latin, it's got everything. I'll warn you though, it may take a LONG time to really get the full scope of the piece and notice and little nuances. It's almost like a symphony in structure (lots of developing ideas), but a lot more liberal and obviously Jazz.

That is all Pat Metheny.

For Mike Stern, there isn't as much on the internet, here is a full concert from a few years ago:
    Mike Stern Live - The Paris Concert

For me, I'd had enough of rock. I was at Berklee College of Music and my background was mostly rock (Vai, Satriani, Dream Theater, etc etc) and I needed to completely reinvent my musical vocabulary and ideas, but I couldn't go straight to "standard" Jazz. It actually drove me crazy for almost a year until I really started listening to Metheny and Stern (among others) and now I feel like I have somewhere to go with my playing and ideas.
  4. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Berklee College of Music. I have seen so many truly awesome concerts there. In their acoustically perfect (nearly anyway) concert hall. Spyro Gyra with Dave Samuels a few times, The Dave Brubeck Quartet, and an acoustic show by Paul Weller that was nearly spiritual for me.

Although he is obviously no longer with us, no oone has ever compared to Stevie Ray Vaughan for me. I saw him a couple of times live but, the best far and away was on the 20th anniversary of Woodstock when he performed an outdoor concert at the Polish American Beach Club in Gardner, MA. Just amazing.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  5. Bill B.

Bill B. Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

As good as Vaughan was, I would have to say that Rory Gallagher was better, IMHO. He was probably the most underrated guitarist ever. He was one of those rare breeds that could play with emotion and also was one of the best technical players around. I have seen both perform live, and they both were amazing, but I give the edge to Rory. He passed away in the early 90's. Both these guys are missed greatly.
  6. Satchboogie3

Satchboogie3 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I love SRV for his raw emotion and killer licks... but I get bored after 10 minutes. His music just never went anywhere. I can only take the same licks and chord progressions for so long. It's one of the reasons why I can't stand most strictly blues musicians.

Berklee's Theater is a great place to see music, I saw some amazing show's while I was there (and awesome clinics :cool:). Probably the best concert I've seen in a long time though was at the Regattabar in Cambridge. It was a Mike Stern Show with Richard Bona on Bass, Terri Lyne Carrington on drums, and I believe it was Bob Malach on sax.
  7. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Ironically, I always felt the same way about Pat Metheny. No accounting for taste I guess when it comes to the arts. You like what you like.
  8. Satchboogie3

Satchboogie3 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Well yes, taste is so incredibly important when you are trying to judge, categorize, or even just discuss music/art. For me, music was just about "cool" sounds and ideas. Now that I have a deep knowledge in music (theory, genres, playing experience, etc) I find that I need more. I look for balance above all else, but progress is extremely important. Music has to go somewhere, it has to be interesting and original.

While Pat Metheny certainly has many patterns and ideas that he employs as improvisational technique, it's his originality, complexity (richness), joy, and diversity that compels me to keep listening. His material transcends genres, he has written majestic pieces with an orchestra and choir that fused jazz, folk, classical, rock, funk, oriental, and world music styles ("Secret Story"). He has written very progressive Latin jazz styles with incredible song structure ("Minuano" - polyrhythm section). He has written straight Jazz with trios, he's written "cool" jazz fusion ("We Live Here"), he's written a take on American rock (jazz-rock) ("American Garage"), and so on.

Music for me is an exploration of sound, but more importantly tension and resolution. For blues and rock, it's a very very very limited vocabulary (chord progressions and harmony). It isn't until you become liberal and explore (jazz, fusion, etc) that you can find vast richness and elegance.

It's like telling a great story. You need to build tension or have a conflict. The more tension and greater the conflict, the sweeter the resolution will feel. If you have that perfect ending, it's an amazing sensation, but you don't get it unless you have that tension. That is, in rock and blues, there really isn't much of a conflict so the resolution doesn't feel very rewarding, where as in jazz you get that great story and end.

Also, I'm very very liberal in my use of "jazz", I basically mean any improvisational music with syncopation and rich/diverse harmony.

I'm not saying that rock isn't valid as music or isn't enjoyable, it is. I can "rock" out (and do) to music, but I seek MORE than that. I seek beauty, elegance, and awe in music. It's extremely rarely to get awe in mainstream music, but it is prevalent in the best jazz and fusion. (And by awe I don't mean "impressed by technique/etc, I mean FEELING in awe of how beautiful a harmony is).

I guess the best question to ask is: When you listen to good jazz, can you FEEL the tension from the progression? If the answer is no, then you probably won't ever "get" jazz (classical, etc) until you can feel the tension/release. It's like building pressure in a bottle. I can feel minute changes in texture/harmony that would cause tension and the more tension that is add, the more the tension builds up in me until, like a bottle, it gets so much that the cap explodes off and I get the sensation of the release in harmony. After a great piece of music I literally feel relieved.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

John Petrucci is my favorite - but, then, I'm kind of a Dream Theater freak.