Welcome to PatsFans.com

Steve McNair, Michael Jackson: politically INCORRECT observation

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Tunescribe, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +414 / 5 / -9

#61 Jersey

Michael Jackson dies of apparent drug reaction/overdose after leading a famous but checkered life, his latter years clouded in controversy. Public reacts as if the perfect Son of God has passed away.

Steve McNair, a married man with four sons, is murdered by his UNDER-21 LOVER, who then commits suicide. Public reacts as though a saintly pillar of the community has passed on.

Yes, both deaths were tragic. Neither man deserved to die. They both were talented and inspirational in their own ways. BUT BOTH WERE VICTIMS OF THEIR OWN IRRESPONSIBLE BEHAVIOR! Even if I was a fan of these men, which I'm not, the circumstances surrounding their deaths would give me pause. Yes, they should be respected for what they accomplished with their God-given talents. But, do they deserve to be lauded as great human beings? When one of Jackson's lawyers said on CNN that "All Michael wanted to do was heal the universe," I nearly puked. And hearing some of these talking heads on ESPN and NFLN, you'd think McNair was Nashville's male version of Mother Theresa.

Where is the PERSPECTIVE? I hate the way this society deifies people in death. Enough already.
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I haven't payed much attention to McNair, but it seems that being married with four kids and having and affair with a 20 year old is normal the way the press is dealing with it. It is not, i have a twenty year old daughter and i can't imagine her going out with a 36 year married man. The whole MJ circus is that a circus,like you said one would think that Christ had died. MJ was a talented entertainer, but thats all he was. The deification of MJ is driven by $$$$/ratings. He had a huge following obviously, but the media has stoked the whole event. By doing this they get to sell more commercial time, its sickning. But at least MJ did something, unlike Anna Nichole Smith. The circus surrounding her death was almost as big as MJ's And all she ever did was marry an old man for his money.

The wole thing is disgusting, there is real news to report and all we get is MJ 24/7. Its time these so called news networks reported the news instead of stoking gossip. So please bury the guy and get it over with.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I'm with you. I totally do not get the MJ obsession. I'm of the age to have "come up" when he was in his prime. I wasn't a fan back then either. Still, I feel bad for his family (as I would for any that suffered a loss), but i am TOTALLY baffled by all this attention for a guy the OD'd himslef. IT happens to tons of other people every day and noone gives a crap about it. All the sudden he dies and the world has to stop. Condolences to the family and all, but lets bury this guy and move on already. :rolleyes:

McNair, I have a little more sympathy for. I'm mean, it appears as his marriage was over (probably due to the side-tailing ;) ), but come on. the dude was gunned down by the side squeeze while he was napping. I mean faulting him, cuz he was doing what TONS of other high profile, rich dudes were doing (even poor dudes for that matter) is pretty harsh. I mean, you can expect it to ruin your marriage, but for the chick to kill you. A little over the top to say "he had it coming".

It's hardly his fault his young 20 y/o side-tang was a crazy-bia*ch who whacked him as he slept, certainly not to the same "destructive" level as MJ's behaviour. Sure, he coulda been at home playing checkers with his kids and all, but to say that he's like some crazy old pop singer who couldn'd go a day without pumping his system full of toxins and balancing on the edge is a little unfair.

IMO anyway.
  4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This is what happens to news and non-entertainment media, which is supposed to be objective and unbiased, in a profit-only capitalist market.

What makes the news on TV, on shows, and in newspapers is mostly just whatever can capture the most eyeballs from the most people.
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Celebrity today is the new street "religion". Idolotry, nothing different from the Romans worshipping Caesar or the conquering generals of the Legions.

Meanwhile, back to earth:

One person I know and respect very much says: "Before I can control the universe I must control myself." Sounds like words of wisdom for everybody, if you ask me.

//
  6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yep, certainly seems bizarrely extreme for the newbie woman to get that crazy. Then again, we don't know what ELSE may have been going on. Must have been SOMETHING that drove the girl around the bend.

But the media treatment: celebrity, ratings whores, anything goes, sicko.

//
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

The wall to wall coverage is sickening, particularly in the MJ case.. last night was thinking about Elvis and all the hoopla that surrounded his death and could not come up with any real good comparisons, except the parallels about excess...

The Steve McNair is a stand alone issue...
  8. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I remember when Elvis died the commotion lasted about a week, of course there wasn't any 24 hour news/entertainment networks then. If there had been the BS would have been epic.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

It's the "Pop Culture" they have grown, they are obsessed with "Sex, Drugs, Anti God, Blame America, Far Left Liberal Bullsh!t"
    They were there when Elvis died, now there are more of them.

They Elected The Present President.

GOD HELP AMERICA
  10. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I remember having similar thoughts the week both Princess Diana and Mother Theresa died. The media treated them very differently. What exactly had Princess Diana done? Not nearly the good the media lavished on her, IMO.

UPDATE: Harry Boy reminds me to say this: Pop Culture--wealth for the few, trash for the many.