PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve Smith Cut. Sign him now

Just those who watch him play football.

I'd take Smith but really the Pats need an big end zone target and Smith has NEVER been that. Plus his big play ability has diminished as he has aged. Just bring back Edelman!

Jones @ 5 really? He's a true outside guy, has size and speed. More dynamic than 3 guys on that list for sure.

For what it's worth here's how CBS's Pete Prisco and Pat Kirwan has them ranked.

2014 NFL Football Free Agents - CBSSports.com Free Agent Tracker

#1 Steve Smith Avg. Rat. 83.5
#3 James Jones Avg. Rat. 76
#4 Julian Edelman Avg. Rat. 73.5
#6 Hakeem Nicks Avg. Rat. 68.5
#7 Emmanuel Sanders Avg. Rat. 65.5

Smith and Decker were the only 2 rated over 80 With Decker at #2, 82.5.

I'd take Smith but really the Pats need an big end zone target and Smith has NEVER been that. Plus his big play ability has diminished as he has aged. Just bring back Edelman!

We do? What's wrong with Gronk and Dobson?

You want a big zone target but you want Edelman back?

You want a big zone target but you want Edelman back?

Both...but since Smith is not that and we don't know if he can pick up the offense as some other veterans failed to do...85 and Galloway. I would rather keep Edelman and draft another TE or big WR to compliment Gronk and Dobson, neither of whom seemed to stay healthy.

People are so literal. Really??

Their Games Played # is sub par otherwise nothing.

Well considering we have 2 very valid options filling that spot -with a QB like TB where we've never exactly been in dire straights to throw it up for grabs - going by what's available out there right now with the kind of height and size you want, our salary cap, and judging by your name...

Aaron...give it up man, you ain't getting out.;)

Well considering we have 2 very valid options filling that spot -with a QB like TB where we've never exactly been in dire straights to throw it up for grabs - going by what's available out there right now with the kind of height and size you want, our salary cap, and judging by your name...

Aaron...give it up man, you ain't getting out.;)

Clever...I say make a play for Gonzo. Offer him a deal where he comes in after game eight. Similar to Seau and give him a shot at a ring. Putting Gonzo, Gronk, Edelman, Dobson and Amendola out there as targets along with possibly Vereen and Thompins. That would most excellent and Dobson/Gronk/Gonzo would be a tough troika to stop in the red zone for any team. :)

Clever...I say make a play for Gonzo. Offer him a deal where he comes in after game eight. Similar to Seau and give him a shot at a ring. Putting Gonzo, Gronk, Edelman, Dobson and Amendola out there as targets along with possibly Vereen and Thompins. That would most excellent and Dobson/Gronk/Gonzo would be a tough troika to stop in the red zone for any team. :)

Does he have his Obamacare paid up? Because if not...I'm not interested.

He's a Raven.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m

Ravens and WR Steve Smith reached agreement. He's a Raven.

He's a Raven.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m

Ravens and WR Steve Smith reached agreement. He's a Raven.

I can live with that.

My dreams are crushed. Time to let this thread die. Came so close...

Well at least I know never to listen to anything Eric Edholm twits. So much for other visits...

PS: Sorry Smitty, you're just going to have to retire ringless. You picked the wrong team!

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m

Ravens are giving WR Steve Smith a 3-year deal, per source.
Must be a dummy year thrown in there.

Glad the Ravens signed him and not Edelman. That means there's still a chance he comes back to the Pats

Glad the Ravens signed him and not Edelman. That means there's still a chance he comes back to the Pats

Hope they gave him lots of $$$. More of their cap space used up, making it harder for them to make run at Alex Mack.

My dreams are crushed. Time to let this thread die. Came so close...

Well at least I know never to listen to anything Eric Edholm twits. So much for other visits...

PS: Sorry Smitty, you're just going to have to retire ringless. You picked the wrong team!

Smith wanted to be close to home (North Carolina).

Smith wanted to be close to home (North Carolina).

1 hour flight vs 2.5 hour flight? Either way it's a flight.

I think it honestly had to do with love and 3 years. Ravens showed a lot of love and chased him before he even became a free agent. They wanted him more than anyone else, he took it.

Just badly wanted this to happen, so I'm a bit ticked off since I would have had my 2 favorite players on the same team I'm pulling for. I wish him the best, just not against us.

But IF I he does end up getting a ring....I think I'd still prefer it to be with the Ravens than the alternative, Goober. At least it's not that.

Hope they gave him lots of $$$. More of their cap space used up, making it harder for them to make run at Alex Mack.

Why we need Bengals to keep Hawkins so Browns have to use more $ on Edelman

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back